Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 7 security
Slater

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
7 security

Any suggestions for making sure my pride and joy does not get pinched when leaving it in public car parks?

I don't have a steering column lock, but do have a hidden switch in the engine bay (fitted for SVA).
It would be easy for someone to roll up with a trailor and release the handbrake, winch it on and away.

I have heard a little about motorbike imobilisers, are they any good and details, hints, tips??????

Any other electronic devices??

What about a big chain through the back wheel and suspension??

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

blakep82

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
immobiliser won't stop it getting trailered away.

bike alarm and immobiliser maybe though? at least it would make a noise and draw attention to itself

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
do what I did with the falcon, buy a big 16mm link bike chain, weld a large shackle to the chassis rails front back and chain the car to lampposts and railings. Sorted

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Big highly visible chain through the wheel/wishbone would prevent anyone rolling the car away... Just make sure you remove it before you try driving the car!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

eznfrank

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what handbrake your using but sometimes you can drill a hole through for a padlock to keep it "on".
DaveFJ

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
one of those personal wheel clamps like you use on caravans?

[Edited on 12-5-09 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Like tegwin but with a U-lock through the front wheel and around the steering arm. Get one in a bright colour as its mostly a deterent.

You can't do much about a trailer/low loader as the cars are so light (unless you lock it to something, like you have to do with a bicycle).

Matt

whitestu

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
What about one of the handrake locks that goes between the handbrake lever and gearstick?
wheelfelloff

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
As with all cars really it is just a case of trying to deter the casual thief. If they are determined to get the car then they will somehow or other. With these cars you also have to think about how much room your security takes up so not sure about wheel clamps.
For many years I have used the "secret switch" immobiliser coupled with one of those small krook lock things that goes between handbrake (firmly on) and gear stick (first gear). At least if they want to move it the handbrake is on and it is locked in first gear. The lock is small and lives just in front of the passenger seat without problem. Worked OK for me for the last four years.

Regards Keith

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
If the thieves have a winch they can drag anything on to the trailer so you'll need a cordless drill and ground anchor everywhere you go.
Or a motion/tilt alarm.

I would think that if someone sets out to nick any car, especially one they can drag onto a transporter they will manage it, my criteria has always been to just make other cars look less of a risk/pain in the arse to steal.
So a little flashing LED and a 'car data tagged' does it for me.
Next step, is if they get in and try and nick it anyway, and have basic skills in wiring a car, then a hidden kill switch may help as long as they don't figure which circuit is killed and they have a length of wire.
Couldn't you just get the wife/dog/kids to stay in the car (designated driver advantage there too)!

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Must type quicker!!
pewe

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
What whitestu says ^ I bought one from Autolok on fleabay for £20, their A01SE fits mine. Acts as a visual deterrent and stops it from being pushed around the corner.
Two large spring tool clips for local tool store with some cable covering mounted behind the seats means it's stored readily to hand whenever I park up.
Cheers, Pewe

dan__wright

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
ive got a big chain that i will put though wheel / wishbone if i leave it anywhere.

im planning to make a way to padlock the handbrake on and may end up going with an electronic gear change mounted on a removable wheel so in gear, take the wheel and gear change with me and obscure the gear change in the engine bay

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
What about one of the handrake locks that goes between the handbrake lever and gearstick?

That's what I've got - not much use against a determined thief, but good enough to stop someone reaching in and letting off the handbrake.

When it's fitted, the villain can't release the handbrake, it's fixed in 1st or reverse, and there's the steering lock as an added bonus. Each can be beaten, but not without tools of some sort.

Jasper

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a small cheap Thatcham immobiliser off Ebay, works on two circuits, almost impossible to bypass without plenty of time. As others have said, if they really want it they'll take it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

designer

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Get a keyed hydraulic lock for the rear wheels would be a start.

Seat pressure sensor, or sensor under dash pointing towards pedal another idea.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've found that a removable steering wheel helps as a bit of a deterrant.
tegwin

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said.. if the theif is determined... they will succeeed... my sister had her trick defender 90 pinched from outside her house whilst she slept....

The police reconed they came along with a low loader and dragged the car (in gear and with brake on) straight onto the lorry... we never saw it again... althjough some parts ended up on ebay!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/5/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
As others have said.. if the theif is determined... they will succeeed... my sister had her trick defender 90 pinched from outside her house whilst she slept....

The police reconed they came along with a low loader and dragged the car (in gear and with brake on) straight onto the lorry... we never saw it again... althjough some parts ended up on ebay!

Even then, a motion sensor alarm should have picked that up. It’s a car, fit the biggest damn ear blasting siren you can get your hands on, what’s 4 or more 180db horns to a car.

Its up to you how much you spend on it but I see 100 watt sirens for less than £100 and if the alarms so loud its intolerable or painful to even be next too, no ones going to touch it. Put a siren in the cabin blasting at their face behind the dash through a speaker grill so they can't get to it or turn it off, that is absolutely ear piercing. Their thieving scum so hurt them bad

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

BenB

posted on 12/5/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Removable steering wheel does it for me. I'm usually more worried about some tw@t setting off my fire extinguisher or tyre sealant cannister. I really must get a lockable box to stop that.... but I like the idea of a big FO chain between the wheels and wishbones....
caber

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I like this solution linky

Caber

iank

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
or one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcfm-lKoKIs

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 13/5/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Their thieving scum so hurt them bad

Run the positive terminal of the battery to the handbrake, then the negative terminal to the steering wheel and a few other places where said scum would touch.

Oh and I never said it, nor did you actually do it officer

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.