Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy suspension alignment
Justin R

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy suspension alignment

Hello,

I'm looking to get my MK setup and was wondering peoples thoughts and experiances on this. My rear tyres are going off on the outsides so i know i need more camber but this may be down to corners rather than just straight line wear. Speaking to MK they say 0 toe, front caster -5 geg, rear camber -1 deg. They do use -2 deg on their track car.

My mk has a sbd252 kit, i am looking to fit sticker 888's on so i'd like to get even wear from the rears. Fronts wear fine but i could do with a bit more grip like most. Been meaning to make up a splitter to help.

Kind Regards
Justin

A1

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
ive been going through the joys of this, got 0 toe, about 1.5 degrees negative camber each side (tops in) and about 1 degree negative camber rear...shes still a bit twitchy on rough stuff at high speed, can be quite nasty...
jabbahutt

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just starting to look at this but must admit haven't a clue where to start.

I am correct in that changing camber/toe affects the other setting? therefore which should you sort out first or doesn't it matter.

I'm still sporting SVA settings so about 1 degree neg camber and about 1.5deg toe out.

Mark G

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
ive been going through the joys of this, got 0 toe, about 1.5 degrees negative camber each side (tops in) and about 1 degree negative camber rear...shes still a bit twitchy on rough stuff at high speed, can be quite nasty...

Whats this setup like for self centering as My Indy just failed SVA on this today? I have 1.5mm toe out on the fronts and 1.5 deg neg camber all round

[Edited on 6/4/09 by Mark G]

whitestu

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has about 1 degree of toe in and 1 degree of negative camber at the front.

The rears are 0 degrees camber.

Mine is very stable at motorway speeds.

Stu

mookaloid

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I used to set mine up with 0 deg toe in and about 1 deg neg camber at the front.

About 1.5 - 2 deg neg camber at the rear.

Seemed to work ok

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mookaloid

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
quote:
Originally posted by A1

Whats this setup like for self centering as My Indy just failed SVA on this today? I have 1.5mm toe out on the fronts and 1.5 deg neg camber all round

[Edited on 6/4/09 by Mark G]

Sounds pretty close to the set up I used to run and mine used to self centre really strongly.

If it was really twitchy at higher speeds I could largely dial it out with shocker settings.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

idl1975

posted on 6/4/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just had mine set with the MK recommended "road" settings and have since done a track day.

Worked just fine, although my tyres are made of solid granite and my front springs are too hard. Good balance between decently quick response to steering inputs and stability at both ends. It works the outside of the rears harder than the rest of the tyre, but stability and progression in oversteer were both very good. Fronts aren't suffering any unusual wear, but then the compound is so hard I'm not sure it'd be possible to tell.

Edit: Not twitchy at all at speed on a bumpy track, although bumpy roads with nasty camber changes I haven't tried yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Justin R
Hello,

I'm looking to get my MK setup and was wondering peoples thoughts and experiances on this. My rear tyres are going off on the outsides so i know i need more camber but this may be down to corners rather than just straight line wear. Speaking to MK they say 0 toe, front caster -5 geg, rear camber -1 deg. They do use -2 deg on their track car.

My mk has a sbd252 kit, i am looking to fit sticker 888's on so i'd like to get even wear from the rears. Fronts wear fine but i could do with a bit more grip like most. Been meaning to make up a splitter to help.

Kind Regards
Justin

[Edited on 6/4/09 by idl1975]

nstrug

posted on 6/4/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm what idl1975 said. The setting we used were 1deg toe out at the front, and 1deg negative camber at the front and back (rear toe non-adjustable).

Nick

quote:
Originally posted by idl1975
Just had mine set with the MK recommended "road" settings and have since done a track day.

Worked just fine, although my tyres are made of solid granite and my front springs are too hard. Good balance between decently quick response to steering inputs and stability at both ends. It works the outside of the rears harder than the rest of the tyre, but stability and progression in oversteer were both very good. Fronts aren't suffering any unusual wear, but then the compound is so hard I'm not sure it'd be possible to tell.

Edit: Not twitchy at all at speed on a bumpy track, although bumpy roads with nasty camber changes I haven't tried yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Justin R
Hello,

Kind Regards
Justin

[Edited on 6/4/09 by idl1975]

eddbaz

posted on 6/4/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
running toyo,s 888,s 18psi
rear -1.5 deg
front -2 deg
front toe neutral
rear ride height 120mm
front ride height 110mm
front and rear shocks 5 clicks back

handles great on the above settings,very neutral through corners and 4 wheel drifts when it starts to let go so settings can't be too far out, also stable at high speeds,these settings are very close to what Paul Fisher recommended to me.

greggors84

posted on 6/4/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1

Maybe try a bit more toe in at the front. If you are slightly toeing out at the front the car will track with the bumps and ruts in the road.

What tyre pressures are you running aswell. Forgot to drop mine after winter storage the first time out. Dropped from 30 to 20psi and it was a completely different car to drive. So much better over the bumps.

Also depends on wheels/tyres combo.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

A1

posted on 7/4/09 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
self centerings not too bad, i think the tyres are about 1.7-1.8 bar front, 1.9 rear (r888s) prorace shocks are at 6 clicks clockwise.
Justin R

posted on 7/4/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I do need to look into the rebound settings of the shocks as it can skip a little on really bumpy surfaces. Because of the ease of this i was just going to try a range of settings and go from there.

I believe the indy is know to understeer a little?

As for the settings, looking at it with a camber plate, my settings were around -1 deg on the rear, i'm going to set them to -2 deg and see what that does.

I was going to get a full laser alignment but think i will trial this first before paying out for settings i'm not sure on.

I have also noticed the rears are a little low on pressure, i'm not sure if thsi will contribute to the uneven wear?

matt.c

posted on 7/4/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddbaz
running toyo,s 888,s 18psi
rear -1.5 deg
front -2 deg
front toe neutral
rear ride height 120mm
front ride height 110mm
front and rear shocks 5 clicks back

handles great on the above settings,very neutral through corners and 4 wheel drifts when it starts to let go so settings can't be too far out, also stable at high speeds,these settings are very close to what Paul Fisher recommended to me.

What shocks are you using?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.