Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MGB timing chain
Aboardman

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
MGB timing chain

I know not a locost question

but how does the the crank gear come off the shaft does it push on or do you need to remove the woodruff key.

also it is possible for this to go on backwards as the one i have been looking has no timing marks on it.

no timing so i need to get the gear off, has been fitted yet that is my next job.

and am i correct in the timing marks should be opposite each other and not next to each other.

thanks

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
linky

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zzr1100rick2

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
crank gear should pull of end of crank i think the bosses on the gear are different lenths timing marks should be facing each other 0. .0

i would just make a scride mark across both gears if there is one of the marks missing

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

earlier model MGBs which have the timing marks located underneath the car on the bottom of the timing chain cover.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thats for ignition timing, cam timing is set the woodruff key a 12 oclock and the marks on the to chain wheels should be aligned with each other.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

earlier model MGBs which have the timing marks located underneath the car on the bottom of the timing chain cover.

stevec

posted on 8/4/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you have no timing marks just get number 1 cork at TDC and the cam with inlet and exhaust rocking on number 4 cyl.

Steve.

Aboardman

posted on 8/4/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzr1100rick2
crank gear should pull of end of crank i think the bosses on the gear are different lenths timing marks should be facing each other 0. .0

i would just make a scride mark across both gears if there is one of the marks missing

I assume the gear should be a very tight fit I just could not seem to budge it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.