Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone got a sealey metal folder
andrew-theasby

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got a sealey metal folder

Im thinking of buying a metal folder and the widest one i can find (afford) also happens to be cheaper than the rest for some reason. Without spending £150+ (i know ill regret it in the long run) im thinking of getting this one but cant see how you clamp the metal down. Anyone got one? Thoughts, reccomendations please? ps its 760mm wide

[Edited on 4/4/09 by andrew-theasby]

RichardK

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you clamp that long bit of plate thats pictured in front of the gizmo to the top of the sheet when its all flat, and then lift the handle to form the bend.

Reckon you could only do something like 700mm wide so you'd have enough space at the edge to get the g clamps in either side.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 4/4/09 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gav

posted on 4/4/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i have one, used it to bend the flaps on my tunnel covers.

The big flat metal bar you put over the sheet you want to fold and you get 2 G clamp type things with it to clamp the lot down.

Its not brilliant but for the sake of having something in the garage to do small folds with its fine.
For full width folds its not stiff enough and will cause a larger radius in the center.

andrew-theasby

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
i see, thought as much, suppose i could weld a bit of flat bar on to stiffen it up if necessary. As you say handy to have though. cant really find any alternatives for similar money without going narrower.
twybrow

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not make one? It looks quite simple....
andrew-theasby

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I could and probably will in future but times precious at the mo and if i start spending a day making a tool to do a 5 min bending job, well- thats the reason the cars taken so long to get to this stage if you see what i mean, whereas if this will do with just a bit tacked on to stiffen it up then problem solved (temporarily )
twybrow

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
If its for one or two jobs, surely it is better just to take your metal to a local metal workers, and slip 'em a few beer tokens to make the bends for you?
andrew-theasby

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly, but if they need tweaking (not all 90) it would be easier to have my own. i know what your saying though.

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andrew.

I don't know if you read my thread "box & pan folder wanted" but when I find one my home made folder will be for sale.

I'm redundant at the end of next week and intend to upgrade some of my gear and try to make a living self employed.

I'm looking at a couple at the moment and if they don't go for silly money I will bit on them.

Mine is made from a 1m length of 200mm pfc with 200 x 20mm flat hinged to it.
Handles and stand are bolt on. (see pic)

It's made fuel tanks from 0.7 s/s and 1.5 ally and did the double folds on my bonnet.

Looking for £75 (when I have my B&P)

Cheers
Paul G

edit.
Bit on them???? I think I mean "bid on them"

[Edited on 5/4/09 by 907]

Edit to add:- NOW SOLD (I got £77 on eBay)

[Edited on 21/4/09 by 907]

Vindi_andy

posted on 6/4/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a machine mart one which goes in a vice iirc its about 30" wide and does very nice bends in 1.6 mm ali.

The top bar is quite substantial and does flex when doing full width bends. For bends less then that width I can recommend it.

ballcock

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I bought one from wolf craft it was better value than machine mart similiar to the one you are showing but has an angle iron top bar for better strength
andrew-theasby

posted on 12/4/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
cant find it on the website, where did you get it?
ballcock

posted on 20/4/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Try wolf.tv £25 at the moment + £10 delivery
andrew-theasby

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
i cant believe that just happened, i just bought one on ebay now, then literally minutes later the link to this one came through!!! and yes it is cheaper for anyone else looking, that wolf one is the cheapest one to be had. Thanks for the link anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.