Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sticky throttle
speedyxjs

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Sticky throttle

My Jag has decided to it doesnt like the weather at the moment. When you stop and the engine is idling, it idles at about 1500rpm. If you then blip the throttle, it drops back down to normal. It is fine when the engine is cold and on start up. I had the throttle cleaned last year which didnt make much difference and i cleaned it with carb cleaner last weekend. It also only seems to happen when the weather is warm. If its raining or cold its fine.
Iv got to do some work on her at the weekend so i may aswell try to sort this problem while im there.

Any idea's?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

l0rd

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Similar thing was happening to a m8s calibra. He had to clean the EGR valve and also some breather hoses. Can't remember very well as this was 4 years ago.
DarrenW

posted on 20/3/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming the jag is an older type without fancy electronics and sensors etc - Is the throttle return spring OK? When its ticking over fast can you go to the carb and push / pull something to make it slow back down to idle?

My kit car did same when i first fitted the bike carbs. It turned out to be combination of badly adjusted throttle cable (too tight, needed a bit os slack) and needed an extra return spring (although this was to cure the fact that the engine didnt return to idle quickly enough when changing gear).

Did you change something to make this occurence happen or has it just evolved over time?

speedyxjs

posted on 20/3/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
No, its fuel injected and doesnt have an EGR valve (apparently).
Jasper

posted on 20/3/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, get yourself a nice reliable Jap motor

Sorry, I know that wasn't very helpful ......

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

DannyC

posted on 20/3/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Might it be the fuel valve sticking?

My XJ6 (XJ40) used to occasionally cut out when slowing to stop (a bit scary as it obviously affected both brakes and steering), this was caused by a sticking fuel valve. A good soaking in WD40 used to clean it and it then worked OK for while. Not the same symptoms, but it could be causing your problem.

P.S. Having now scrapped the car, I have a K&N air filter going spare if you are interested. I also kept the wheels & tyres and front discs & pads, as they had done less than 500 miles, but a bit too heavy to post.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Which Jag do you have? Have had a couple of problems with distributor flyweights sticking causing over advance ignition timing at idle which will cause the idle to be too fast. If it has an idle speed control valve take it off and clean it.
speedyxjs

posted on 21/3/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Which Jag do you have? Have had a couple of problems with distributor flyweights sticking causing over advance ignition timing at idle which will cause the idle to be too fast. If it has an idle speed control valve take it off and clean it.

97 X300 3.2

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.