Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmets - What to look for?
craig1410

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Helmets - What to look for?

Hi guys,

I know there are other threads listing sources for good value helmets but what I would like to know is what I should look for in terms of british standards (or similar) in order to ensure that it is up to the job for kitcar use with no windshield? Specifically I am thinking of visor quality and shatter resistance but would be interested in other standards which might be required for occasional track use.

My ideal helmet would be cheap (actually free would be even better...) and would protect against stones and bumble-bees, would be comfortable, suitable for track use, look cool (or at least not uncool) and have a headset included so that I can plug in an intercom.

I noticed that Aldi and Lidl were selling them recently but I don't know if these helmets would stop a housefly, never mind a speeding piece of granite! How would I know?

Thanks,
Craig.

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest you get your helmet to match the colour of your car...

*snigger*

All helmets have to meet certain minimum standards, and would be up to the job, dont get drawn into the aria name trap. the vast majority of cheap helmets are just as safe.

The main difference you will note between cheap and expensive helmets is

1) wind noise is much worse of cheap helmets
2)Weight, cheap helmets tend to weigh alot
3) vents, visors steam up, and good ventilation which you get on more expensive helmets helps (though a pinlock on a cheapy works fine too)
4) comfort, expensive helmets are alot more comfy, but different helmets suit different shaped heads, I've had a very many in my time and the best one I ever had was a shoei, same as the police use.

You can get aftermarket intercom kits, so i;d recommend going to a good bike shop with a big choice and trying a load on. Hine Gerike (SP?) have a good range and are nationwide.

mookaloid

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you aren't competing in any sort of motorsport, it really doesn't matter - wear what you like

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

alistairolsen

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
for racing, buy the best you can afford and look after it.

For a locost on the road,where youre protecting against stones and stuff, not bouncing down the road at 180mph on your head, Id buy cheap and cheerful bike helmets for about £40 and replace them often as they will get dented and chipped so IMO its more important to keep changing them than to have a good brand name

handyandy

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I suggest you get your helmet to match the colour of your car...

*snigger*

All helmets have to meet certain minimum standards, and would be up to the job, dont get drawn into the aria name trap. the vast majority of cheap helmets are just as safe.

The main difference you will note between cheap and expensive helmets is

1) wind noise is much worse of cheap helmets
2)Weight, cheap helmets tend to weigh alot
3) vents, visors steam up, and good ventilation which you get on more expensive helmets helps (though a pinlock on a cheapy works fine too)
4) comfort, expensive helmets are alot more comfy, but different helmets suit different shaped heads, I've had a very many in my time and the best one I ever had was a shoei, same as the police use.

You can get aftermarket intercom kits, so i;d recommend going to a good bike shop with a big choice and trying a load on. Hine Gerike (SP?) have a good range and are nationwide.

totally agree with all said here, i,m an ex bike racer & went thru quite a few helmets in my racing career, the best i ever had was a Shoei but it wasn,t the top of the range one, if working to a reasonable budget try & get one of "last years colours" as these seem to sell cheaper even tho they have the same/similar spec to the current range.
andy

tomblyth

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
go to a bike shop and buy the one that fits best, you could buy the best that money can buy but if the fits wrong it wont protect you! I have an HJC which is perfect , I liked the Aral but there sizing does'nt give as good a fit!
owelly

posted on 5/4/09 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
For biking, buy the helmet that reflects what you think your life is worth!! I have a Shoei shaped head so that's what I buy!
For goofing about in the car, you're looking at stopping bees, mud, gravel etc from making a mess of your eyes, teeth, head etc....
I've also seen the cheap lids in LIDL and if I was looking for a helmet for the car, that's what I'd buy IF IT WAS COMFORTABLE!! Put one on and if it feels tight anywhere, it will be very uncomfortabe after long use! My chum bought a very expensive Arai but it's too tight over his forehead so he's now spent £30 on a Nitro......he says its the best £30 he' spent!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 6/4/09 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys, I was a bit worried about spending only £40 or so on a helmet as I was assuming that the visor must be made of cling film or something. Obviously if I was a biker I would spend more and get a more substantial skid lid but for the Locost it sounds like something a bit cheaper is all that is required. Ideally I want to buy two, one for an occasional passenger, but I'm not sure how practical this will be with regards to the size. My kids will want to come out in the car (15, 12, 10 years old) and some of my mates will want to come too (at least once...) so maybe a pair of motocross goggles would be better bet?

Thanks again,
Craig.

tomblyth

posted on 6/4/09 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
don't think I'd look at it from the point of view that the cars safer ! Bike or Car the cost of a new lid is small compared to the cost of a head! £ 100 buys a quality lid ! and if its just fly's and poo from the roads! just buy some Birdz
link 1

link 2

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I’d wear a helmet rather than goggles with no windscreen as bumble bee’s feel like you’ve been hit by a golf ball. As long as the visor has a E mark it should be tested correctly.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
As said above - go to a big bike shop and see what's on offer. Last week I went to M&P in Gorseinon (nr Swansea) and got a 'last year model' that was originally on sale for £140 - cost me £40).

