Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Is the clarke 160te over the top?
ned

posted on 20/2/04 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is the clarke 160te over the top?

I now want to buy my own mig welder to finish my chassis off (have been using dads til now) as the chassis is no longer at my parents etc. Looking around I quite like the look of the clarke 160te turbo mig. is this a bit over the top for my application? i didn't want one f the hobby migs with the disposable cylinders as i've heard from various sources they're a bit of a waste of time.

i figure buying a welder is an investment as i'll use it for future projects etc etc. I've just seen that some people have used 135amp welders quite happily which are a lot cheaper.

I'm hoping to go any buy it tomorrow so i can get on with the car.

Any advise appreciated before i spend my money..

link to above welder:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010115161&r=2031&g=105

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 20/2/04 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

The general rule is "buy the biggest and the best you can afford", so this model should be fine.
The effect will be to allow you to weld for longer at the lower settings before having to give the machine a chance to cool - not that this is usually a problem when welding tubes, which is mostly "weld an inch or so, then fidget around until you can do the next weld"!

David

ned

posted on 20/2/04 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reassurance David! I've rung up machine mart and it has my name on it for tomorrow morning!

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 20/2/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Agree 100%....if the bigger machine is within budget go for it....

You won't regret it.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/2/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
You often get other bonuses for paying more money - better switch gear, feed motors, and so on.

All these help make life easier when you're learning to weld!

David

splitrivet

posted on 20/2/04 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know how friendly you are with your local machine fart manager Ned but its worth asking when thier next VAT free day is.
I went into my local branch last saturday to buy a new compresor and he told me wait until March as they are having one of thier VAT free days, 17.5 % off of everything.
Mind you when you want a new toy you want it straight away but a 35 squid discount aint to be sniffed at.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

thommy2

posted on 20/2/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
maybe you can buy an occasion on ebay or whatsoever. For that price, or less, you can find a better one. Not that this one sucks, but anyway...
Mark Allanson

posted on 20/2/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Definately buy the biggest you can afford, for all the previously mentioned reasons, and perhaps the best reason, they last longer, the sub 120A jobs usually expire after a couple of years

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 20/2/04 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
its a nice thought to have the fully adjustable amps, mine only has 2 settings.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ned

posted on 23/2/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
picked up my welder sat afternoon, took AGES to get the settings right, but got some lovely results when it got going...

new toy
new toy

nice weld
nice weld

Ned.

James

posted on 23/2/04 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Definate improvement!

Looks like you're getting a better profile weld compared with before.

Less like pigeon droppings....

James

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/2/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
A nice looking weld, it would be even better if you turn the power up by about 10%, and increase the pass rate, but hold the wire speed at the same.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Alan B

posted on 23/2/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
A nice looking weld, it would be even better if you turn the power up by about 10%, and increase the pass rate, but hold the wire speed at the same.

Beat me to it....

I was going to say looks good except for marginally high build up of weld...certainly looks well stuck on though....

ned

posted on 24/2/04 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
it would be even better if you turn the power up by about 10%, and increase the pass rate, but hold the wire speed at the same.

This worries me slightly as I'm running the welder on one setting below max, and on a 13 amp plug! I'm sure theres a huge margin of error on this sort of thing and if there is a problem the 13amp fuse should blow before it damages the welder, but this means I must be putting a lot of amps through it al surely?

Also the instruction book that came with the welder recommends at these voltage/wire speed settings that i should be using 0.8mm wire, not 0.6 which I am currently using.

yours, a bit confused..

Ned.

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/2/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
My home welder is a clarke 140, its only blown one fuse in about 14 years, used on full power most of the time. You are not going to damage the welder by using it, at the very worst it may cut out on the thermal switch (mine has never done this - unlike my arc whick cuts out after 15 mins like clockwork!).

0.6 wire needs a faster feed that 0.8mm wire as it is the mass of wire that determines the amp used (or should that be the other way around?). Your weld is good, definately, just Alan and I were being really picky, it has a little too much build up, hence the setting advice. You could just weld a little faster with the same settings.

If you do change to 0.8mm wire, get some 250A tips, the difference is amazing.

Damn nice welder

Mark

ned

posted on 25/2/04 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Marks,

Thanks for your help and clarification, greatly appreciated.

Ned.

JamJah

posted on 25/2/04 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if you have seen this ned...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=632&item=2381556382&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

Bout £20 cheaper than the machine mart for the same model and delievery is included in that calc. I know you were looking at the model above, just thought Id let you know.

[Edited on 25/2/04 by JamJah]

splitrivet

posted on 25/2/04 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldnt worry about the ampage Ned I have a 185 amp welder with setings up to number 7 and keep it on 6,used to faff about with it on 4 till my lad who is a coded welder showed me the error of my ways.
I shouldnt worry about current draw those machines are designed for domestic current supply.
I noticed the best aid to welding youve got is that the chassis is on saw horses welded mine up on axle stands and put it on saw horses later,it makes a huge difference welding at waist height,so much easier.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.