Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steve Grabers La Bala over here in the UK - IVA ?
Tris

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Steve Grabers La Bala over here in the UK - IVA ?

Hello All,

Ive been looking for a lo-cost inspired car for a while now that I can build from scratch but benefit from an established design.

Having stumbled one evening across Steve Grabers website (www.grabercars.com), ive been bitten by the “la bala” bug. The only issue is that no one here in the UK has one and that I would have to import the body work…
Importing issues aside, what do you all think regarding getting one of these road legal in the UK ?. Can any of you with SVA/IVA experience see any major issues to be aware of ?

There dosn't seam much talk of the La Bala here on this forum, has anyone else considered building one of these ?

Kind Regards,
Tris

[Edited on 8/5/09 by Tris]

[Edited on 9/5/09 by Tris]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Steves a member of this very forum.......

Tris

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, steve and i have been in comunication via email for a few weeks now. Top chap who always has made time to answer my questions

No kits have yet been exported.

Cheers
Tris

sgraber

posted on 8/5/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, just to fill you in on the particulars of the La Bala. I've had mine registered and licensed for street use in the USA for over 2 years and have put over 23,000km on the odometer.

La Bala is intended to be a low-cost and dependable middy and as such uses Toyota components for all wheel hubs and brakes, steering rack and column, shifter assy, radiator and various other misc parts throughout. The engine can be Toyota from the donor or almost any FWD driveline.

With respect to the Q plates (and I admit to knowing virtually nothing about this issue) - I am not sure that all of these donor components could be replaced with new parts without significant cost or effort.

I've had some inquiries over the past year about exporting to the UK but no bites as of yet. I would love to have Tristan and others building La Bala's in the UK and Europe. Let me know what I can do and I will help out any way that I can.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 8/5/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just from looking at the pictures I can't see any reason it wouldn't pass IVA.

A slight concern over the outer edge of the air intake on the 'door'? maybe? that's about it.

Steve,
You've probably done this, but the IVA manual is free and downloadable. If you have the time it might be worth have a check through it on your part so you could 'certify' you cars as being IVA passable. This would apply to both the UK and our European friends who are forced to IVA and register their cars here and then register and import them into their own country.

It wouldn't have to have Q plates. It could be age-related if one was careful and selective with donor car choice.

If one was 'creative' with part selection and receipts, I can't see why it couldn't get a new plate!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

stevebubs

posted on 8/5/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Main 4 possible stumbling blocks I can see would be:

Potential radius issues - easily solved by checking IVA rules

Headlight height - again check IVA rules, if issue arises then there is the potential to raise ride height etc.

Windscreen wipers - can't see any evidence of these on your car, Steve

Seat Belt Mount Positioning

[Edited on 8/5/09 by stevebubs]

RK

posted on 8/5/09 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking for someone on Steve's side of the Atlantic, who has mostly built a car very similar to an MK (chassis made in Canada), I can say that it is considerable expense shipping things like bodywork. If he can set up some sort of distributorship there you might make it remotely Low Cost, but until then, you are looking at decidedly High Cost. Just believe me!
Tris

posted on 9/5/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. Currently reading in depth the IVA manual (http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/M1%20Inspection%20Manual%20May%2009.pdf) to see if anything applies.

Stevebubs - Am i right in thinking that i have to have windscreen wipers ?

Rk - Yes i know. If only it was still $2 to £1 !!...

mr henderson

posted on 9/5/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris

If you have a windscreen then you need effective wipers, windscreen washers and demisters (hot air fed by heater, or electric). And, of course, the windscreen needs the appropriate markings

John

stevebubs

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by Tris

If you have a windscreen then you need effective wipers, windscreen washers and demisters (hot air fed by heater, or electric). And, of course, the windscreen needs the appropriate markings

John

This can be made in the UK, though - Ricky Evans motorsport will make both normal laminated and heated custom windscreens (heated means you can do without separate demister - just have to worry about wipers)

