Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: So how did the ZX14 run at Kames?
minitici

posted on 14/4/09 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
So how did the ZX14 run at Kames?

So how did it go Paul?

zilspeed

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I was there, but can't comment

What I will say is that.

Les must have done work to the engine in the Dax - sounds even better this year.

Drew Murray's new 1400 engine goes like the wind and with flat shifter sounds utterly brilliant accelerating down the straight towards you.

You going to Doune ?

procomp

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Just out of interest ?. Which organisation is going to let the green car compete under MSA with double bends in the front legs of the rollcage.

Bluebook Cc 8.

8. The front leg of a front or lateral rollbar must be
straight, or if this is not possible, must follow the
windscreen pillars and have only one bend with its
lower vertical part. Where the main rollbar forms the
rear legs of a lateral rollbar (see illustration Appendix 2,
drawing 6), the connection to the lateral rollbar must be
at roof level.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paublo999

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Not like you zilspeed not to comment - was I that bad? Why didnt you come and say hello?

I was on a steep learning curve to be honest. It was only the cars first shakedown event to help prepare for the Sunday championship round and my driving was a bit wild to be honest.

Saturday -
Run 1 - spluttering after the hairpin. Checked plugs, fuel pump etc..

Run 2 - spluttering after the hairpin
Completely ran out of ideas so called Andy Bates for suggestions as he is always at race weekends. He reckoned fuel surge, so I brimmed the tank - 40litres of fuel in it but it did let me run. So my nice race tank has inadequate/no baffling in it..

I know this is said all the time, but he really is a super star. Andy Bates you are a gentleman.

Run 3 - no stutter, but was getting false neutrals on the downshift for the hairpin
Adjusted the gearchange linkage which improved things quite a bit.

Run 4 - I was a bit wild with loads of torque and no grip so managed a full 360 spin over the finish line which was exciting...

Bit more gearchange adjustment and played with the shocks. Would help if I didnt have the front shocks setup with one on 13 clicks and one on 0!

Runs 5/6 took 1.5 seconds off each time and managed to get within 0.7 seconds of the winner. Still 2.5 seconds faster than I had been before in the old blade powered car.

Sunday - after much fettling on the Saturday night the car I was feeling a bit more confident.

After some tips from Drew and Wallace Menzies after my first couple of runs, I took the first bend in third which didnt unsettle the car so much. So managed to get my time down to 85.97 about 0.4 off of a well sorted Busa and good enough for second place. A few more runs would have seen me really get my eye in.

I still need to get the speed sensor fixed so that I get full revs/power and it looks like the suzuki one has now blown. Hopefully Malc from Yorkshire Engines can sort me out. Even without max revs I was still getting 86mph through the speed trap, which is really encouraging.

Cycle wings were rubbing on the tyres,
giving quite a bit of vibration, but that is easily fixable with an angle grinder.

Also getting loads of tranmission noise, so that will also need looked at. Prop and or Quite reverse box is clearly on its way out.

All in all, the Sunday should be deemed a success, still a good bit more to fettle and I know that I can drive it better.

Anyone with any suggestions about fuel surge? should I just get the tank chopped or try some foam or other methods of reducing surge?

Going to do another post about my tranmission noises in the MNR forum.

Great weather and good fun. Exhausted yesterday...

Planning to be at Doune, will get the transmission sorted after that as there is a three week break until Fintray on the 9th of May.

Cheers
Paul.

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

paublo999

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

Not sure about the specifics or rules but it does appear that Marc has/was doing circuit racing in a similar car?

Marc's car

Right now I am in the road going class that doesnt require a cage, so am deemed more that compliant. The sprinters seem happy with only a loop to reduce weight, but I wanted a car with a cage, albeit one that appears to be non compliant according to the rules.

I do know that the car was being built to be an RGB racer before they banned the ZZR1400 engines?

Cheers
Paul.

[Edited on 14/4/09 by paublo999]

zilspeed

posted on 14/4/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I was the big ugly bloke standing blethering to Drew and Gordon and we talked briefly about damper setttngs.

At that point it seemed very lame to say, "hi, I know you from the internet".

