Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: electrical issues
beaver34

posted on 19/4/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
electrical issues

i have electrical issues, went to start the car the other day, it started to turn over, then stopped after a second, lost power to everything, checked fuses, blown one, so replaced it, still nothing is working, now ive checked power to everything, and all the switchs, and fuses have power, but nothing works at all, whats the next thing to check? or what should i be doing to sort it? thanks al
blakep82

posted on 19/4/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
duff battery? mine used to do that, would run fine, after a drive, stop the car, go to start it the next morning, completely dead,

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 19/4/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition switch? Had an ignition switch die on me once.....
beaver34

posted on 19/4/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Ignition switch? Had an ignition switch die on me once.....

i dont think it has one, its just on a kill switch and push button start, its not the battery its reading 12.6 volts

beaver34

posted on 19/4/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Check all your earth's - particularly the main ignition cables from engine and chassis to battery. Only takes a loose / dirty connection here and it will kill the lot

will do, ive had enough for tonight, but before i left, my engine to chassis earth had 5 volts, which is not good i presume, the car had been sat out in all weathers for 2 years so i the earth may not be as good as they were

Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ignition Relay?

5 volts on earth is definately not good

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

beaver34

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Ignition Relay?

5 volts on earth is definately not good

i carnt find an ignition relay, ill have another look though

worcestersauce

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds exactly like the problem I have with my R1 indy at the moment. Was turning over Ok, then nothing at all through the ignition circuit. Im sorry I cant offer any help, but will be interested to find out what solves it for you.

Andy

beaver34

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worcestersauce
This sounds exactly like the problem I have with my R1 indy at the moment. Was turning over Ok, then nothing at all through the ignition circuit. Im sorry I cant offer any help, but will be interested to find out what solves it for you.

Andy

im sure its an earth issue, going to redo all the earth tomorrow, and check engine over, as at moment im gettin 12v live through the engine when it should be earth, although it changes all the time so something is wrong

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Check the main battery connections.

Both live and earth -all the way through.

If they are loose/slightly corrorded they act lile you describe - start delivering power and then absolutlely zippo.

Clean them all up is my advice.

02GF74

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
chassis at 5 V ?!?!?!

how did you measure this?

if you palce one leat on battery negative terminal and other on chassis and see 5 V, then the lead from battery to chassis is making poor contact.

remove leads, clean the termainls with find wet n dry and refit.

beaver34

posted on 19/4/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
chassis at 5 V ?!?!?!

how did you measure this?

if you palce one leat on battery negative terminal and other on chassis and see 5 V, then the lead from battery to chassis is making poor contact.

remove leads, clean the termainls with find wet n dry and refit.

that is from engine block to chassis, battery earth is fine, my switchs for ecu, and fuel pump have 12 volts, but there not working if that makes sense

beaver34

posted on 20/4/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
redone engine earth today, but im still picking a live from it, so the engine is getting power from somewhere but not sure where, infact even the throttle cable is 12 v too,
omega 24 v6

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think you need to explain how you are measuring the voltages you are getting.
If you ARE getting +12 volts between the throttle cable and earth then there is something far wrong. I'd initially disconnect the alternator cables ( and insulate them as the power is on) and see if the voltage goes away. if it does then perhaps some shagged diodes in the alternator.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

beaver34

posted on 22/4/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
I think you need to explain how you are measuring the voltages you are getting.
If you ARE getting +12 volts between the throttle cable and earth then there is something far wrong. I'd initially disconnect the alternator cables ( and insulate them as the power is on) and see if the voltage goes away. if it does then perhaps some shagged diodes in the alternator.

im testing it with a volt metre on the engine mount, or any part of the engine, i think ive narrowed it down to the throttle bodies, the car never had any issue before, but my engine i run the alternator in a differnt place to what it had before, and the inlet manifold is touching the alternator very slightly and im thinking this is where the issue is, that would make sence wouldnt it?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.