Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser cutting
Matthew_1

posted on 18/2/04 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Laser cutting

Has anyone out there had any parts laser cut, and if so, was it particularly expensive? I'm thinking of getting some parts cut for rear uprights to get them spot on.
ned

posted on 18/2/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Merlin 'the laserman' does that sort of thing, though I haven't seen him post in ages..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thommy2

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I have a laser at work. I'll will cut out all sheetmetal parts.

Cost are normally quit high, but I only pay for the materials, so that almost for free.

nutter

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
cool u get paid to play with lasers u got a great job
locoboy

posted on 18/2/04 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't Joelp have a plasma cutter? or am i imagining things again.

-note to self :pull a sicky when hungover-

ATB
Locoboy

JamJah

posted on 18/2/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I know some colleges that have cutters of several varieties ranging from new to old. They often look for work on the side to help colege budgets. They also know their equipment as well as a compnay!
David Jenkins

posted on 18/2/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I was told that the biggest cost was producing the set of instructions for cutting - the cost of producing 100 items was little more than the cost of the first item, little more than the cost of the metal itself.

(if that makes sense... )

David

James

posted on 18/2/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, Merlin's said similar.

The cost of firing up the laser (for anything) is (IIRC) about 30 quid. After that he was chucking in whatever he wanted!

James

Terrapin_racing

posted on 18/2/04 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget HP water cutting too!
Flamecutting (cnc) is now very accurate/clean. I've canvased a few companies for some example prices. I'll keep you posted when I get responses -

1st one ..................................

Dear Sir,

Yes we can accommodate most trial / small batch qty enquiries / orders and supply numerous automotive / custombuild car parts already.
In order to provide price we would require some representation of drawings / sizes / qtys etc..

current capacity covers mildsteel upto 20 thk - stainless upto 15 thk - brass upto 6 thk and aluminium upto 10 thk

Best regards

Andrew
Andrew.Hanks@esplaser.com
http://www.esplaser.com/contact.html Rescued attachment a_cover.jpg
Rescued attachment a_cover.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 18/2/04 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
No one fancy getting a quote for some wire cutting?

Anyone else seen it being done? It's way cool and you can do really 'deep' cuts with it. Cost a blinkin fortune though!

James

locoboy

posted on 18/2/04 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Girlfriends dad is a toll maker and they have wire cutting facilities, i have seen it cut through 4 inch tool steel in one pass and leave a square hole on the top side and turn it over and it has a circular one on the bottom! Awesome technology.

ATB
Locoboy

thommy2

posted on 18/2/04 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
off topic,

What is a toll maker??

flak monkey

posted on 18/2/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Think it was a typo, meant to say tool, at a guess

Never mind we all do it

Cheers

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 18/2/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Doesn't Joelp have a plasma cutter? or am i imagining things again.

-note to self :pull a sicky when hungover-

i got one, but im no good at following a plan! I havent worked out how to guide the torch better, currently just clamp a piece of wood to the metal and it cuts a half inch to one side. compound shapes are currently a big no no!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/2/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
We used to jigsaw templates out of shuttering ply, good for low quantity production runs

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Alan B

posted on 19/2/04 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
No one fancy getting a quote for some wire cutting?

Anyone else seen it being done? It's way cool and you can do really 'deep' cuts with it. Cost a blinkin fortune though!

James

Yes, wire EDM is very expensive indeed, and I'm not aware of any car part applications...it is really a VERY high end toolroom process accurate to tenths of thousandths of an inch (micron territory).....We just had some vee-grooves (about 1/4 mm deep) wired cut in some hardended stainless for a precision medical application...Very expensive..

For anyone who is not familiar the process is similar to a vertical bandsaw but instead of a blade it uses brass wire and electric current to do the cutting..

http://www.charmillesus.com/products/isedmforyou/isedm.cfm
http://www.charmillesus.com/products/wire/wire.cfm

blueshift

posted on 19/2/04 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
That looks very interesting.. I wonder what specifics you need to get it working, the principle looks simple enough.

I want a homebrew EDM machine to go with my homebrew TIG..

Le1gh

posted on 19/2/04 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a good explanation:

http://www.xactedm.com/pages/edmtech.html

Matthew_1

posted on 19/2/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've now ordered my parts from ESP laser cutting http://www.esplaser.com/ Individual parts are reasonably priced (others I tried were just stupid money!) the face of my uprights (custom design) which is an irregular shape about 6" x 3" - 3/16" thick with four mounting holes and one large central hole is about £7 inc vat, metal and delivery. Smaller bits like mountings that go on the top are about 50p each. So not bad prices really if you're looking for really acurate work.
Terrapin_racing

posted on 19/2/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Matt, they were very responsive - wanting some drawings to quote on. You've gone a step further and given them a job.
I must admit, bracket making is the most tedious job in some cases - 1/4 inch plate - ouch! - made a diff brace by hand once - never again.

Right - must get in garage and sort what I need!

James

posted on 19/2/04 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
and I'm not aware of any car part applications...it is really a VERY high end toolroom process accurate to tenths of thousandths of an inch (micron territory

Formula 1 gears IIRC!

Maybe you meant production cars though?

James

Alan B

posted on 19/2/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
and I'm not aware of any car part applications...it is really a VERY high end toolroom process accurate to tenths of thousandths of an inch (micron territory

Formula 1 gears IIRC!

Maybe you meant production cars though?

James

Yes I did.
I have been involved in a lot of gear cutting also, and near heard of wire cut gears....not disputing your comment about F1 gears, because it would obviously work very well.....I can't imagine it is a regular thing....but hey I've been wrong before..

James

posted on 19/2/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
....not disputing your comment about F1 gears, because it would obviously work very well.....I can't imagine it is a regular thing....but hey I've been wrong before..

Go on, please dispute it- and then put money on it!

Go on, dare you to bet me $100 they don't!

James

GO

posted on 19/2/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of requitements did they have on the designs? drawings, templates?
Alan B

posted on 19/2/04 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
....not disputing your comment about F1 gears, because it would obviously work very well.....I can't imagine it is a regular thing....but hey I've been wrong before..

Go on, please dispute it- and then put money on it!

Go on, dare you to bet me $100 they don't!

James

Aha...you see I didn't say they didn't (because I don't know)....just that I thought that wire cut gears would be in the minority..IMO...if more than 50% of F1 gears are wire cut then I'll hold up my hand....

<begin excuses> As I say though we all learn all the time and if I'm wrong (entirely possible) then I will have learned my new thing for the day...and after all it is 10 years since I designed my last gear.....<end excuses>

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.