12K-15K
15 upwards

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build costs
scutter

posted on 3/5/09 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
Build costs

Just throwing some questions out here, I love the Vortx, but what should I be looking at to build a good Cec?

I'm thinking Duratec and a full cage.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 3/5/09 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
I put 12-15K but the initial build may be lower. However the number of times I've made changes to mine, then had the car mapped and dynoed the cost is still going up!
blakep82

posted on 3/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
depends what you define as 'good'

good quality solid car, with standard sort of engine, or race power engine, which would need a HD gearbox etc.

i have no idea btw. mine's already cost me about 6 times more than i expected...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 3/5/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I am glad people are being honest about real costs. My costs are higher than yours, being so far from critical parts and everything, so my numbers won't mean much to you. But it certainly costs more than the 6000 gbp bandied about by manufacturers (plus your cage). Unless you have your own machine shop etc.
bassett

posted on 3/5/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mine started at £9k for an RTIB with an R1 engine then went upwards probably to around £10.5k for wiring, switches, brakes, servicing consumables and lots of other minor bits. Duratec will add a fair wedge to this unless a cheap donor is found and im sure there will be quite a bit of extra work involved.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

RoadkillUK

posted on 3/5/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
You're all on the wrong forum ... this is LOCOST builders

(to clarify, it's a tongue in cheek remark about the cost rather than the 'kit' )

[Edited on 3/5/09 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've built 2 locost, Looking for something more developed when I leave my job in the next few years.

ATB Dan.

eccsmk

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
mines an mk so many vary a bit
cost around 8k to build but it started out very basic and a zx9
before the chassis was painted i'd bought a zx12
its changed colour twice
finally got it registered on friday and now ive orderd a few fancy bits (steering wheel, harness'
and ive asked for a price of a full cage too
and mine was only ever intended as a CHEAP hobby
HTH

amalyos

posted on 4/5/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
A good Duratec, Throttle bodies and Gearbox is going to set you back 4k.

Thats why I went down the BEC route.
Once you've experianced a BEC you never go CEC.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

scutter

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Been there tried that, Cec for me. Did the Mk GSXR at snetterton and a mates ZX9 around norfolk and they were just annoying.

I'm looking around 5-6K for a nice eng/box combo, so the 12-15k mark is what i've set for.

ATB Dan, the master saver as of now.

jambo

posted on 4/5/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
if you plan on a budget of 5 or 6 grand on the engine and box i then presume you will want ally brakes etc.so you better put your budget higher.
coozer

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Under 8K for mine on the road with a zetec on bike carbs.

Reckon I could do it again for less than 6K.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

richardh

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
would love to know how on that one mate as i fancy doing another mnr

Time for a change!

coozer

posted on 5/5/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh
would love to know how on that one mate as i fancy doing another mnr

Easy, sub £50 Sierra, use as much as pos, 99p zetec off the bay, £30 bike carbs, Ford EEC-V ecu.

And don't end up with a garage full of extra bits like me

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Pdlewis

posted on 5/5/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine all in and on the road (inc tax and insurance) for just under £9k with an R1 engine. If i did it again i think i could cut about £500 to a grand off what i spent this time because i wouldnt buy as many bits that were wrong or I didnt need but thats what learning is all about

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

oldtimer

posted on 6/5/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
My fist 'kit car' I built around 7 years ago cost me £2500 but I used pracrically everything I could off the Cortina and, as a result, was a pretty unsatisfying drive. This time I'm now up to £4K and hope to finish for <£5K. Spec is 4age black top 20v, Quaife/type 9 c/r, etc. I think if you scratch build, spend quite a long time hunting parts down etc, you can keep the price quite reasonable. The poll would have been more interesting if there were more lower and higher build cost options.
bassett

posted on 6/5/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Paul ive got to ask how you kept yours to £9k purely out of interest? I know mine was all bought from MNR so that may be the bulk of the cost but it needed alot extra that wasnt included.
Cheers
Adam

[Edited on 6/5/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Krismc

posted on 6/5/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you plan on £5-6K like i did on engine and complete kit, thinking you have bought a complete kit (thats from every manufacturer- not just MNR)

You will end up spending a few £k more. ive spent 19-20k

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

richardh

posted on 6/5/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
but you cant even get the "kit" chassis, body work etc for that from most of the kit makers.

Mine was 6.5k plus engine and other bits like wheels, tyres, manifold, exhaust, raceleda calipers, discs, pads and so forth.

the new mnr mazda - which i really fancy - is 7999 in kit form plus donor

i looked at westfield, tiger, mac, mk and luego last night for comparison and not masses of difference if you pick comparable options

you gets what you pays for and all that

Time for a change!

Gergely

posted on 7/5/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Having bought most of the stuff from MNR (RT inboard, full cage with 2005 R1 engine, Quaife reverse, paddleshift, Compomotive CXRs, etc...) the complete car cost us around 13k to build. However as everyone said, the second car would cost much less, I reckon the same could be done for around 11k with a little looking around and making a few bits ourselves. But this is with all the nice bits, expensive wheels, etc.
PS, don't forget all the bits you will need: good quality engine oil, diff oil, battery, spark plugs, etc...
Gergely

Our build pictures

spdpug98

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
When I ordered my kit from MNR, I specifically didn't want to be running down to the nut & bolts suppliers and other shops to get bits and bobs for the build, so I wanted every single nut and bolt for the build to be included within the kit (I only had 12 weeks to finish it to get in for SVA, so no time for running around for bits)

Therefore my kit cost was relatively high, but I have still had to buy bits and bobs, but nothing major and would guess that I have spent in total £12/£13k - but I am sure once I have it on the road it will be well worth it

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

Pdlewis

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Adam,

I only sourced the chassie/bodywork from MNR all the other parts were sourced from either MNR or toher suppliers so i got exactly what i wanted and at a price i was happy with. I did have to compromise on the ideal sometimes but if needed these bits can be upgraded

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.