Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Led indicators and hazards........problem solved thanks
quadra

posted on 17/4/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Led indicators and hazards........problem solved thanks

I have just got round to installing my rear LED lights and I am impressed. I bought them from Aeononline about a year ago, but other things got in the way until now.
Anyway the Rear lights work great,

The brake lights are good as well,

Its the indicators that are a problem, I replaced the front indicators with led lights as well and used a led flasher for the indicators, so that the flash rate is correct. The hazards work ok, although not all of the leds extinguish when they are meant to be off, but the indicators flash both sides when only one side is selected. Although the side that isn't selected appears to be less intense and also not all the leds extinguish. A picture tells a thousand words.
Right indicator on, looks like this

And looks like this in between the flashes.

The Rush wiring loom uses a two pin flasher unit.

Anyone got any good ideas, I hate wiring.

[Edited on 30/4/09 by quadra]

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

YQUSTA

posted on 17/4/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
it sounds to me as if you have the feed to the indicators wired together at some point in the loom.

without a diagram of how its wired hard to say where.

Hellfire

posted on 17/4/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
You need a Universal LED Indicator Relay - 2 Pin. Works from 2W to 100W with flash rate set at 70 flashes/minute.

Made by Acumen - they retail at about £20.

Search on the bay of e - for further details....

Steve

quadra

posted on 17/4/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have already repalced the flasher relay with an led one, just like this, but a two pin version, form VWP.

I also forgot to mention that the indicator warning light also does not work now. The new lights are OK as I bench tested them first before putting them on the car. Do you think there could be an earth fault somewhere. The only bit of wiring I had to change was the earths, as the original lights had three separate earths, but the new units only have one.
Cheers Mike

Blackbird Rush

posted on 17/4/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mike,

I put led bulbs into my rear lights (as i've got clear lenses) and the indicators ran double time even with side repeaters fitted (normal bulbs in front & repeaters) however with all on with the hazards the speed is normal, i just have a std 3 pin relay at the mo and assume i need to either get a led type relay or add resisters into the circuits with the led bulbs.... be interested to see how you get on..

Swapped back to std bulbs and coloured lenses for now whilst going through IVA..

Ash.

YQUSTA

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a feed from both indicators to the same terminal on the warning light you will need to put diodes in to stop the back feed. If you dont have them fitted this could be causing the flashing on the wrong light at the same time.

Strange how the warning light doesn't work at all though I would have expected it to work with both but still have a back feed without diodes fitted.

Check your earth on the warning light for sure.

[Edited on 18/4/09 by YQUSTA]

YQUSTA

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ash,

you will need either a led relay as per Hellfire's post or resistors if you are going to keep the old flasher unit.

quadra

posted on 18/4/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the info, have done a little more today. I was wrong when I said the indicator light on the dashboard didn't work, it does but its not very bright.

So my next question is what sort of diodes and exactly where do I insert them.

quadra

posted on 18/4/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have just tried what has been suggested and it worked, sort of. I removed one of the wires from the indicator warning lamp and the indicators worked properly. Thanks for the info.
I'm a bit thick when it comes to electronics, so where would I put the diodes to enable the light to work, but without the problems.

Cheers Mike

[Edited on 18/4/09 by quadra]

YQUSTA

posted on 18/4/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mike you will need 2 of these diodes.

you need to connect both of the ends without the silver band to the warning lamp feed.

then connect each end of the diode with the silver band to each feed from the indicators.

here is a link to another thread wired slightly different to yours but the warning lamp is the same as i have explained

link to other thread

quadra

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks very much for the help, I would have been stuck without it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Mike

YQUSTA

posted on 18/4/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
no problem happy to be able to give something back.

Do let us know how it goes.

quadra

posted on 30/4/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I did as you suggested, two 6 amp diodes and it woked. Time to get some tax, and go play in the sunshine.

Thanks for the help

Cheers Mike

YQUSTA

posted on 5/5/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sweet glad it worked and have fun.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.