Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Tintop LPG Conversion
britishtrident

posted on 7/4/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
My Tintop LPG Conversion

My LPG conversion on the tintop R75 is now about 1/3 to 1/2 through, going well. I did a lot of research finding the exact system for my needs in the end got the new Stag-4 system (improved Stag 300) and 60 litre cylinder tank for very good price but of course had to shell out some more dosh for a tank frame and lpg hoses and the like so total expenditure is approaching £575 -- excluding new tools.

I used pollyflex plastic lpg pipe for main front to rear pipe run this save a lot of time over doing it in 6mm copper/kunifer.

All the main under bonnect units are now in place except the fuel injector rail --- finding the best. place for that is a proving bit difficult.
So far about 4 real manhours have gone into the project.

Tomorrow I have two or three hours free so with luck the tank frame and tank will get bolted down and the electrics run from fuel tank forwards to the engine bay.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Surprised Zilspeeds not along giving you a hand

Going to have to something on the p100 when its done.....

[Edited on 7-4-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

zilspeed

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
If I had known, I would have called by...

The best phase is the mapping stage as I remember it.
That's the most satisfying bit.

BT is fortunate in that he's handy for buying gas as he's near a Morrisons.

zilspeed

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
If I had known, I would have called by...

The best phase is the mapping stage as I remember it.
That's the most satisfying bit.

BT is fortunate in that he's handy for buying gas as he's near a Morrisons.

jambojeef

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I run the stag 300 and have found that the mapping is, as Zil says, the most satisfying bit but has virtually no effect at all on the economy - only how it feels.

BT - if I could offer one piece of advice it would be to drill your jets on the small side first - if at all - then open them up really gradually.

Mine are too large and I get relatively poor gas mileage and its definately running too rich.

Be good to see some pictures of the final install though.

Mine was on a 528i and on the whole Im glad I did it - if onyl to weather the whole unleaded price surge last year.

I used polyflex too - so much easier isnt it?

Geoff

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/09 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I drilled the fuel rail nozzles at 2.1mm which should be about the lower end for my engine, the collet chuck on my Woolworth's dremmel clone was knackered so I drilled the first one with a jewlers push drill -- it took me a hour ! So a quick trip to Mapin for a new drill was called for.

The main difference between the Stag-4 and the Stag 300 appears to be the Stag-4 has a connection to the Lambda sensor and the case is much smaller about 1/3 the size I paid £256 for including P&P so I am pretty well pleased. The 60 litre tank and filler cost me £205 inc p&p +£33 for a frame.

The Pollyflex really is great stuff, I am thinking about ordering some 8mm to run to the fuel filler.

Two main problems still to be solved are getting the fuel rail mounted and finding a route to run wiring from the engine bay to the passenger compartment, the way the double engine bay bulkheads are constructed on the Rover won't make it easy .

[Edited on 8/4/09 by britishtrident]

jambojeef

posted on 8/4/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
My stag has a lambda connection too - will check its model number actually to check its the 300.

Double bulkheads were a prob on the BMW. I routed the cable with the brake lines through an existing rubber bulkhead grommet.

That lets the cables enter a box with the brake servo / fluid reservoir contained in it (and the cabin filter as its lid if you will) I then drilled and grommeted through into the passenger compartment from that box.

Has been a pretty tidy way of routing the wires - I hid the stag ECU in that box too.

Would like to see some pics of the job so far if you get a chance.

Geoff

zilspeed

posted on 8/4/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used an existing cable with some slack on it as a draw wire.
Taped the new ones to it and drew them through the grommet.

Might not work for everyone of course.

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
I used an existing cable with some slack on it as a draw wire.
Taped the new ones to it and drew them through the grommet.

Might not work for everyone of course.

Problem is only cables that go through thr bulkhead are the bonnet release and the throttle cable, the main loom goes out into the nearside wheel arch behind the splash shield then turns 180degrees to enter the passenger compartment via the door pillar at glove box level.

Putting the LPG wire through with the bonnet release or throttle cable will be Ok but I also have an oil and water temperature gauges to wire up also and these are going to the centre consul.

The easiest way for the tank multivalve wiring is going to be underneath the car -- in suitable conduit.

I didn't get the tank fitted today as I only had an hour and a half but the under bonnet hardware is almost ready the pipes all tidied up and P Clipped., I even found a place for the injector rail.
Tomorrow I have some unexpected free time so I'll make a bracket for the injector rail and shorten some of the wiring and then do the tap connections using old fashioned soldered on bullet connectors Bolting down the tank will have to wait a week .

[Edited on 8/4/09 by britishtrident]

WIMMERA

posted on 9/4/09 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Do the government have an incentive scheme to make converting to LPG more attractive?.
In Oz we get $2000 rebate for converting or buying a new LPG powered car, Ford charge a premium of $2400 for a LPG powered Falcon.

Wimmera

britishtrident

posted on 9/4/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
No, the incentive scheme wound down when the spent all their funds, and the anti-pollution advantage isn't so great as because of wet climate and conspicuous consumption attitude the UK the car fleet tends to be more modern than in your part of the world.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.