Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: has anyone used U-pol dolphin glaze?
smart51

posted on 8/4/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone used U-pol dolphin glaze?

It describes itself as a self leveling polyester filler. It is quite runny but otherwise like a fine body filler. It doesn't self level when I use it, infact the results are usually worse than normal filler. I mix it and apply it in the normal way but I get lots of streaks (grooves) in it and it dries as you leave it, no leveling at all. The surface is harder than normal filler too so more sanding to flat it down.

[Edited on 8-4-2009 by smart51]

Hadders

posted on 8/4/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
We use this every day and its excellent stuff.

If by grooves you mean the raised ridges that appear when using on a vertical surface then that's normal. They occur where your passes overlap at the end of your spreader. Use a larger one if you want to avoid them or just block back.

If its something else you are referring to then how thick are you applying it? It's designed to fill pinholes and minor surface imperfections, not for shaping the panel. You should have the panel shaped to perfect / almost perfect but with pinholes before you use dolphin. Then apply in very thin layers and extend beyond the area already filled.

Regarding sanding, we use 180 / 240 / 320 dry (Abranet) or 400 W&D wet if you want a finer finish. Certainly isn't harder than normal filler. In fact often feels tacky when just lamped off. What filler have you been using?

Cheers

Ben

smart51

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using it over normal body filler where when I've sanded it there are a few small low spots caused by, for example, a tiny piece of grit that caused a groove to be dug in by the spreader or by pulling the original filler too much leaving a gravel rash type effect.

The problem I've been getting is as if the spreader was serrated. Not quite leaving a ploughed field type effect but that kind of thing.

Hadders

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Very strange. DG self-levels in front of you as it goes on so runny. Only thing I can think is you are using too much hardener or mixing for too long so that it is already going off when you are spreading it. Your comment about pulling the main filler layer could be a symptom of this too. Filler to hardener ratio is 'golf ball to a pea' and is very important. If you put too much in then you will problems with application and when you paint, the additional hardener, which is basically bleach, will bleach through making lighter patches. Don’t over mix any filler or it will be too dry to spread. Also don’t keep working the filler on the panel as this has the same effect.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.