Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New 50mph speed limit looms...........
mackei23b

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
New 50mph speed limit looms...........

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=19779
deezee

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Oh dear, now I'll defiantly be going too fast when I drive around Wales.

I wish the idiots who make the rules would realise that a better driving test, and more restrictions on learners would help in the long run, rather than punishing everyone.

I appreciate that the speed of the accident makes the difference between survival rates of accidents, but it doesn't stop the accidents in the 1st place.

smart51

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Remember this when you next put a cross on a ballot paper. We don't have to keep these people in office. Dare to vote differently than you usually do, or than your dad did. Choose a candidate or party who are likely to do things you like or at least not do things you dislike.
mookaloid

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
The bit that bothers me is that they say that if it is considered safe then the speed limit can stay as it is. However it is up to the local council to prove conclusively that it is safe to leave the limit alone.

No council is going to bother doing this so it really is a blanket speed limit

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
try as I do to stick to the speed limits, especially so on my motorbike and all that happens is all the other SOAB's on the road overtake at every dangerous opportunity, and most of that is in 30mph zones.

Totally agree with the above of voting the current loonies in power out

[Edited on 21/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Remember this when you next put a cross on a ballot paper. We don't have to keep these people in office. Dare to vote differently than you usually do, or than your dad did. Choose a candidate or party who are likely to do things you like or at least not do things you dislike.

Couldn't agree more.....

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
hmm, i think this might actually increase congestion.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
They'd be fewer deaths on the roads if they educated the pedestrians instead of the drivers.

Finally back on the job!

mad4x4

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with above

1) We vote them (well Blair) in (not Brown - different arguement)

2) We don't enforce the 60mph Speed limit and on Motorways there are hardly any traffice police because they are doing paper work - how will they police the thousands of miles of "rural roads" to enforce this?

3) I agree that a lot of acidents on "rural roads" are "speed related". They are also "Bike Related" and "Young Chav" related and "Drink" related.....

So why not Ban all Bikes & under 80 (eigthy's) from Driving and make the UK a prohibition state. Oh we'd better ban sheep as well because 1 accident last year involved a stray sheep. ....

WELCOME TO THE NANNY STATE.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

sickbag

posted on 21/4/09 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, i think this might actually increase congestion.

Yes, and the slower that traffic moves means more vehicles can be crammed into a given space, so it looks like more congestion, that'll justify more congestion charges, meaning more money to the government to waste.

Finally back on the job!

A1

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
yep-vote them out... its rediculous - what about all the twisty country roads where 50s too fast on the hairpins?

the only good thing is you can trash a camera, but you cant trash a cop...all we have to do is kill the cameras

coozer

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Its too late we are doomed, they will ban cars older than 5 years soon and take them off you.

50mph on the twistys and 20mph everywhere else.

I'd be tempted to sell the tintop and use public transport, IF WE ACTUALLY HAD ANY!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
How long will it be before either people start chopping down speed cameras en mass...

Or everyone has atleast 6 points....lol...

Silly.... this is NOT progress! Although im sure there are some Nimbys somewhere who think its a good ting

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

How long will it be before either people start chopping down speed cameras en mass...

I thought a large wagon with a swing out 10 inch steel pipe powered by a hydraulic piston would be more effective

Rather like whacking mail boxes with baseball bats

You could have a car infront and one behind to look for police cars, then just press the button

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
More of this then? Rescued attachment burnt-gatso.jpg
Rescued attachment burnt-gatso.jpg

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ipswich has had 20mph limits for years - in little back roads in town where anything faster is either stupid, dangerous or impossible. People haven't complained because they are reasonable where they are.

I just worry that local councils will enforce blanket 20mph limits across a whole town, because it's easier.

blakep82

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
or a nice big squirt of expanding foam in the back

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
50mph speed limit, and tracks closing down due to noise complaints.

Will the UK be a good place to own a sports car in a few years?

blakep82

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
won't be a good place to own any car in a few years...

Findlay234

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with deezee's comment about this not actually stopping the issue at the source.... Its a bit like this governments new idea of giving free morning after pills to 11 year olds..... its actually doing nothing to try and stop the problem which is not pregnant teenagers, thats just a result of teenagers doing what they shouldnt which is the problem.

With germany's high road speeds do they have as much of an issue as they do here. I call for deezee's suggestions.

idl1975

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Key point made below - the 60 limit isn't enforced over most of the road network.

Over my 20 mile A & B road commute, you very, very rarely see a police officer, they are never tasked to stop speeding, and they are too busy with filling in forms and responding to complaints from the local chavs about rude text messages and stolen drugs to bother. So what difference will it make? This is simply about making headlines and ticking boxes towards another target which will be changed, or fudged, by another government.

Even if they chose to police it, most of the traffic goes slower than 60 around here, even where there's a completely straight A road in perfect conditions. Common choices are 40mph and 50mph, for no conceivable effin reason. Though it doesn't really bother me, as I bike to work and just go round them. But if, unlike me, you commute by car, you will be stuck behind one of these people as soon as you leave your house. So you will not be exceeding the new 50 limit in any conceivable universe for more than about 30 seconds.

It seems to me this will only meaningfully affect those of us lucky enough to live in the west highlands, where you can actually drive (at whatever speed sheep, single track and rain permit) for more than that amount of time without hitting traffic.

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
I agree with above

1) We vote them (well Blair) in (not Brown - different arguement)

2) We don't enforce the 60mph Speed limit and on Motorways there are hardly any traffice police because they are doing paper work - how will they police the thousands of miles of "rural roads" to enforce this?

3) I agree that a lot of acidents on "rural roads" are "speed related". They are also "Bike Related" and "Young Chav" related and "Drink" related.....

So why not Ban all Bikes & under 80 (eigthy's) from Driving and make the UK a prohibition state. Oh we'd better ban sheep as well because 1 accident last year involved a stray sheep. ....

WELCOME TO THE NANNY STATE.

flak monkey

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sign this if you think it will make any difference!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

coozer

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, 24,000 signatures on a petition will just make go " Eee look, there's 40milion car drivers and only 24 don't want it"

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

flak monkey

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
hmm, 24,000 signatures on a petition will just make go " Eee look, there's 40milion car drivers and only 24 don't want it"

Thats the point, the more that sign it the better. Pass it around. If everyone looks at it and says what you have then no one will sign it.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

gingerprince

posted on 21/4/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
We'll be needing a man walking in front of us with a f*cking red flag at this rate!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.