Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK NEW BODY WORK?
matt.c

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
MK NEW BODY WORK?

After i turned the last topic into another "my panels dont fit topic" I want to look foward to the future and to forget the old bodywork.

Im very happy that MK have decided to make new moulds. MK are a very nice bunch and make a good "value for money" kit. Im hoping that the New bodywork has a fresh look to it.

Is there going to be a new look MK? When will it be released?

Mark G

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think there's any thing wrong with how the current Indy looks. The panels could just do with fitting better. I don't see why the rear panel has a rolled edge and the side panels have a flat edge or why everything is over sized and requires cutting down. I hope they just make everything fit better.

graememk

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i know its just going to be more rounded

eznfrank

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just about to start doing the bodywork on my Indy - is it really that bad a fit? Am I going to get seriously hacked off?
StevieB

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of the car as it is, but as above I just wish it was a bit better fit and finish - a single tub instead of separate sides/rear would be good with returns over the sills so there's no need for messing about with ali trims etc (like the Wetfield bodywork, basically).
Mark G

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that the single panel (rear, sides and arches) would be better as it would make for a better look + fit, but I know for sure that I wouldn't of had anywhere to keep that when I was building my kit, Also it'd cost more to repair if it got damaged and the arches would have to be the same colour.

greggors84

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
All my bodywork fitted lovely. Bought the kit in 2002.

The only niggle I had was the square to round section at the back as mentioned.

[Edited on 5/5/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Guinness

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
I'm just about to start doing the bodywork on my Indy - is it really that bad a fit? Am I going to get seriously hacked off?

No.

It's not that bad. Just don't go at it without doing some research on here first.

I think someone should do a definative process for fitting it.

I think the key is to get the side panel / rear panel interface right.

I'd temporarily fit the side panels, then offer up the back panel. Then make up some spacers to get the back panel / side panels to be dead vertical.

This will help with getting the rear arches on square.

Cheers

Mike

J16

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've just fitted the bodywork to my MK and didn't have too much trouble. Worst part is the boot panel.

When I spoke to MK at the weekend they said they were changing the bodywork due to the new IVA regs as the edges don't meet the requirements.

So getting the current style bodywork through the test will be fun!

Coopz

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J16
I've just fitted the bodywork to my MK and didn't have too much trouble. Worst part is the boot panel.

When I spoke to MK at the weekend they said they were changing the bodywork due to the new IVA regs as the edges don't meet the requirements.

So getting the current style bodywork through the test will be fun!

That doesn't sounds good! In the same boat trying to take an indy through IVA

viatron

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of new bodywork!
Linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 5/5/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know how much it has changed as I purchased the deluxe kit and it sounds like the body work will have to go in the bin and I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and buy the new ones.

I'm going up to MK on Thursday, so i'll ask then.

Pete.

[Edited on 5/5/09 by peteday_uk@btinternet.com]

A1

posted on 5/5/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
my bodywork didnt require much... i found it good fun, the fact its over sized means you have room to try things on and make your own wee changes. i agree on the round edge for the rear and flat for the sides though...
and i think the mk looks brilliant.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/5/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,from what I understand of it,there's only some small changes thats been made to the body work,there's no reason why the current body work with some small modifications,as you currently have to do with it anyway to pass the sva,so with the same modifications there is no reason why it will not pass the IVA. The main changes are where the side panels meet the rear tub,these are now round,and not square,this just makes for a better fit where the panels meet,this will also alleviate the need to fit some form radias edging strip modification around the side panels and rear arches,to pass SVA /IVA.
At the same time I believe they have also made the rear tub slightly narrower for a better fit.And thats about it,this will give the car a cleaner line,and help with with ease of the build.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

mads

posted on 6/5/09 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J16

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 6/5/09 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

posted on 6/5/09 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Paul

Kind of puts my mind and pocket at ease.

Thanks
Pete

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Went up to Mk today and spoke with Baz about the bodywork issue. He has told me that it's only the side panel radius that will fail IVA. He has suggested that the trim that is normally fitted to finish off would need to be either turned around or get a different trim that will trim off both sides.

Pete.

Coopz

posted on 9/5/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peteday_uk@btinternet.com
Went up to Mk today and spoke with Baz about the bodywork issue. He has told me that it's only the side panel radius that will fail IVA. He has suggested that the trim that is normally fitted to finish off would need to be either turned around or get a different trim that will trim off both sides.

Pete.

Sorry to be a numpty, but what do you mean by the side panel radius is this the whole side panel then wish i knew about the IVA when i bought the car.

posted on 9/5/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
When I wrote that I thought that it was a little unclear. I know what i mean so thought everyone else would..........sorry

Baz was referring to the radius edge where the driver/passenger get in and out of the vehicle not the underside. This may well include the arch (hope thats clear) up to where the rear panel joins.

Hope that helps.

Pete.

[Edited on 9/5/09 by peteday_uk@btinternet.com]

DavidW

posted on 4/6/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got a photo of the new bodywork?

I had to walk away from mine tonight. It's just terrible.

eccsmk

posted on 4/6/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
Has anyone got a photo of the new bodywork?

I had to walk away from mine tonight. It's just terrible.

ita the same as the old bodywork mate
only the rounded part (where your side and rear panel meet)
will carry through to the dash/scuttle
as far as i can make out anyway
HTH

martyn_16v

posted on 5/6/09 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Why is it I only ever seem to hear about these things the week after i've cut a 1" strip out of the rear tub and glassed it back together (badly)

Not like I can afford new bodywork anyway though...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.