Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stale petrol
wicket

posted on 3/5/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Stale petrol

The car has not been used in anger since November last year and the last fill of petrol was about the same time. Previous years I have put fuel stabiliser in the tank when it has been laid up over the winter but I forgot to do it this time.

However, about 3 weeks it started OK, but now no sign of life, does the fuel degrade over a short period of time sufficiently to cause it not to start. All ignition parts are as good as new and seem to be OK.

Anybody and suggestion as to the possible cause.

yellow melos

posted on 3/5/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
it should not stop it from starting even if it is still a bit stale
britishtrident

posted on 3/5/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
It takes years for petrol to go completely stale -- easy to spot by the varnish like smell,

Xflos are very easy to flood --- take the plugs out dry them off and spin the engine a couple of turns before putting the plugs back in.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

novacaine

posted on 3/5/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Remember, petrol sits underground for millions of years in the form of crude oil,

I would start with basic things like checking the battery is good perhaps try a jump start from a tintop?

Make sure you have fuel pressure at the carb

Make sure you are getting a good strong spark too

I would second the reccomendation of checking for flooding too

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

thunderace

posted on 3/5/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
BUY A CAN OF EASY START OR THIS
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Start-Ya-Bastard-Instant-Engine-Starter_W0QQitemZ400015207548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item40001 5207548&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

jacko

posted on 3/5/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The fuel in my car had been in for 6 months and the engine started ok
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ss1turbo

posted on 3/5/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I got a car started after the petrol sitting in the tank for 10 years...but guess it might still have been 4 star!

Another one of my fleet started and runs beautifully on (at least) 6 month old unleaded.

Won't drive too well, but should start OK...

Long live RWD...

D Beddows

posted on 3/5/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but my lawnmower engine (and lets face it lawnmower engines should pretty much run on anything flammable! ) wouldn't start a month or so ago with the petrol in it from only last October. Fired straight away with 'new' petrol though so, although I would normally agree with the other posts, I'd try draining the old petrol and putting some new in before you do anything else...

JonBowden

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cars don't seem to have a problem with old fuel (like say 6 months).
My old lawnmower always needed new petrol each spring, wouldn't start on the old stuff.
I used to race 2-stroke karts, they were the same - needed frest petrol

Jon

D Beddows

posted on 3/5/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a DGV/DGAV carb I'd clean it out and put some new petrol in and it should be fine to be honest - my 750MC Locost cars with an xflow and DGV carb used to be reluctant to start somtimes after a couple of weeks if you hadn't drained the petrol out of the carb.

Vindi_andy

posted on 6/5/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
with lawn mowers according to the bloke that fixed mine the hydrocarbons in petrol start to crystalise out of the petrol and can block the needle on mowers as they are smaller than cars not sure if this was speil or whether its true
britishtrident

posted on 7/5/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
with lawn mowers according to the bloke that fixed mine the hydrocarbons in petrol start to crystalise out of the petrol and can block the needle on mowers as they are smaller than cars not sure if this was speil or whether its true

Yep two things start to happen the light ends of the fuel such as the small ammount of butane in the fuel are lost and also a varnish like substance is formed but it takes a long time. Petrol that is "off" has has a very distinctive sour smell. Lawn movers are much more prone to problems of this type than cars.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.