Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Draper Tools?
dhutch

posted on 7/5/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Draper Tools?

Have seen them around a fair bit and they look fairly tidy and compairable to other brands.
- Got my eye on there 33pc 3/8" set as it looks like a fairly no-nonsence set of actuall sockets and long sockets.

Daniel

mark chandler

posted on 7/5/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords professional range are the best bet, nice feel and when you break them just swap for a new one as life time guarantee.

I have some older draper stuff, it was very good 25 years ago when I purchased new then.

hillbillyracer

posted on 7/5/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
If it's Draper Expert then it's not bad stuff, I've been using a 1/2 socket set daily for 12 years in agric engineering & nothing has broke apart from the ratchet which I just wore out & a couple of sockets that were being asked to "perform beyond what could reasonably be expected of them"!
If it's just the plain Draper brand without the expert tag then it can be pretty poor.

A1

posted on 7/5/09 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
we use draper, and some halfords professional, although the draper is a bit older, never had a problem with it.
dhutch

posted on 8/5/09 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah sorry, i should have added it is fromt the expert range.

This one:http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=113125

Although, when i was looking at it the price was £38, could be had for £35 at stoneleigh.

I did look at the halford pro ranges, but although there 1/4" set (which i have one of) and the 1/2" set are very nice, theres a not of extra crap in the 3/8" sets i found over and above sockets!

I did consider the 1/2" but i just seams over kill really, with my current cheapo 3/8 set ive never thought it would break, and often, i use the 1/4 set even. Although i do have a 1/2 breakerbar with 3/8 adapter.

Daniel

Danozeman

posted on 8/5/09 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I mostly use 3/8 and 1/4 at work. Iv got some draper stuff its generally quite goodf aslong as you dont get the cheaper draper stuff.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

nick205

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
As above basic Draper is pretty ropey these days (17mm ring spanner came apart in my hand the other day) but the Expert stuff is OK.

Halfords Pro range really is very good quality and value for money too.

Teng stuff seems pretty good too.

iank

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've only got 1/2" and 1/4" sets, couldn't justify 3/8 - it's rare you could fit a 3/8" but not a 1/2" or need the extra torque on small bolts.

<boring story>
Though I could have done with one yesterday when I stripped the ratchet on my 1/4" set getting the 4th of 6 5/16" head bolt out (undersized head bolt holding the backplate onto a mini drum swivel hub). Abuse of the tool really.
</boring story>

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wheelfelloff

posted on 8/5/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Always an interesting subject but long term recommendations are difficult as many of the "big names" are not what they once were. I've used 1/4 and 3/8 socket sets for over 35 years in aerospace and 1/2 at home on the car for even longer, while I can recommend most of the usual suspects they were of course bought many years ago.

In my experience, Snap-On, Teng, Britool, King Dick, Elora, Gedore, Facom and Draper and even the early Kamasa were all excellent in their original guise. I still buy any of these that look original that I can find for sale at car boots etc.

New tools I am more careful with but I have been pleased with recent purchases of Teng, Halfords Pro (although their exchange policy apparently doesn't cover the rachet), Sykes Pickavant and Draper Expert. I have been less happy with some Snap-on hex drives that were relatively soft.

As my father told me many years ago as he bought me my first Elora socket set, money is rarely wasted on top quality tools. I still think of him almost daily when I still use the set he bought, although abused extensively it is still as tight as when new.

With the 3/8 or 1/2 debate I am firmly with the 3/8 for most work. A good quality 3/8 set will be stronger than a cheap 1/2 set anyway and makes access much easier. You will need some 1/2 though where rust or a previous gorilla has been at work. Of course you have the benefit these days that with modern cars you only really need metric, my tool boxes are full of a/f and whitworth that are very rarely used these days.

So stick with the Pro or expert series and you won't go far wrong.

Best regards

Keith (who still has all of his knuckles)

Peteff

posted on 8/5/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I use a 3/8" set for working on my bike and awkward jobs on cars like manifolds etc. I recently bought a Bahco set from ebay which was a bargain and seems good quality, my other sets are Kamasa and I only ever broke a ratchet. Most of the good name tools will replace any damaged items but I bought a Britool ratchet with a much finer action.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
*******Avoid Halford Proffesional sockets at all costs !!******** I bought a set and two of the sockets were so far out of dimensional tolerance that they were binned on the first day.
The 13mm socket was closer to 14mm than 13mm !!!!!!!!

Draper tools aren't the best quality -- generally Ok for general use but Teng, Kamsa and many others are are generally better.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

pewe

posted on 8/5/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Try Valtra on here. He has an agency for Draper and offers some good discounts.Cheers, Pewe
thunderace

posted on 8/5/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
i second that halfords pro are great ,i sold my snapon bits and got loads of halfords por stuff find someone with a trade card the get a discount on the tools.
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Halfords professional range are the best bet, nice feel and when you break them just swap for a new one as life time guarantee.

I have some older draper stuff, it was very good 25 years ago when I purchased new then.

Valtra

posted on 8/5/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
£38 is a good price for that set . I'd recommend looking at the multi drive 43672 for a bit extra or the smashin little 43646 for a smidge more dough. Expert are lifetime warranty . Halfords Pro are often the same tools in different packaging. I don't pay to trade at present here. but my name was mentioned

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.