Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: i think im in over my head
omega0684

posted on 19/4/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
i think im in over my head

my mate came over again today about midday with his astra coupe, 2.0 turbo. he said that he reckons that there is oil leaking into the turbo from somewhere and was concerned that it was damaging the turbo,

"ok" i said (foolishly) "lets take a look"

9 hours later and i have pretty much dismantled and rebuilt the engine bay of his astra,

the concerning thing that i thought was when i took the pipe of that connects the turbo to the intercooler, it was filled with oil, when we poored it out it covered the bottom of a washing up bowl and was about 5-8mm deep! the intercooler had oil coming out of it and the indiction pipe leading from the intercooler to the inlet plenum had like an oily vapour condensed all over the inside of the pipe.

what could be the problem, oil seal in the turbo blown?

then he tells me that he needs his car for work tomorrow and asked me to put it all back together!

then he said, could i just swop the turbo for the VXR turbo? i dunno i said, i will ask the boys on the forum,

so guys, whats the verdict, idea's please. would it be possible to do a straight swop for a VXR turbo? would the ECU need remapping etc, what else would be involved?

cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 19/4/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
If the Astra is a Z20LET then you can put the Z20LEH turbo on it....I think the ECU would need re-mapping though because fuelling will be different........

Fozzie

Edit to add:-...probably have to change manifold too...but not too sure....I expect somebody far more knowledgeable with these modern fandangled engines will be along shortly .......

[Edited on 19-4-09 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

001Ben

posted on 19/4/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the turbo has died. You can do a straight swap and will get more power out of it too.

Can it be fitted

VXR turbo vs z20let turbo

dinosaurjuice

posted on 19/4/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
if its a fairly clever ECU it will recognise the extra air mass and adjust fuelling to suit. if its too different it may throw a strop...

my IC pipes and intercooler have a thin film of oil - mostly because the crank case breathes into the airbox. its a good idea to clean them out now and again as it helps keep the IC cooling efficiently.

Fozzie

posted on 19/4/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
We took our VXT220 to 'Plans' for a cam belt change last year........they took it out on the track at Dunsfold and couldn't believe how responsive and quick it was compared with the other VXT's they have had in.....investigation ensued, and it was found that they had fitted a VXR turbo at the factory from new......

We bought the car when it was 2 years old, so I know it is/can be done, but hence wasn't sure what else would be needed to do....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

vorn

posted on 20/4/09 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the oil seals on the turbo are shot ! you will get a little oil build up in the hoses . usually when the seals are gone you will notice more smoke out of the exhaust as the oil is sucked through the motor and burnt .
If there is not too much play in the turbine shaft you can get it re-built

[Edited on 20/4/09 by vorn]

Ivan

posted on 20/4/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't panic - it's normal for an Opel/Vauxhaul turbo, and in fact most other ones, to pass a bit of oil into the low pressure side and this oil condenses in the intercooler - then one day when you are running very high boost it blows the condensed oil into the engine leading to clouds of blue smoke and dirty underpants. All you need do is drain the intercooler and problem solved.

I ran my Opel Turbo for over 160 000 km and never had a moments problem with the turbo, just drained the intercooler every 50 000 km , got out a cup full of oil each time. Also changed the oil and filter every 7500 km. Turbos do like fresh clean oil. Only problem I did experience was spark plug failure, they would fail on long trips after about 2500 km cruising at around 150 kph.

Unless of course it's a blown oil seal, but then the engine will smoke whenever it makes a bit of boost.

So first step is to drain the oil, then run it and see if problem returns quickly.

[Edited on 20/4/09 by Ivan]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.