Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boo Hoo!
gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Boo Hoo!

I have my SVA booked for the 23rd March, this coming monday, and I can't get the engine to spark.
I will have to phone them tomorrow to try and book a new date
I feel quite pissed off with the damn car now.
It's a ZX9 engine, I have fitted the 100ohm resister, have got neutral light on, earthed the side stand wire. Anyone have any ideas, apart from pushing it off a cliff

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

spdpug98

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
You have my complete sympathy, I was going through the same with my 2003 R1 engine a couple of weeks ago: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=107592

We eventually found it to be the rear light connector block, we don't understand why it caused the problem but it did

I hope you get it sorted

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Bear with me and let me do some digging on the search. I've had two or three times that the thing wouldn't spark. First thing to try and it sounds wierd but it was the same with CossieBri's too. Switch the ignition on and everything then unplug the CDI plug and put it back together then give it a try. Mine won't spark at all without doing this.

[Edited on 16/3/09 by mistergrumpy]

mr_pr

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Not a ZX9 expert but what about the tilt switch, presuming they have one?

My Build Progress

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
No tilt switch on ZX9

garyo

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
clutch switch?
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah what about the clutch switch? Have you had the engine started previous to this?

gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
no not started before, a bit late I know but I wasn't planning on IVA. I thought about clutch switch but can't find the wire, a friend "de-clutered" the bike loom for me. I'll go and look again.

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

roadrunner

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I would do as Mistergrumpy says, iit happened to mine too, just unplug your cdi unit , re-connect it and try again.
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
FYI clutch switch wires are yellow with green tracer and light green, though I don't think this'll be the case as you have the neutral light on. Unless of course someone's diddled with the neutral light wiring too and given it a constant earth. If you change gear is the neutral light going off?

gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, neutral goes out when gear selected. I've just been out and disconnected units but still bugger all.
Should the stand switch be earthed or positive feed?

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Earthed.
Out of interest is the starter motor turning and fuel pump whirring?

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
With the side stand switch i had a similar prob on a zzr1100 just joined the 2 wires together and then got spark after doing all of the same with the cdi unit as posted above,

i would try that not just earth it out,

also have you isolated the engine kill switch from the loom etc or joined wires etc,

hope you find it soon

gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
starter and fuel pump seem fine.
Kill switch?
there's power getting to the coils. everything else works electrical, just no spark.

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same as said, had power to coils pump elecs the lot but no spark,

it was the side stand switch, i originally just earthed it but didnt work had to join the 2 wires together,

kill switch normally on the handle bars of a bike, is a ignition cut of,

good luck again

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yep kill switch or start switch ( the stop part is irrelevant in this case) It would be on the right handlebar and you need to connect a black wire with red tracer to the red wire that is common to the HT coils.
I've the wiring diagram here by the way, I'm not some kind of wire freak

JoelP

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
anyone local you could borrow a different cdi off? Do you have a good copy of the wiring diagram?
gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
yeah have haynes thanks
I think I have 2 black with red trace should I join them both to the redmistergrumpy?
Indybird- I don't have both wires as the loom was cut about to leave what was thought was needed!? Maybe this was my down fall
You've got to laugh, or take a hammer to it!

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Two black with red tracers? That would suggest that one is cut and therein could be your problem. Do you have a multi meter that you could do a continuity check with. You'll see on the diagram where they should be connected to.

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
OH CRAP

yes get the hammer out always feels good,

i had a punch bag in the garage let some steam off,

as said get a multi meter and try to trace back,

good luck again

gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
right, joined balck red trace to red coil wire. still no spark. I have disconnected cdi plug and have power at black red trace wire, grey wire and blue wire.
Now what, hammer?

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's very hard to see from here but here goes:
You are unplugging the CDI and then plugging it back in before you try to strat right?
You said you had 2 black with red tracers? One should be joined to the red wire, one to the CDI, one to the main fuse in the fusebox and one to the fuel pump relay yes? There shouldn't be any more loose ends.
At the main ignition switch, where the key would be have you shorted the wires like the diagram shows so brown goes to white which in turn goes to the resisitor and onto the grey wire and separate to this the red with blue tracer goes to the red.
I'm sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but it does seem that it's not wired right. Have you wired it yourself?

BenB

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd try disconnecting everything and probing all the terminals to make sure they're connected with what you think they should be connected with. Automotive electrics are just a process of elimination.... It'll be something simple in the end!!!
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
An earth. I think I had 3 earths in the end and I also had to connect the block to the chassis with a jump lead before it would go. Try that.

gr8ging

posted on 16/3/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
teach away. I can do most mechanical things but electrics are voodoo as far as I'm concerned.
A friend helped to wire it up. We basically wired it quickly so as it would start(well so we thought) to get it to the SVA.
I appreciate your help and time. I think I will have to slow down and take things more methodically.
I'll keep you posted by updating this post. Please feel free to comment on my mistakes
Thanks again

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.