Somehow the real world is a bit more relevant. If you're at Doune next week, I'll proplerly say hello.

paublo999

posted on 14/4/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

At that point it seemed very lame to say, "hi, I know you from the internet".

Thats how I met wife no 5 and look how that turned out

Cheers
Paul

skippad

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul
Hi while cleaning me garage other day i found the speed sensor, male/ female plugs & wires that i chopped off mine, so how do u intend to wire this back in, considering the speed sensor can't go in original position?.
Youre right about Andy. always keen to help out, fitted billet sump over weekend and Andy was a phone call away to help with queries...sump works a treat!
Fuel surge, is pump in the tank or elseware?
My set up is... low pressure pump from main tank feeds smaller tank/swirlpot with zx14 HP pump intstalled with return pipe to main tank.
Seems to work OK.

Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paublo999

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

I have fabricated a small bracket and stuck magnets on the gearbox output flange which appears to work. I can take some photos when I get it working, hopefully this week As for the wiring there are 3 wires. Ground, a feed to the ecu (blue/yellow) and Pink which went to the clocks. Do you use the standard clocks? You should be seeing error 24 if you do? I plan to document my findings on the blog when i finally get it working.

Do you notice a lack of revs on yours?.

Wrt to fuel surge, I only have the standard MNR tank and a Bosch 3.3 bar pump at the back of the car. Will do more investigation on the car this week. Will probably just run the car 80% of fuel at Doune and then rip it to bits the week after

Cheers
Paul

skippad

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paublo999
Hi Dave,

I have fabricated a small bracket and stuck magnets on the gearbox output flange which appears to work. I can take some photos when I get it working, hopefully this week As for the wiring there are 3 wires. Ground, a feed to the ecu (blue/yellow) and Pink which went to the clocks. Do you use the standard clocks? You should be seeing error 24 if you do? I plan to document my findings on the blog when i finally get it working.

Do you notice a lack of revs on yours?.

Wrt to fuel surge, I only have the standard MNR tank and a Bosch 3.3 bar pump at the back of the car. Will do more investigation on the car this week. Will probably just run the car 80% of fuel at Doune and then rip it to bits the week after

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul
I'm using a Digidash which has a similar sensor which i mounted on a bracket, magnets glued on flange adaptor.
Where would the pink wire go then...is it a live?
As far revs go the only time i hit limiter is when i'm really pushing on, but having 3.14 diff its got pretty long legs.
Malc from Y. Engines suggested putting pump in seperate tank, apparently sidecar lads use this set up with no problems.
Theres photos in archive.

D.

paublo999

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
pink is a feed from the clocks which is effectively a 12v feed, black is ground, blue/yellow is a feed to the ecu.

I rather simplistically ran live from the ignition (circa 12v) to the sensor, grounded the sensor to the engine itself, then ran a wire back to the ecu. I think I have blown the Suzuki unit as it perhaps needs a voltage regulator as the bike voltage can peak to over 14volts. On hindsight I will now include a voltage regulator to stop any spikes and reduce it to the required input of 11volts.

As for the tank, reckon I am going to get it chopped and professionally baffled allow me to run with only a litre or two in the tank for sprinting. Different if it was only going to be a road car.

zilspeed

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
pink is a feed from the clocks which is effectively a 12v feed, black is ground, blue/yellow is a feed to the ecu.

I rather simplistically ran live from the ignition (circa 12v) to the sensor, grounded the sensor to the engine itself, then ran a wire back to the ecu. I think I have blown the Suzuki unit as it perhaps needs a voltage regulator as the bike voltage can peak to over 14volts. On hindsight I will now include a voltage regulator to stop any spikes and reduce it to the required input of 11volts.

As for the tank, reckon I am going to get it chopped and professionally baffled allow me to run with only a litre or two in the tank for sprinting. Different if it was only going to be a road car.

Paul

I have a tank here which might suit you.
Will take a few pics and let you see it.

