Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which saab turbo block should i be looking for?
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/4/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Which saab turbo block should i be looking for?

As above.

I know very little about the saab engines, i know that i need an engine after 1994 but does anybody know what block number's i should be looking for?
And which models will i find them in?

Ive done a search and haven't found much, if anybody has some links that would be great.

Tommy

paulbeyer

posted on 9/4/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tommy,

What is it for?

What size are you after? I have the B234R block in my 9000 Aero which is a 2.3L

2.0L and 2.3L blocks of various types can be found in Saab 900's and 9000's from both n/a and turbo charged motors.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

tomgregory2000

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Im prob after the 2l one as it has less torque(give the type 9 box a bit of an easier time) its going in the kit car in place of my vaux red top so it needs the GM bellhousing bolt pattern.
Already looking at winter upgrades or late summer depending on how quick the progress is/money.
Going up the scrappy on sat to have a look around just need to know what i need to look for.

Tommy

paulbeyer

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Tommy,

Over on UKSaabs forum is a guy that has stuck a Saab lump in an Astra van. (Linky). There is plenty of info here that you should find interesting. Also, post a question or two, introduce yourself and let everyone know what you are hoping to do and you should get some sound advice. There might even be a Saab owner local to you that could help you out with the bits you need.
Tell 'em paulb sent you.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

NS Dev

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
in terms of block, any as long as its after 1994, will fit the GM bellhousing pattern

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

paulbeyer

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Tommy,
I have posted a question on UKSaabs forum for you (Linky). If you went for a turbo charged engine with the Trionic T5 ECU software you could very easily get a 2.3L lump well in excess of 360BHP for very little money. Take a look at ECUProject.com to see what people are doing with Saab ECU remaps. On standard components 300BHP is achievable with no more than a new ECU binary - I can email it to you if you want.
Saab engines are bullet proof lumps that are one of the easiest to get massive amounts of power out of for very little outlay.

This is my beast..

[Edited on 9/4/2009 by paulbeyer]

flibble

posted on 9/4/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya,
Im in the middle of doing the same thing with a B204L - Saab 900ng (1994).
I used the engine wiring harness that came with the car and made the rest of the loom myself, much headscratching but it did start briefly so im happy
Water pluming is pretty simple and straight forward.
Gearbox I chose was the Vaux Omega one, simply because its cheap and bolts straight on, slighly unsuitable ratios but I'll live with it (once I get the slave cylinder to stop leaking...)
Be aware, it is a big heavy lump..
As above ^^ the ecu project will be useful I hope, I have the hardware and software now, just wanted to make sure it all worked properly before poking the ECU about with a soldering iron!
If I can be of any help, just ask
Sorry for unkempt reply, just off out.
If you need a copy of the Saab WIS, give me a shout, its very handy (workshop manual)
Kev

[Edited on 9/4/09 by flibble]

paulbeyer

posted on 9/4/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Kev,

You have a U2U.

andybod

posted on 9/4/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
best option is use the 2.0 9000cs (think this is the b204)as a base engine as these are bullet proof be carefull of the 2.0 out of the old shape 9-3(think this is a b205) although basically the same block as the earlier engine they do have problems with the oil pick up pipes blocking up and killing the engines they need the sumps removing and cleaning out at about 60000 miles if this has been done they should be ok ,9000cs has a deaper sump and oil pick up pipe is around 10-15mm higher in the sump other than that fit new timing chain kit as these can rattle hope this helps andy
ReMan

posted on 9/4/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
Tommy,
I have posted a question on UKSaabs forum for you (Linky). If you went for a turbo charged engine with the Trionic T5 ECU software you could very easily get a 2.3L lump well in excess of 360BHP for very little money. Take a look at ECUProject.com to see what people are doing with Saab ECU remaps. On standard components 300BHP is achievable with no more than a new ECU binary - I can email it to you if you want.
Saab engines are bullet proof lumps that are one of the easiest to get massive amounts of power out of for very little outlay.
This is my beast..
[Edited on 9/4/2009 by paulbeyer]

Just signed up, am interested in this if it's a diy option to HP
Been on Saabscene for a while, but not heard mention of it?.........

flibble

posted on 9/4/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Paul and Tom, you have U2U,
Paul, I forgot to add, yes, I did have to order my hardware from Germany - he's the only source that I know of - came quickly and well packaged and only about a tenner I think.

Andy, the 9000 and 900ng share the same b204x blocks, might be some slight differences with wiring etc, Im not clear on that on. I know the 2.3 and 2.0 have some differences in the loom/apc etc but are probably pretty interchangeable too?

Never try and pick the Engine/gearbox up alone if you're a skinny 11 stone bloke, it hurts - I learnt that this evening :'( didn't even get it an inch off the floor before my wrist popped... Boooo

Kev

paulbeyer

posted on 9/4/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, the guys on UKSaabs are agreeing with you mate. Looks like a B204 is the best option for a kit car. Engine numbers will start "B204L...", "B204R...", "B204S..." or "B204E"
A nice revvy little 2.0l, the 2.3 are a bit slower to spool and you don't need 450bhp in a kit car, whatever people may say...

paulbeyer

posted on 9/4/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tom,

You could try the following guy is Somerset for your bits.....

SAAB 9000 Dismantler and Recycler
www.9000parts.me.uk
enquiries@9000parts.me.uk
07967 550726

flibble

posted on 10/4/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Theres 3 or so on Ebay now, quite a way from you though, just be aware that some of them take the DI pack (coils etc, red bit on top) and othe ancilleries off which can add up quite quickly in extras.
I was lucky and managed to find someone breaking their own damaged car, asked them to leave as much as possible connected and got the motor / exhaust /loom / turbo / ECU/ Di pack and lots more for £120 Thats quite a bargain in my book! (unless it turns out to be a duffer!)

Edit to say theres a b207r on there too which i've never heard of before?!?
EBay Likny

[Edited on 10/4/09 by flibble]

tomgregory2000

posted on 10/4/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
So a B204 block is what im after then cool

Tommy

flibble

posted on 10/4/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
scrap the whole idea and go for THIS instead
tomgregory2000

posted on 10/4/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
yeh ok

Oh just foud a quid down the sofa so that one pound towards it, only a few more to go

j30fos

posted on 20/6/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
HI, I did this last year, took the B204L engine to 285 bhp on standard turbo and put it in my megablade and yes its a very heavy engine. check out pics in my photo archive and also on wscc.co.uk. the car was very quick just remember to try and dial out as much torque as possible, the B204L is a torquey beast

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.