Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: advice/help needed
woodster

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
advice/help needed

over the last 6years i have been renting out a house, i've only been round there once just before i bought it . The rent was always paid on time and i've had no problems with the tenant ... the house is now empty and over the weekend i have been clearing out the garage and house ....... the problem i have is the garage has an electrical connection to a street lamp at the end of the drive .. free electric .. how do i sort it out what would you do
James

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Celebrate!

No, actually, I'd cut it.

It's just not worth getting prosecuted for theft for the elec' saving on a garage's worth or electricity.

Then fit a proper wire in from the house.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

tomprescott

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Essentially I agree with^^^, but I would call the council and say it was there when you bought and didn't notice it or that the tenants have done it and get them in to sort it out
designer

posted on 16/3/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
A tenant of mine did the same, and it can be very serious, and cause a lot of problems for you!

Tell the truth.

Call the electricity board and let them deal with it, because when the next occupant moves in, and consumption increases they will arrive, enter your house (they have the power) and somebody will have to pay the estimated back dated bill.

And it is a criminal act to steal electricity.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b4ldd

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is the garage conected to the house by electric? if so then it might not just electric for the garage they have been taking
oldtimer

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree, call the council and report the situation.
woodster

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
think i will remove all the sockets from the garage .. 8 doubles ... and the drier and fridge freezer then phone the council .... what a nightmare
woodster

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b4ldd
Is the garage conected to the house by electric? if so then it might not just electric for the garage they have been taking

just seems to be the garage the tenant paid an electric bill for the house ..... god knows whats been going on in the garage ..... thought it was strange there was an extension lead from the garage back into the house

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see any problem...

JoelP

posted on 16/3/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
growing weed in the garage?

You need to call your local DNO, not the council.

designer

posted on 16/3/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Phone the electricity board, do not touch/cut anything.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 16/3/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
growing weed in the garage?

You need to call your local DNO, not the council.

In a a nutshell ....... anyone need any electric heaters

owelly

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
How many times have you inspected the house in the past six years? The tennent could easily deny all knowledge, and for all you now, the wires could have always been there and perhaps he didn't notice!
Did you use an agent for the lettings? If so, bounce it back to them. Failing that, contact the leccy board and bend over.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I call Economy 7 Now the shorter nights are coming it will be easier to cut the wire and say nowt.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

woodster

posted on 17/3/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone i will let you know what happens when council electric board have been told ......... you have to thats life
Jon Ison

posted on 17/3/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I think I would be tempted to delete this post, remove the connection and say nothing.

I would hate to think You become liable for this and I feel you could, no one is going to admit to it and its your name on the deeds.

May be crap advice but Its what I would do.

wilkingj

posted on 17/3/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I would call the police.

You are liable for the property. Therefore the Leccy board will try to recover their estimated losses from YOU. OK you rented the property out. But you need to cover your Ar*e BIG TIME on this one.

Or just cut the connection, and hope no one notices.

So be very very careful, and if a crime has been comitted, make sure you cover your Ar*e, by reporting it to the police as well as the leccy board. Preferably the police first!

I expect the tennant will just deny it, and say it was like it when they moved in. Hard to prove a case against them, unless you can prove it wasnt there before.

Its their word against yours.

I would definately take some advice on this one!

PS... you hope they were not growing canabis plants on the free leccy

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

DIY Si

posted on 17/3/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like someone set up a weed factory in your garage. It's something I have to deal with occasionally at work, although more the debt recovery side. Your leccy supplier, if they find out, will want the money back. If you can do it discretely, cut the wires and say nothing. If the street lamp was just powering the garage, and you then remove most of the sockets, no-one will be the wiser.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

woodster

posted on 17/3/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if this helps but the guy who allegedly did this and owned the house from new and who we bought it from died 3 months ago ........ all the sockets and lights have now been removed from the garage just the fuse box left ...... we will be going to the police but the neighbours say we should have a good look in the loft first ..... thats this weekends job
JoelP

posted on 17/3/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
landlord isnt responsible for tenants utility bills so why would he/you be responsible in this instance?
woodster

posted on 18/3/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
landlord isnt responsible for tenants utility bills so why would he/you be responsible in this instance?

just needed to get the facts first thanks to everyone and your self joel

woodster

posted on 20/4/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
just thought I would post an update .... went to the police who were very helpfull but not that interested ... tried the council who sent united utilities round .... a few questions and lots of shaking of heads ......... the out come .......fixed with no charge lucky or what .. thank god
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
good outcome, quite funny though. Been in the loft yet? any dead bodys

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

woodster

posted on 21/4/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
good outcome, quite funny though. Been in the loft yet? any dead bodys

the guy next door said there was a gun hidden in the loft ... i found a few boxes wrapped in tape which i didn,t open just dropped them over the wall at the local council tip .... end of problem

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.