Cheers

JF

skippad

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi Paul
I'll have a play around with wiring at weekend.
oh by the way...are u running standard clutch?
I hav'nt got problems at the moment...

paublo999

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
standard clutch with uprated springs

no slip so far... loads of torque. I thought it was quick on the roads, but you cant really use all of that power. On the short track is was pretty wild

skippad

posted on 14/4/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
were did u get springs from?

Its what i like about this engine...torque.
when you drive on road yer only using about 70% of the power...
Theres some trackdays locally soon...must book one.

rodriguez

posted on 16/4/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
i really need to get off my lazy ass and go down to kames to have a look about some of the cars b4 i start building mine . Used to do the sprints in my XR2 for a few years down there. If anything just enjoying the road from strathaven to muirkirk will be worth it

get it lit

paublo999

posted on 17/4/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
HI Guys,

Skippad -
My car had them installed when I bought it, but my previous springs always came from PDQ - give them a shout

rodriguez - no excuses, get your behind up to Doune tomorrow or Sunday to see loads of nice cars

Paul.

skippad

posted on 17/4/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul
wired up the speed sensor as per your suggestion.
Got engine up to working temp, slowly brought revs up to max.......... limiter still cuts in 98000rpm no more!
Disappointed.....yes

Dave

djtom

posted on 17/4/09 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
98000 rpm? Yes, I'd certainly be disappointed..... mainly that I didn't get to 100k rpm!

Looks like a serious bit of kit though, on a more serious note!

Tom

skippad

posted on 18/4/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
98000 rpm? Yes, I'd certainly be disappointed..... mainly that I didn't get to 100k rpm!

Me and Paul have lost 1000rpm and we can't find out were its gone!
But to be honest the engines got so much mid range grunt, i very rarely hit the limiter.
Paul thought he'd found the solution by putting the speed sensor back into the loom, but in my case it did'nt work.
Might investigate more over weekend.

paublo999

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
hi skippad

some things to check. I know how frustrating this is

how have you mounted the speed sensor and what voltages are you getting from it? are you able to get a full 4.8v reading from the sensor if you hold it next to a bolthead or something earthed?

I am still confident this is our problem and am just waiting on a replacement sensor to arrive.

I would be carefull that you dont blow it up by passing it a variable voltage - it could peak as high as 14v when you are at full power.

Will keep you updated

p.s. had a better run at Doune on the Sunday and managed to get sub 50secs with a 49.65. Scary place, more to come from me and the car

Paul.

skippad

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
hello Paul
Did'nt actually fix sensor in place, just wired everthing in and taped sensor to loom, reasoning being if the ecu recognised sensor in system, it still should let the engine rev when in neutral...but it did'nt.
Been on trackday today at Teesside Autodrome, car went very well if a little overgeared with 3.14 diff, 3.62would have
suit short track better.
But hey, it was fun.

paublo999

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
the ecu must recieve a square wave pulse for each rotation of the engine

if you hold the sensor to a bolt head and then remove you should see the voltage drop from 4.8 to trace or almost 0 volts.

Once I get my replacement and get it working (being positive) I will post loads of details. Please dont blow your sensor like I did.

Paul

moochofun

posted on 29/4/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
hello Paul
Did'nt actually fix sensor in place, just wired everthing in and taped sensor to loom, reasoning being if the ecu recognised sensor in system, it still should let the engine rev when in neutral...but it did'nt.
Been on trackday today at Teesside Autodrome, car went very well if a little overgeared with 3.14 diff, 3.62would have
suit short track better.
But hey, it was fun.

I know that Suzuki, has in the past anyway, fitted a reduced limit whilst the bike is in neutral. It stops the peeps revving the nuts off them and getting new engines just before the warranty runs out - worth a thought?

Meanwhile the longer Paul has his 'supposed' rev problem the more oftern I kick his ass....

Seriously though, hope you get it sorted soon - fed up with yer excuses already

paublo999

posted on 29/4/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
my rev problem didnt stop me on the Sunday when you finished up 4th...

But yes you kicked my behind at Doune... respect...

I look forward to Fintray on the 9th to give you a good seeing too

As for the speed sensor, I should have the replacement waiting for me at home today. I promise a full write up when I get it working with the new transmission setup at the weekend.

Anyone going to Fintray?

Paul

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.