[Edited on 9/5/09 by stevebubs]

sgraber

posted on 9/5/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Addressing some of the issues directly related to passing the IVA:

Although there are no wipers or demister on my prototype (it's never rained while I have driven the car!) I do have a basic design in place for installing them using a remote cable operated wiper system which many of you are familiar with. I'll be installing my set of wipers this year before the monsoon season. The windshield glass comes from the 1996 Geo Metro (aka Suzuki Cultus). I don't know if that vehicle was made available in the UK? In any case the demister vents from the original Geo Metro can be installed with little effort and the fan system is whatever fits under the considerable open space under the dash. I did originally have an aeroscreen in place during my initial inspection and there were no wipers required with aeroscreen which made it much simpler for me at that time.

Unrelated to the IVA issues - I have checked shipping rates Phoenix to London and the freight charge is around $1,300usd. The crate is another $300. So that's your premium over the American version. FYI the freight charge Phoenix to New Hampshire (West Coast to East Coast USA) was $550.

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FEZ1025

posted on 9/5/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just another thought as the car is 'open top' then all the inside has to have the tedious 2.5mm radius, anything the inspector can get his 100mm balls near. Or does it have an optional roof & side windows?

Alan...

owelly

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
So, lets have a ballpark figure for the kit! I like it a lot and for once in my miserable life, I have the funds to buy whatever I choose (within reason!). Can we also have a list of the donor parts needed.

We'll not include shipping for now as there are lots of companies who will hire out space in a container for not much money. Cheaper if Mr Graber could fill a whole one!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

sgraber

posted on 10/5/09 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure I am treading on very thin ground here with this information. prices usd...

If you build from the plans (currently 150+ pages, metric/imperial double dimensioned, cost $99), purchase my bodywork $4900 (not including freight to the UK), and then you purchase all the steel and source all of the donor components yourself locally following my parts, list the car should cost between $13K and $15K to build. Depends on your choice of engine and your ability to shop frugally. FYI I sell a roller-minus engine for $25K. Engine of choice is usually Toyota 4AGE 20v or GM EcotecSS if you want more power. I sourced a JDM 20v 4AGE for $1,200 with 5-speed and it included shifter assy, wiring harness uncut, 1/2 shafts and uprights, full intake, ecu and fuel pump.

I don't have any sales volume in the UK at this time mind you, so it's a bit of a technicality to be mentioning the cost of things. All prices are what my USA builders are experiencing.

Moderator, feel free to remove this post if it conveys too much information about sales.

Steve Graber

Tris

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hello steve,

Quick question and picking up on something already said - do you think the shipping costs would be reduced per unit if 2 or 3 sets of bodywork / steel sets were shipped over together ?

Not planning on buying a fleet of these btw, just interested to see if there's any potential cost savings to be made if interested people in the UK club together.

Btw, this graph makes painful reading but it looks to be slowly climbing again

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/currency/11/12/twelve_month.stm

Cheers
Tris

[Edited on 11/5/09 by Tris]

hughpinder

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps if there was enough interest Steve could have a european agent (someone who's already good with fibreglass), and send a set of moulds over - make the panels here and take a licence fee per set made? Obviously this takes a lot of setting up/trust/quality control issues...

Regards
Hugh

sgraber

posted on 11/5/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tris, one year ago could have been 2 for 1 exchange rate month! what a shame.

I am open to having a Euro Agent and have actually thought about it many times over the years. I am not certain that I have the resources to expand in such a way this year yet. My current business model dictates slow growth because I do understand the risks involved in uncontrolled growth and lack of capitalization. I have resisted investor funding up to this point and still want to develop my doors and 3-piece hard top design before broaching that subject. So that I have a stronger negotiating position.

I would be amenable to sending a number of kits across the pond in a container but that may be jumping the gun too. I think there has to be one dedicated and brave soul (such as Tris?) to take the initial plunge of building a UK/Euro La Bala from which the seeds of such a venture could grow.

This is of course just a speculative conversation at this point!

Steve Graber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.