Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: still got lack of acceleration in tintop (anybody help?)
mads

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
still got lack of acceleration in tintop (anybody help?)

hey all,
seemed to recently to get a lack of acceleration, particularly going uphill but also on a flat. Happens in all gears and is causing my top end speed to be reduced (unless I'm going downhill). Seems to be particularly around the 2k rpm mark.

so far I've put a injector cleaner into the tank and tried thrashing it down the motorway but still causing me grief. Going to have a look at the spark plugs later to make sure there is no misfiring.

I recently had oil, fuel and air filters changed and it was working fine for last 2 months up until this week just gone.

any suggestions on what else to look at?

[Edited on 1/5/09 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

CraigJ

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
What car is it?

britishtrident

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
and which engine type ?
mads

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
sorry I forgot to say its a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4L petrol.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

dan__wright

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads

b c or d? twinport or not?

britishtrident

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Could be a few things but with any Corsa I would suspect misfire due to either the coil pack or EGR valve.

I would advise getting the fault codes read by someone who understands what they really mean.

[Edited on 26/4/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

dan__wright

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Could be a few things but with any Corsa I would suspect misfire due to either the coil pack or EGR valve.

I would advise getting the fault codes read by someone who understands what they really mean.

[Edited on 26/4/09 by britishtrident]

or mafm on the z engines

omega0684

posted on 26/4/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
have you checked all the intake system, make sure there isn't a vole or oyyer living in the air box and none of the pipes are blocked etc

i had a flat spot in my corsa on acceleration and it turned out the mass air flow sensor was fubar'd!

[Edited on 26/4/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mads

posted on 26/4/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright
quote:
Originally posted by mads

b c or d? twinport or not?

erm....

it's a 1997 Corsa Breeze if that helps? (yes i am a complete numpty when it comes to cars)

Alex - not checked any of it yet as I put the cleaner into the tank last night on way back from folks hoping that would sort it but come to work today and it wouldn't start up at first this morning and when did, still got same problem.

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/4/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I would think EGR valve or possible air flow meter but as an aside and maybe worth checking have a read at this recent PH post

Ketchup

posted on 26/4/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
spark plugs or coil would be my bet
mads

posted on 1/5/09 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Update to the mare of a week I've had with this car..

I checked the air intake on sunday and it all seems clear and the spark plugs all seem fine in colour. Went to work on Monday morning where still wont accelerate quickly but was otherwise fine.

Then it wouldn't start on Monday when I left work. Would turn over but not come to life. When it finally did (after about 5 mins of keep trying) it idled at 200rpm (no zero missing there) and didnt like being accelerated and would cut out.

Finally started to rev and managed to head to my dad's friend who does a bit of work on cars. The car conked out just on his road and wouldn't start again. He couldn't figure out what it was so called out RAC.

RAC - same happened. Once started, it was idling on very low revs and wouldnt go any higher. The guy checked sparkplugs, firing fine. Checked carburettor, fuel coming through. Sprayed some type of cleaner or something to check if was lack of fuel coming through but the car still wouldn't rev up. End up getting towed back to a garage who have taken off exhaust to make sure no blockage in the CAT - still same. The mechanic is going to have a look at the carburettor today to make sure its not that but he is struggling to find the problem.

Could it still be the EGR valve considering it starts but idles on low revs?

Now running out of ideas... Any suggestions that I can take to the mechanic for him to check?

Oh, and the RAC couldn't run diagnostic on it as too old for their connection but also said that because I wasn't getting any warning lights on the dash, no faults would be recorded so a diagnostic machine would not be able to find anything. Is this correct?

[Edited on 1/5/09 by mads]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.