Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - fixing mtb tubeless tyre
02GF74

posted on 20/4/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
OT - fixing mtb tubeless tyre

tubeless mountain bike tyres are the invention of satan but a bike I have has them on and I have a leak

The try will go soft over say a week so the air leak is tinuy but still ...

Putting the tyre in the bath allowed me to locate a 2 mm nick on the outside but no sign of any damage on the inside.

Easy peasy I thought, little did I know ....

Attempt 1 was to glue using rubber solution (As for inner tube) a small patch, 2 cm square inner tube, roughened up. - still leaking.

Attempt 2 as above but proper tube patch, a big one - still leaking.

Attempt 3 was to cover the area with PU type sealant - still leaked.

Attempt 4, like 2 but use a hoooooooge patch of iner tube, 30 x 50 mm - STILL LEAKING?!?!!?!

I don't understan how that can be!!

My reasoning is that the inner tube patch would be forced againstthe tyre by air pressure so that no air can get under it and escape.

My theory at the moment is that the air is travelling allong the plies and the cut allows the air to get out.

The rubber solution nor the PU do not stick particuarly well to the insdie of the tyre.

So anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Been googling and it seems kits are available that appear to me that you have to make a bigger hole! and then plug it up - not keen on that as the plies will be damaged doing that.

balidey

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Fit an inner tube

02GF74

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ apart from fitting an inner tube, kinda defeats the purpose of having tubeless tyres.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
ditch the tyre, they're not even pricey and it could just fail in the middle of nowhere or as your going round a corner...crash

are you sure the wheel rim inner edge isn't damaged or spokes leaking? I use tubes regardless as it doesn't take much to push a tyre of the rim a bit, especially offroad. I also used tubed tyres on the landys for the same reason

[Edited on 20/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
when you fit the patch you could fit an innner tube, and inflate it so the inner tube directly applies pressure to the patch making sure it is pressed onto the inside of the tyre while the glue sticks? then remove the inner tube, and give it a try

02GF74

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
ditch the tyre, they're not even pricey and it could just fail in the middle of nowhere or as your going round a corner...crash

are you sure the wheel rim inner edge isn't damaged or spokes leaking? I use tubes regardless as it doesn't take much to push a tyre of the rim a bit, especially offroad. I also used tubed tyres on the landys for the same reason

ooh, Mr whippy, you are a bit behind the times.

new tubeless tyre is at least £ 30 so not lexactly locost.

no chance of spoke end damage as the rim is not drilled.

I doubt the tyre will fail due to the tiny cut, and it is tiny.... and I am loathe to throw the tyre away due to this.

A trip to the LBS tommorrow to se what they say.

idl1975

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Afraid I'm in the camp of "put a tube in it".

Yes, that defeats the point of tubeless tyres. However, unless you're a XC racer, the chief effect of tubeless tyres appears from your experience to be "ar**ache"... )

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
quote:

Fit an inner tube

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

ooh, Mr whippy, you are a bit behind the times.

new tubeless tyre is at least £ 30 so not lexactly locost.

no chance of spoke end damage as the rim is not drilled.

I doubt the tyre will fail due to the tiny cut, and it is tiny.... and I am loathe to throw the tyre away due to this.

A trip to the LBS tommorrow to se what they say.

Not really, my bikes only a year old and a nice machine, I use it all the time off-road. I also use tubes for a reason, that being at around 40psi it doesn't take much to push a tubeless tyre off its rim especially if on rocky ground and if that happens, then the tyre instantly deflates along with probable rim damage. If it happens on a front tyre and you’re going down a steep hill then you'll land on your face, all for the sake of a simple tube. There are plenty of 'modern ideas' some good some bad and some just suck

[Edited on 20/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 20/4/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Most likely leaking in the bead area, you need to knock off the beads and apply a generous ammount of tyre fitters soap bead lubricant to the sealling area of the rim and the edges of the tyre bead.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

02GF74

posted on 20/4/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ maybe as well but when I put water mixed with washing up liquid and can see tiny bubbles just exactly where the nick is.

it is most perplexing ...

[Edited on 20/4/09 by 02GF74]

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

timmy bibbles

02GF74

posted on 22/4/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update.

I bought a tubeless tyre reapir kit - appears to be super glue and normal patches - for an extortionate amount, deliberate decision since I try to buy one or two things from my local bike shop to keep them ticking over.

cleaned the cut out with meths then applied a couple drops of the super glue. everything points to it being regular super glue, that incidentally I bought a tube of from poundland - will try that one later to confirm.

whilst I am sceptical about durability of the repair, there is no air leaking.

will see how it pans out when ridden.

Peteff

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
You need feather edged patches for the inside of the tyre with proper vulcanising solution, Weldtite cure-c-cure are good.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
What has Spock got to do with it?

rubber solution does not want to stick to the inside, nor Evostik stronger than welding grey sealant stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.