Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Dont you think a chassis...
speedyxjs

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Dont you think a chassis...

... looks better in black?

Before

After

God i hate painting Il be please when i have put the second coat on tomorrow and i can get the floor on, yay

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
awesomeness might get around to repainting mine one day. have you got a compressor? i was thinking about spraying mine, but connecting the gun to the +ve side of a battery charger, and the chassis to the negative, and the electrostatic charge should attract everything together. hammerite have bought out something like that, but might be a gimmick, i don't know.

whats those curved bars at the back for? the ones from the upper shock mounts? i don't think there's a whole lot of strength in them

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
They are for the fuel tank. I didnt think they were very strong but iv stood on them (100kg ) and they didnt budge.
I painted it by hand. Took me about 4-5 hours so i guess it will be the same tomorrow

blakep82

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
thats alright, wasn't sure if there was any structuralness for them, but thats alright then, looks good

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mr henderson

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bit late now, I realise, but if painting 2 coats I think it is a good idea to use 2 different colours, makes it easy to see which bits you've missed.

mr henderson

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
structuralness

I like it. Says what it means. Could be the start of a whole new field of engineering

John

speedyxjs

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Bit late now, I realise, but if painting 2 coats I think it is a good idea to use 2 different colours, makes it easy to see which bits you've missed.

Hmmm, didnt think of that. Il remember next time

iank

posted on 2/5/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Use a miniroller with a foam gloss roller, much quicker and neater than a brush (still need a brush for the tight angles)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

zilspeed

posted on 2/5/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
That's not a chassis.

That's a feckin' bridge !

Larger Engine = Meet Larger Chassis

Nice work

MikeCapon

posted on 2/5/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Like the curved box section at the rear. Looks really good. How d'ya do that then?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 2/5/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Like the curved box section at the rear. Looks really good. How d'ya do that then?

Cut lots of slits in it about 1cm apart and weld them back together. The hard part is getting the angle right.

kb58

posted on 2/5/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82 i was thinking about spraying mine, but connecting the gun to the +ve side of a battery charger, and the chassis to the negative, and the electrostatic charge should attract everything together.

That will work but you need more like 5-8,000 volts, really.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 2/5/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Electrostatic is high voltage. Think about the kind of voltage you need to hold a balloon onto the ceiling. Same kind of voltage that will give a nice blue spark across a few mm.... Sure ain't going to work with 12v.... You could rig something up by taking apart an old camera flash unit. I've shocked myself too many times with those bad boys and they sure aren't 12v!!! I seem to recall its 10kV across the xenon and about 5-10 times as much on the trigger... The wierd thing is the 10kV and 50kV feel different. Probably to do with available current. The trigger gives more of a sharp sensation but the voltage across the xenon gives more of a kick...
BenB

posted on 2/5/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Actually turns out I was talking JZ! Voltage across the xenon is typically 250-500v and the trigger is 5-10kV....
niceperson709

posted on 2/5/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I just want to second the suggestion that a roller is the best way to paint a space frame. I did it for my first chassis and I am doing it soon for the chassis that I am working on now.

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

stevegough

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
You've been working hard since the 18th, haven't you?

Remember this?
Derusting chassis

How have you done yours? I was going to use a angrygrinder with wire brush and use sandpaper in the hard to reach places but after starting it, i thought it would probably be quicker to use sandpaper. Its only surface rust so would come off quite easily.
Any thoughts?

Well, I'd be interested to hear how you cleaned it up in the end?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.