Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuning ford 2.8i v6
mikeb

posted on 9/4/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Tuning ford 2.8i v6

I've been told lots of times this engine doesn't respond well to tuning.
As stock in my TVR it should give 160 bhp, not a bad figure. And should be fun to learn to drive it with this performance, but knowing me I'll hanker for a bit more pretty soon.
Does anyone know of anyway to get a reliable 10-20bhp pretty cheap, I'm not after miracles.

The 2.9i has a bit more power and a proper injection system, would be interested to know if anyone has megasquirted one and got better performance than the stock ecu. It doesn't seem to be worth swapping engines as the 0-60 time only drops by 0.1s, so a bit more go out of my current engine woudl be best.

Thoughts welcomed

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/4/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
forced induction would give you what you need and more.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

jabbahutt

posted on 9/4/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
don't know if it's any help, hell not sure if it's the right engine but this may help

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/taunus_cologne_v6.aspx

if not apologies

r1_pete

posted on 9/4/09 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've been pondering this one for a while, I've got 1st refusal on a Taimar with an old 2.5 essex V6, I'm thinking along the lines of a well sorted 2.0 Zetec, or ST170 if I could get hold of one.

Those old V6's have had their day IMO, when a 2.0L can produce more power, more economically, and with much less weight, BIG drawback is you loose the V6 burble.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 9/4/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
hey, finally an area in which i have some expertise .

I used to have a capri 2.8i S.

that said, the best way to tune a 2.8i is to replace it with a cosworth 24v

edited to be more constructive:

the restriction in the 2.8i is in the simaesed exhaust ports therefore changing the induction gives meagre gains (thats to bike carbs/downdraughts/throttle bodies/turbos). The best option IS to turbo charge, but the limit set by the way the engine vents exhaust gases is set VERY low.

The cosworth 24v seems like a fairly pointless change when you consider that like for like its not a stupendous improvement over the 2.8, but in terms of durability and flexibility it blows it out of the water. Theyre not ridiculously expensive for a very well built engine either.

[Edited on 9/4/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/09 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
iirc the 2.8i is rated at 180bhp, the injection setup it’s very basic and dead easy to install. Mine has had both the cabs and injection fitted. Not much heavier than the pinto despite the claims of others, for example the ride height of the falcon went down about 1/2 an inch at the front when I replaced the pinto with the v6. Great engines with tonnes of torque and a nice sound. A bit thirsty though

[Edited on 9/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
efiniste

posted on 9/4/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Craig. 24v would be my choice, you won't get anything meaningful out of the 2.8 unless you throw money at it in my experience.
Although the numbers aren't much different, I found the 2.9 (12v) had a noticeable extra chunk of torque compared to the 2.8 and the swap wasn't difficult to do. The 2.9 also has a full compliment of exhaust ports so should respond to tuning better than the 2.8 once you've got used to the extra shove!

Steve

mikeb

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting,

No new options then:

1. Force induct (did fancy a supercharger)
2. 2.9i, low hastle, cheap, extra 8 bhp
3. Cosworth, mmm could be tempted, whats the output ~200bhp?
4. Fit a V8

Putting a 4 pot in a tvr would be sacrilage.
Anything over 1k would put me into sell mine and buy the V8s version with 240bhp.

mikeb

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-2-9-V6-cosworth-24-valve-engine-manual-gearbox-ECU_W0QQitemZ250403389263QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_S M?hash=item250403389263&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

mmmmm

assuming I'd need custom manifolds?

mikeb

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-2-9-V6-cosworth-24-valve-engine-manual-gearbox-ECU_W0QQitemZ250403389263QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_S M?hash=item250403389263&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

mmmmm

assuming I'd need custom manifolds?

MikeRJ

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
iirc the 2.8i is rated at 180bhp, the injection setup it’s very basic and dead easy to install.

160bhp for the Capri 2.8i. And probably a fair bit more than that in kg for weight! I've read somewhere that these engines weigh as much or more than small block V8's.

[Edited on 9/4/09 by MikeRJ]

rb968

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Willie Green (classic car racer and second hand car salesman ;-) used to have a Capri with a Cosworth V6 and when I worked for Wheeltorque he used to instruct and went out in my S3c with me at Hethel. First thing he said was "You know you can put the 24v motor in this don't you." His Capri was rapid at the Ring and Spa He could run rings round anything and often did on the way over from the UK! I remember he said he had different maps for road and track. Its the engine I always wanted to upgrade my TVR to but sadly had to sell it.

Here's an example of his Capri.
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C65310

Rich

cd.thomson

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Here's an example of his Capri.
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C65310

Rich

omg awesome..

i never should have sold it and bought this damn DAX

Craig

aerosam

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb

No new options then:

1. Force induct (did fancy a supercharger)
2. 2.9i, low hastle, cheap, extra 8 bhp
3. Cosworth, mmm could be tempted, whats the output ~200bhp?
4. Fit a V8

1. - Turbo technics kit's for these engines come up on ebay regularly and do give a substantial gain in power, I had a drive of a capri equpiied with one a couple of years ago at a capri show - impressively fast.

2. Heck of a lot of work for 8bhp - and that is if it's in really good condition and not high milage, a rebuild could cost a bomb.

3. Only really worth considering as a complete swap from a ford scorpio as the injection system isn't the simplest.

4. Put a BMW M60 V8 in it 286bhp and an awesome noise!

My 2 pence worth anyway.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

NS Dev

posted on 9/4/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
later 24v "BOB" code engine makes 240hp bog std on std injection. Take off the airflow meter and run it on megasquirt and its good for circa 270hp, these are EXTREMELY good engines, just a bit heavy.

On a simpler note, the 2.9 on paper is worth nothing over the 2.8, but it has bags more torque in reality (I've owned plenty of both in numerous cars! ) and due to the sensible number of exhaust ports on the 2.9, it responds to tuning.

Look at a eurocar racer engine, they make 240hp from the old 2.9 on a single downdraft carb with a cam and mild head work.

never the worlds greatest engine but actually far better in practice than on paper! They also go on for ever as long as you don't go over 7000 rpm

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

robinj66

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an overbored 2.8 in the shed. It came out of my mate's Cobra and was nice and quick with just a twin choke Weber and decent headers. A fast road cam also helps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.