Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 KERS? how does it work?
blakep82

posted on 26/4/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
F1 KERS? how does it work?

anyone know?
where does the extra 80bhp come from? is it some sort of electric motor or something?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega0684

posted on 26/4/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
your wish is my command my friend

KERS Explained

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 26/4/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Motogp 125cc bikes have an alternative system.

They have an electric motor connected to the crank, when they shut off to brake into corners the motor charges a capacitor and when they whack the throttle open it drives the motor giving the, extra torque and bhp drive out of the corner.

Its a simple good system and not long before it hits the road IMO

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 26/4/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
a flywheel at 64000 rmp?!
nothing more than those little cars you used to get in kinder eggs then?

i started to wonder if the alternator on a car could so something similar, but i guess the size and weight of the aletnator needed would rule it out.

was thinking that since an alternator is really just a motor, could it be used to charge batteries/capacitors as they do anyway, and then used to give the engine a boost now and then as an electric motor

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

StevieB

posted on 26/4/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Motogp 125cc bikes have an alternative system.

They have an electric motor connected to the crank, when they shut off to brake into corners the motor charges a capacitor and when they whack the throttle open it drives the motor giving the, extra torque and bhp drive out of the corner.

BMW have been doing it as an option on the the latest 3 Series, though I don't think it's got quite the efficiency of the F1 units (yet).

Now that it's in F1, it'll develop the technology faster due to the big budgets available for R&D, then filter through lesser formula's and onto road cars eventually.

Flamez

posted on 26/4/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

It already has 12 months ago;

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/efficient_dynamics/bc/homepage/0,,___,00.html?bcsource=nationaltop

my build mac1motorsports

richmars

posted on 26/4/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
That f1fanatic link is mostly about mechanical system. Most F1 teams use electrical systems.
These have a hybrid motor/generator linked to the engine or transmission which either charges a battary or works as an motor, using the charge from the battery.
I think the Williams system (which I don't think is in use yet) uses a flywheel as an energy store, which is spun up electrically. This also uses a hybrid motor/generator.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.