Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dohc
guff

posted on 22/2/04 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
dohc

hello, just wondering its possible to get a sierra 2l dohc into a mk or gts jobbe??
cheers

zetec

posted on 22/2/04 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but don't unless you really need to! Pinto is much better option out of the two if budget build. DOHC is not well liked by aftermarket tuners so parts are in short supply, Pinto parts are cheap and easy to source and power is about the same. If your donor has a DOHC don't worry as you can still use the gearbox and other parts as Pinto will mate with Type 9 or MT75 gearbox. If you really must have DOHC go for either zetec/vauxhall XE but cost must be taken into account.
andyps

posted on 22/2/04 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I know the DOHC is not liked, but if it fits it has 125bhp without tuning so for true locost, and less work, it gives more power than any standard pinto.

I'm going to use mine until it breaks or I get something else cheaply which gives more power.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/2/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
The timing chains are renowned for breaking, but only if not correctly serviced, probably worth changing, easy to change, just line up the gold links

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Julian B

posted on 23/2/04 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Robin Hood advert in this months kit car mag. It has a bit about the dohc version of the Robin Hood 2b. You will see the additional costs and the reasons given..... Stick to the Pinto if you can, Your pocket will love you for it.
Graceland

posted on 24/2/04 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
i'm putting the dohc engine into my locost but i got a slight twist for mine - its; the rs2000 flavoured one (same bottom end, but 16v head as opposed to 8v dohc head) with a big hairyarsed turbocharger sat on the side for good measure dont ya just love making things complicated lol

[Edited on 24/2/04 by Graceland]

Fatboy Dave

posted on 25/2/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

with a big hairyarsed turbocharger sat on the side for good measure

Been meaning to ask you about that, see, I have this DOHC XR4x4...

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Graceland

posted on 26/2/04 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
theres the turbo technics conversion avalable which would give you approx 170bhp to 180bhp at 6psi of boost for the dohc, but they are so rare and change hands at upto 1k for the kit alone i made my own manifold for the exhaust when i did mine tho and my own management and it worked really well stick a post on www.interford.co.uk sa theres a few people on there with dohc turbo xr4x4's

guff

posted on 26/2/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
so i wanna get a 2 litre pinto, so does that mean any sierra bfore the year 1991 will pretty much do, even a sapphire? as u can tell, not much of a clue about exactly what to go for....
JoelP

posted on 26/2/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
dohc will be easily recognisable, will have a wider rocker cover etc. sapphire is no different from the others really. quick scan of ebay will find loads, usually still running and maybe, just maybe, local.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JJM

posted on 26/2/04 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
DOHC's are taller also-may be clearance problems??
dblissett

posted on 27/2/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
dohc

i have got a dohc on my garage floor
the problems i hade in trying to use it were as follows
its to tall
the sparks are controlled by the ecu
the injection manifold sits up four inches above the rocker cover
parts cost a fortune
exhaust manifolds are nowere to be seen
same for twin webbers
all these problems can be overcome but because of the cost and extra agro i bought a 2ltr pinto for £50 and its saved a small fortune
ps if anyone wants the dohc engine they can have it free
cheers dave blissett

Graceland

posted on 27/2/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
this is why i am using the rs2000 16v engine (same bottom end as sierra dohc) - my custom inlet and exhaust dont sit higher than the cam cover and the cam cover sits 1/2" lower than the sierra dohc one

sacem1

posted on 14/3/04 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you look in the web for australian builders you will find that they use extensively Toyota DOHC engines 16 and 20 valve ones in 1.6 and 2.0 liter sizes they have even recomendation about transmissions to be used, etc.
Cheers
SACEM1

Peteff

posted on 14/3/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
easy to change, just line up the gold links

Don't forget to inspect the teeth on the sprockets. If they are worn or hooked they will need replacing as well and they are not cheap. Bro in law's new chain failed within 6 months because of this and cost him dear.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/3/04 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
On the DOHC, you cannot get a chain without the sprockets, and only available from Ford. Bit like bikes, always replace as a set

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

guff

posted on 16/3/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
ok i am thinking that a 2l pinto with some webers or del ortos could b the way forward. BUT what about an injected pinto (is there such a thing?!) in terms of reliability and price, and availability. I have been scouring second hand sierras, and a great deal of c. 1990 models re injected. any pointers?
JoelP

posted on 16/3/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
i would re-iterate the points on bike engines. looking back, i just cant see why i didnt pick one when i started. Just scared of complexity i guess... turns out its not complex anyway!

guff

posted on 16/3/04 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
out of interest Joel, what are you building? and I see you are in Leeds, where abouts?, as I am in Skipton.
JoelP

posted on 16/3/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
north leeds, on the ring road just about. Alwoodley. im doing a vaguely 7 based thing to my own design, with sierra bits throughout. Main aim is to finish it and keep gaining experience, so that i can get cracking on a planned twin bike engined middy one day!

are you just starting, started or plotting still?!

guff

posted on 16/3/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
plotting at the moment, trying to get round a minor problem of no garage at the moment!! I would like a screaming road rocket with a BE, but as you say it scares me a little... It would seem simpler just to use one sierra donor... still to make my mind up... also the cost of a blade is pretty steep compared to a car engine
JoelP

posted on 16/3/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
all true as you say, whats really bugging me is the effort i've put into making an exhaust manifold for a crap 1.6 engine! still, all in the name of experience...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/3/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
On the DOHC, you cannot get a chain without the sprockets, and only available from Ford. Bit like bikes, always replace as a set

I got slaged off by some ass on here once when I said that. 'its not a bike' he said.

Its still a friggin chain I said and it will hook and wear the sprockets. Said person aborted his build in the end.

From what ive read on here, a tuned crossflow seems to suit the car most, due to the low bonnet line it allows.

The aussies use the 4AGE - mostly cos of the emission rules in aus. You need summat called a T50 box to go with it, which are rare in the UK.

I looked into getting a supra box shipped from aus for the XJ-S I used to have. If its sent sea freight, its not massively expensive - summat like 80 quid - which if you need to buy from abroad would save a lot of hassle over making a bell housing for summat like a type 9 ford

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.