Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 cut off relay
worcestersauce

posted on 18/4/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
R1 cut off relay

have been trying to get the R1 5PW motor fired up, but no luck at all. Initially I could get to the stage where the starter motor would run, and the engine will turn over. This morning when I have tried again, all I get is a click from the cut off relay. The fuel pump and exup also seem OK. I have sidestand and clutch switches shorted, so these should be OK. The tilt switch is level, and I have 12V at the emergency stop switch(blue wire) which I believe to be the feed from the lean angle switch. I am using the bike cut off and starter switches. Is there something obvious I am missing here? I have got to the stage where I dont know what else to try.

Any help appreciated,
Andy

nitram38

posted on 18/4/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
If your fuel pump is running then I doubt it anything is stopping it other than a spark or fuel.
I could not start mine and it turned out that I had no fuel getting through, due to me putting the fuel feed and return on the wrong ends of the fuel rail

The clicking maybe due to a flat battery?
You mentioned lean angle switch and tilt switch, but the tilt switch IS the lean switch isn't it?

worcestersauce

posted on 18/4/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
yes lean angle and tilt switch are one and the same. Starter motor is not even trying now, and the cut off relay is clicking not the starter solenoid which is what happens with a low battery. There seems to be 12V in the loom, so all fuses should be OK, it just seems as if the cut off relay is dropping out when I press the start button.

Andy

nitram38

posted on 18/4/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Charge your battery.
It may read 12v but under starting load, it might drop as low as 9-10v if weak.

bassett

posted on 18/4/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a haynes? worth running it in diagnostics mode if you have original clocks and check the settings match those of the manual then check the injectors all click and the plugs have a healthy spark. Have you got a power commander and with a good earth.

Also check all your earths and positives are tight
Adam

[Edited on 18/4/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

worcestersauce

posted on 18/4/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies. I think it is a weak earth somewhere as well, as it was turning over at one stage. I will charge battery fully and try again. I dont have any clocks or power commander fitted, just the basic bike loom. I am not getting any spark, or starter motor at the moment, just fuel pump and exup. As soon as I press start button, just get a click from the cut off relay and nothing else.

Andy

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.