Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How big an aeroscreen
Vindi_andy

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
How big an aeroscreen

OK managed to acquire a 6 mm polycarb which I want to use as a temporary aeroscreen while i wait for my full windscreen.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how tall it needs to be to:

a) be relatively effective
b) not snap given that I only have 2 small supports at either side. they stick up 2 " which I can secure the screen to. You can just see the supports they have my mirrors fitted to them.

[Edited on 13/5/09 by Vindi_andy]

ironside

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
The 750MC regs require them to have 75mm vertical height. The ones Caterham make are the same height.

I've driven my car both without and with an aeroscreen that size and it *does* make a difference.

Vindi_andy

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
OK this isnt for trackday as I have said its just temporary until my screen comes so I can use the car without getting battered by the wind.

Having driven the car 61 miles to SVA and most of the way back at mainly motorway speeds I know there is a good amount of buffetting just didnt know how high to make it as Im not sure how strong it would be given the wind resistance.

Its currently 8 inches tall but i think that may be a bit much.

Maradona

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
The small planes like Cesnas, or Pipers have 6 mm in his polycarb windshield.

Diego,
The locost builder from Argentina

Vindi_andy

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
well that means itll be strong but its only fixed at the bottom of the screen at the sides Im just a littl wary of it snapping off and decapitating me.

Not worried about it decapitating the wife shes well insured.

02GF74

posted on 13/5/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I can measure my screens as they are effective - I have driven and moved my hand around to feel for the area that is screen.

My ones go through slots in the scuttle and supported very well below - sounds like something you don't want to do. Rescued attachment screen support.JPG
Rescued attachment screen support.JPG

Vindi_andy

posted on 13/5/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Want to try and avoid making unnecessary holes if poss as the full screen will be going on as soon as it arrives.

Would appreciate if you could measure yours ( ooooo errrr misus) and let me know how tall it is

catman

posted on 13/5/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
it also depends on the angle of mounting as to what hieght you want to go for and also how tall you are, seating position, scuttle height etc i would go for 6" take her for a run then feel where the wind hits you then take it from there.

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

omega0684

posted on 13/5/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
how long is the wait until the windowscreen arrives? is it wortht the time and effort to make an aeroscreen or can you just put up with a little extra wind for a while?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Vindi_andy

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
its already fitted but not been out for a drive in it yet not got number plates.

Its currently 8" high so might leave it at that and go for a gente drive and see how it reacts.

How long will it be till the screen comes? how long is a piece of string the kit manufacturer isnt exactly known for his promptness of delivery

dogwood

posted on 14/5/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy mate.

Glad to see it's all finished, It's looking good.
I bet the girls cant wait to get out in it.
Or have they been out all ready..

To your question, mine is 170mm high in the middle. but my scuttle looks lower than yours.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Vindi_andy

posted on 14/5/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi dogwood,

Still got those old alloys on?

No the girls havent been out except out of the garage to the end of the drive ( about 15 feet) and back in again.

I, on the otherhand hand a fantastic 110 mile round trip to SVA and back, until the gearbox broke

But on a plus note I do now have another gearbox to fix my old one which I will be doing tonight. Hopefully Via DVLA Notts to pick up docs Then Ill have to test the repair

Vindi_andy

posted on 14/5/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well we now have got the reg papers, plates, fixed the gearbox, put the tax disk on it and went from a test. The Aeroscrren was great and did not move or flex so obviously fine.
dogwood

posted on 15/5/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
There will be no stopping ya now then..

I put the alloys on my tintop..well waste not want not.

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.