Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Securing laptop
scutter

posted on 20/3/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Securing laptop

Just had a thought about securing my laptop whilst on track. I'd like get some MS logging at the upper end of the rev range.

Any ideas before 4am tomorrow as that's when i'm setting off?

Cheers Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 20/3/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sticky backed Velcro on the laptop and the passenger footwell? It holds very well if the surface is clean and flat...
Hellfire

posted on 20/3/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with that - it'll take some right hammer though - the vibrations are incredible. Alternatively place it into a suspended bag to damplen the vibrations.

I wouldn't personally but it's your call...

Steve

JUD

posted on 20/3/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry Dan, you won't be going that quick.

I'll get my coat

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Keith Weiland

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you are worried about vibration just get a solid state hard drive. 30gb ones start at about £90
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Dan have a great day - don't forget the sun-cream!
Last weekend at Goodwood they were adamant no loose object in the car (including Hand-held cameras).
At this late stage can you not join lots of zip-ties together and secure it criss-cross to the floor on some foam?
Cheers, Pewe

scutter

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Martin Bog off. I was thinking of securing it in a rucksack weaved into the passenger harness.

I won't be using it in the first session, i want to see how close i've got on the road.

See you in the morning Mart.

ATB Dan.

paulf

posted on 20/3/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
To late for now but I use a palm PDA, it is small and light and is not damaged by vibration.You can fit to the dash with velcro and also use it as a readout of engine variables.
There is a section on the megasquirt site dealing with there use.
Paul.

flak monkey

posted on 21/3/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I usually get a passenger to hang on to mine

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scutter

posted on 22/3/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I got Conrod to hold the laptop once I was happy lapping the track, very helpful to tune the above 5500rpm range.

Time to look into the Pda route.

ATB Dan.

scutter

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I give up, does anyone have a link showing the basics?

ATB Dan.

Staple balls

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
If I was trying to run a laptop in that sort of situation, I'd make some kind of shock cord harness for it (I'll doodle something if you want). It'd (probably) dampen the shocks enough to avoid damage/hdd problems, but allow some movement to avoid it shaking to death.

Also, replacing the HDD with an SSD, and gaffer taping the battery in might be sensible.

scutter

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry should have said, Basics about using a PDA, I can't imagine the trackday organiser liking a laptop swinging about in the passenger compartment, they were pretty sharp about having windows done up to stop anyones arms flaying about if it nasty.

ATB Dan.

Staple balls

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, that's no fun, do they have no sense of adventure?

scutter

posted on 22/3/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote

paulf

posted on 22/3/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Dan
Go onto the main megasquirt site , scroll down the discussion forums and there is one for Palm based software.
It will take a bit of reading to work out what you require as some palms are better than others for this purpose.I have a palm 111c with 8 meg of memory that works well, they are less than £20 on ebay.You need to download the software and install it then confirure it to your set up.You will end up with a dash mountable display that will log your readings and can then be down loaded to the lap top for editing with megalog etc.
There is also Palm tune which enables the fuel and spark maps to be altered on the go, i think this was originally designed to be used on motorbikes etc and has an easy to view display that can be locked by a touch of a button so as you can pull over and modify one area of map etc.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Sorry should have said, Basics about using a PDA, I can't imagine the trackday organiser liking a laptop swinging about in the passenger compartment, they were pretty sharp about having windows done up to stop anyones arms flaying about if it nasty.

ATB Dan.

scutter

posted on 23/3/09 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Paul.

ATB Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.