Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft DIY or buy
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/2/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Propshaft DIY or buy

I know this has been done several times, but this time I have eventually made my propshaft, but with a difference.

I had been mulling this over for a few months, but decided to make the prop this morning, I already had a complete Capri prop bought for £35 including 4 RS alloys with good tyres.

I measured the new prop length on the car, and got some 1 7/8 OD seamless tube. I cut the prop to 2 equal length pieces, sweated the 1 7/8 inside the existing prop pieces leaving a 2mm gap for welding. I welded it up, filed it smooth and I am very pleased with it. I am, however, going to spot drill and plug weld along the full length for good measure.

My only question is the existing balance weights on the prop. Should I remove these or leave them on. I think they balance the castings which house the UV's looking at the turning quality on the inside, and I cannot imagine a length of 2" seamless tube would need balancing. Rescued attachment Propshaft.JPG
Rescued attachment Propshaft.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

theconrodkid

posted on 14/2/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
ive done loads of props like that and never had a prob with ballance

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Alan B

posted on 14/2/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep...agree with Conrod, I must have done 20 or so like that...no problems at all.

I think being shorter aleviates the balance requirment somewhat...also while they ARE a critical component, they aren't exactly churned out in a quality controlled lab environment either like some NASA parts....careful fabrication, accurate phasing, and nice welding should give no problems at all...IMO

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nutter

posted on 14/2/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
could try ring around a few places to get it balenced or at least checked if its cheap
stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/2/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
balance and safety are the normal issues.

As you are a time served welder (and I wont be in the car!) I think thats not an issue.

If you need it balanced you will find out!

You could always fit it to the car with the wheels off and chokked up, or your diff drive shafts disconnected (if non live axle) and 'take it for a spin' static to 6,000 in top once you have the engine and transmission working.

Make sure it dont fall off jacks and do 0-60 in 1.2 secs........

atb

steve

[Edited on 15/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

James

posted on 15/2/04 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
We've all seen people who've put up pictures of some shocking standards of welding- the thought of some making their own props is a little worrying to say the least!

James

ed_crouch

posted on 16/2/04 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you ARE a *good* welder WITH a good welder, you'll be doing no different to the professional guy who charges you to do the job. Might as well DIY, carefully.

If and only if you are a good welder though (i hope i do not offend anyone here: don't mean to)...

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ed_crouch

posted on 16/2/04 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you ARE a *good* welder WITH a good welder, you'll be doing no different to the professional guy who charges you to do the job. Might as well DIY, carefully.

If and only if you are a good welder though (i hope i do not offend anyone here: don't mean to)...

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.