It's important to try on the helmets - it should be a snug fit, but not pressing on your head anywhere (across the forehead is the most common for me). They do loosen a bit though. When it's on and done up properly, grab the chin piece and try and move the helmet around your head, up and down and sideways. You shouldn't be able to move it very much.

iank

posted on 6/4/09 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
A car helmet is better than a bike helmet for use in a car, unsurprisingly, both due to aerodynamic design (head/neck angles are very different between cars and bikes) and in the types of accident the are designed to deal with (long slide with a big bang at the end vs. a roll with the head being bashed off a bit of rollcage/bodywork a number of times and a lot more risk of fire).

A bike helmet in a car works fine at lower speeds to keep the flys, stones and wind off your face but at higher speeds (>70mph) it will pulled upwards and be uncomfortable. If in a big scary barrel roll crash I'd be happier to be wearing a car helmet.

Sadly good car helmets seem to cost a lot more money for the same quality simple due to the economics of scale.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

twybrow

posted on 6/4/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
i bought two of these for when my car is on the road. They seem great value, and are very comfy.... should be adequate at stopping ballistic bumble bees!
David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Never mind bumblebees - we get stag beetles flying around our village for a few weeks every year! They're about 2.5 - 3.0 inches long, quite heavy, and rubbish fliers - they'll fly into you if you're walking along.

I really wouldn't want to collide with one of those at 60mph...

[Edited on 6/4/09 by David Jenkins]

hobzy

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I have an Arai, but tried plenty on first. Just bought the Mrs a lid from an online bikeshop on the bay for about £40 with a flip front and slightly larger visor as she is to keen on the whole claustrophobic thing. She wont do a trackday in it but it will keep her comfy and safe on the way to Stoneliegh... Bought the littlun a lid too as she has quite a big head already at 4 (one size less than me ) and I'm hoping the noise reduction will persuade her to get in it!

BenB

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Never mind bumblebees - we get stag beetles flying around our village for a few weeks every year! They're about 2.5 - 3.0 inches long, quite heavy, and rubbish fliers - they'll fly into you if you're walking along.

I really wouldn't want to collide with one of those at 60mph...

[Edited on 6/4/09 by David Jenkins]

especially as they're a protected species

I'd try on as many as possible and buy the comfiest. It just depends on the shape of your head. Different brands of helmets are different shapes... I quite like my cheapo Box one (a bit to begin with but quite comfy now)....

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
especially as they're a protected species

Doesn't stop them getting squished on the roads...

alistairolsen

posted on 6/4/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I quite like my cheapo Box one (a bit to begin with but quite comfy now)....

Ive got one of those, for the 37 quid I paid its pretty good!

David Jenkins

posted on 6/4/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth checking the availability of replacement visors, as you'll probably want one in a while.

This place is pretty good, and there are plenty of others.

Simon

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

If you are going the helmet route, make sure you buy a "V-wipe" - it's a gloved finger mounted windscreen wiper.

Have you got down off the ceiling yet

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the advice, I haven't seen anything like that before. I see in your avatar you use a pair of goggles - is this what you normally wear or have you gone down the helmet route as well? What would you recommend?

Cheers,
Craig.

posted on 6/4/09 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I was riding back from a bike meet a while back and saw the biggest moth I've ever seen...

It covered at least 6" of my visor.

Paul G

wilkingj

posted on 7/4/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Go to the BMF bike show (one at Peterbourough in May)

Linky

You can try lots of helmets on to find one that fits and is comfortable.
I got mine there ACU gold stamp approved, and only £40.

It was worth the visit. Loads of other bike gear at good prices. Got a Frank Thomas aquapore jacket for £40 reduced from £140. OK no kevlar armour panels, and a reject (I still cant find anything wrong with it. Mostly mail order returns they cant sell as new).
3 pairs of bike gloves for £5 each pair.

Good bargains to be had there.
Highly reccomended!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Simon

posted on 7/4/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Go to the BMF bike show (one at Peterbourough in May)

Bit far from Kilmarnock

Craig,

I use the googles in milder weather and the bash hat when colder/wet. Also for cold weather I have a thing that covers nose down to chin with velcro fastenings behind head - helps keep wing out and far safer than having a scarf flowing in the wind.

Much as I like driving without screen, it does kind of defeat point of having a car with no roof to then head with helmet, so when I get my roll bar on, it'll have a removeable screen/wipers though

ATB

Simon

zilspeed

posted on 7/4/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
By one that.

Fits well
Has a BS sticker.

You live in Kilmarnock, so it's only a matter of time before you'll want to do some sprints at Kames. The Scrutineer will take no notice of an ACU sticker - BS sticker is required.

Other than that, fill yer boots.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.