Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B*****d Corsa!
ReMan

posted on 9/5/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
B*****d Corsa!

recently picked up a nice original Corsa for daughter to drive.
No history of cambelt change though, so set to it today.
Good advice and "feel" suggested a new water pump too.
Took about an hour to get all the bits off, and another 3 hours to NOT get the water pump off.
This is what it looks like now
Any ideas what to do to it next.
As can be seen, I've smashed the nose off and chisled it to death, the flange is almost gone, but the inner body is still siezed in the hole
I've even dropped the weight of the car on it to no avail?
Clearance is an issue , but there's no way I'me taking the engine out to do it

B'stard corsa Pump
B'stard corsa Pump

[Edited on 9/5/09 by ReMan]

prawnabie

posted on 9/5/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
isnt there a metal pipe going into the back of the pump that you can take off?
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/5/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
vinegar
If its alloy water pump that will get rid of the corision.
Blow torch, lots of heat will pop that out

omega0684

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
will the vinegar not corrode the alloy?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
will the vinegar not corrode the alloy?

It would suit me if it disolved the bloody thing completely

omega0684

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
did you go for a drink last night at the sharnford arms?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
No, no plans made

[Edited on 9/5/09 by ReMan]

omega0684

posted on 9/5/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
might be worth organising a bi-monthly beer meet!
rusty nuts

posted on 10/5/09 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
A good soaking in penetrating oil might help ? I have had a few to change over the years and all of them have been tight, I normally use a BIG drift and hammer on the pulley to shift them. It looks like you have tried to lever the pump from the block as the shaft still looks straight? Hit the end of the shaft at right angles to it a few times , that should get it out. I always put a bit of Copperslip on the body of the pump before fitting.
ReMan

posted on 10/5/09 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
A good soaking in penetrating oil might help ? I have had a few to change over the years and all of them have been tight, I normally use a BIG drift and hammer on the pulley to shift them. It looks like you have tried to lever the pump from the block as the shaft still looks straight? Hit the end of the shaft at right angles to it a few times , that should get it out. I always put a bit of Copperslip on the body of the pump before fitting.

It's the original pump so it's beeen ther15 years!
I already put proper penetrating fluid on it and have been hitting it mercilessly at right angles with hammer, drift, lump hammer, axe!
Theres noway of levering it out.
The flange is nearly all gone fron using an air chisel as well to try and break it up an take it out in piecess.
Will try vinegar and blowtorch today, now the penerating oil and petrol (from washing the gunk off the engine) have evaporated away!
Thanks for the ideas

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/5/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Some one was almost there with the answer.

At the back of the pump housing is a water hose. Remove hose.
Insert appropriate sized drift in through tube at the back off the pump housing.

HIT drift heavily and HARD with suitably LARGE sze of hammer.

Yes I know space is at a premium, but......

Oh and replacement tubes are available from the dealers (They fit from the pump side of the housing), incase you damage the tube. I know cos I've been there & done that.

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 10/5/09 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

paulbeyer

posted on 10/5/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Some one was almost there with the answer.

At the back of the pump housing is a water hose. Remove hose.
Insert appropriate sized drift in through tube at the back off the pump housing.

HIT drift heavily and HARD with suitably LARGE sze of hammer.

Yes I know space is at a premium, but......

Oh and replacement tubes are available from the dealers (They fit from the pump side of the housing), incase you damage the tube. I know cos I've been there & done that.

Hope this helps.

I had exactly the same dilemma with my Daughters Corsa a couple of months ago and JollyGreen is spot on, a big drift to smash it out from the other side is the way forward. Even then it is still a pig due to the lack of space to swing a hammer.
Good luck, I feel your pain.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

ReMan

posted on 10/5/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
The B******D is out!!!!!!!!!!
Did vinegar and heat, early this morning, not a glimmer.

Stripped all the bits out from behind the engine then with a 12" + 6" socket extensions. then a long crowbar as a drift tyo get the right angle of attack , many many beatings with a mallet and it finally came out.
Thanks JGG prawnabie and paul, it certainly not easy, a last resort, but the hour it took me making room was worth it in this case as it was not playing nicely.

Not sure how the metal tube/sleeve /hose connector fits in if it wais damaged, is it a screw or a push fit?

Just got to 2work out where all the bits i took of yesterday go back now!

Cheers

[Edited on 10/5/09 by ReMan]

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/5/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
The B******D is out!!!!!!!!!!
Did vinegar and heat, early this morning, not a glimmer.

Stripped all the bits out from behind the engine then with a 12" + 6" socket extensions. then a long crowbar as a drift tyo get the right angle of attack , many many beatings with a mallet and it finally came out.
Thanks JGG prawnabie and paul, it certainly not easy, a last resort, but the hour it took me making room was worth it in this case as it was not playing nicely.

Not sure how the metal tube/sleeve /hose connector fits in if it wais damaged, is it a screw or a push fit?

Just got to 2work out where all the bits i took of yesterday go back now!

Cheers

[Edited on 10/5/09 by ReMan]

Metal tube is a push fit (with sealant) into the housing from the hole left when you have the water pump out.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Fred W B

posted on 10/5/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
LCB answers a question before I've even asked it.

Yesterday I established that the water is not circulating in the Corsa my mother uses, she does so little distance she never gets it properly hot.

Normally I have a mate who owns an independant garage work on the plastic cars but thought I might have a look myself at the waterpump on the Corsa today, not any more though....

Thanks

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Peteff

posted on 10/5/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one on the yard now waiting for a head gasket so I think I may as well do this and the belt at the same time, it may save some grief in the near future for someone. Did you have any trouble getting the crank pulley bolt out or removing the pulley itself ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ReMan

posted on 11/5/09 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I've got one on the yard now waiting for a head gasket so I think I may as well do this and the belt at the same time, it may save some grief in the near future for someone. Did you have any trouble getting the crank pulley bolt out or removing the pulley itself ?

The crank pulley bolt came off really easy. Top gear brakes on as per Mr Haynes actually
The pulley itself is a loose fit so no bother there either.
If you have the head/ off you're so close you can go for the knock out from behind option as you will have made clearance to do it with all the bits off, it would be daft not to if it's condition is unknown.
And you can get them as little as £15 depending on the make.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
LCB answers a question before I've even asked it.

Yesterday I established that the water is not circulating in the Corsa my mother uses, she does so little distance she never gets it properly hot.

Normally I have a mate who owns an independant garage work on the plastic cars but thought I might have a look myself at the waterpump on the Corsa today, not any more though....

Recently change the thermostat on my mothers Corsa as it was jammed shut. Sadly, the resuling oveheating took out the headgasket, so had the absolute joy of fixing that as well. If someone ever asks you to work on a 1.4 DOHC Corsa, run away! I think my Fiat Coupe is actually easier to work on, and that's saying something.

ReMan

posted on 11/5/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yest the thermostat is also a definate maybe at the same time as the belt and pump.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.