Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speed limit
A1

posted on 12/3/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
speed limit

i know its been discussed on here already, but is that the end of it? is there any petition for it?
Id sign one no bother!

Hellfire

posted on 12/3/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
eh?

Give us a clue what the h*ck you're talking about...

Steve

BenB

posted on 12/3/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think he's talking about the plans to reduce the speed limit on country roads down to 50mph nationally....
A1

posted on 12/3/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
aye, sorry...yea the plans to reduce the speed limit to 50
speedyxjs

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah theres a petition...

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

speedyxjs

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
...here it is

BenB

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
.... not that it'll do any good
02GF74

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
yes, I can just see it now, uncle Gordy and his whitehall manadarins sitting in front of their 'puter LCD screens counting the signatories so that once they exceed 5000, they will pop down to the House of Commons instead of being driven home in their big jags and pass the petition as law.

How likely is that?

Clue:

none

How many of these petitions do you think even get considered?

Clue:

none

like I said before, where do you think the money to pay for bailing out the banks is going to come from?

vindicator

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
but will the bill be past (if it does get past at any stage....) in Scotland....but how many police will be looking at country roads in Scotland compared to England or Wales......

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

speedyxjs

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

It worked with the 'chraging motorists per mile' petition, but i agree it probably wont do much with this one

repper

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
ive filled it in and sent all in my email adderss book

02GF74

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

It worked with the 'chraging motorists per mile' petition, but i agree it probably wont do much with this one

any more info., about that one?

was it a serious proposal?

anytone find info., about the number of posted petitions and the number that were actoed on, say for 2008?

Canada EH!

posted on 12/3/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
What's the speed now? In Ontario non-posted speed limit has been 50 MPH or now 80 KPH for as long as I can remember, back to the 50's, My BSA Gold Star had a white line at 30 MPH, I was told that was speed for towns and villages, still the normal speed here in town unless otherwise posted (80 kmh).
tomprescott

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
It was 60 on non-marked main roads but 30 through towns.
tomprescott

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
How was the poll tax stopped? I say we riot! Raze London to the ground - then again any excuse to start a fire gets me happy!
joemotion

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
On the other hand its about time they brought the motorway limits upto 80mph as nobody does 70 not even the filth
tomprescott

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joemotion
..nobody does 70 not even the filth

I wish! On the m4 I always get p*ssed off by the absolute w*nkers who sit in the middle lane or sometimes even the fast lane doing 60-65 when there is nobody in the slowlane!

I've never flashed my lights at someone for going too slowly but they make me feel like it!

A1

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
it kinda worked with the congestion charging in edinburgh, but they gave us trams instead...
im going to do the petition, after all its better than sitting back and accepting it

thunderace

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
i would make it 45mph i have seen two cars hit head on in a bend at around 55mph no one walked away and the kids were belted in the back ,i think if you seen it you wound think diferently.
JoelP

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
i would make it 45mph i have seen two cars hit head on in a bend at around 55mph no one walked away and the kids were belted in the back ,i think if you seen it you wound think diferently.

was it a single track road then?

smart51

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
The petition might do some good. Politicians often propose something just to see what public opinion is. If it is bad, the idea is quietly dropped. It doesn't always work but it is worth trying.
A1

posted on 12/3/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

so...5mph would have saved them??ive seen accidents at 30 end up with those consequences.

hughpinder

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the 50/50 chance of survival is still at about 40mph into a solid object- not sure how that works for a car coming the other way
tommyab

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Speed itself isnt the culpret. Its just some drive without considering the road and/or conditions.

[Edited on 12/3/09 by tommyab]

hellbent345

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
if that was a single track road then it was irresponsible for both drivers to be driving that quickly. if it wasnt then it was irresponsible for whoever was doing the blind overtake. whichever way you cut it it wasnt the speed limit that killed them, it was lack of understanding, roadcraft, skill, commonsense, etc etc. Dropping speed limits will do nothing to stop twats that drive along roads too fast for the conditions and what they can see in front of them, and i would say it may actually make things worse as many other drivers may lose all respect for speed limits including the ones that really matter.

For instance i know many many roads it is perfectly safe to do 60 along, that would be ridiculously annoying to do 50 along. So people think, ill do 60 here cos 50 is rididiculous. They then get onto a road it is a lot safer to do 50 or less along, but they still are conditioned to think 50 is a ridiculous speed. So they twat it along at whatever speed they like. So it wont change things.

What we need is for drivers to be educated to safe driving more, and JUDGING accurately for themselves safe speeds and safe ways of driving, not for drivers to be told round every corner they have to go at a blanket low speed where it mostly isnt appropriate. This will just wee them off and lead to total disrespect for sppedlimits.

Also the filth will hide up on roads that are wide straight long and safe to do 60 on with the new 50 limits, and rub thier hands with glee when people doing 60 come past and get ticketed. Even though it is perfectly safe to do so on the road, which is why they (the filth) are doing it - becuase they know they will get a lot of revenue from it.

Educating drivers is the way forward, not giving f*cking stupid blanket rulings. pricks will still drive like pricks.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.