Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with bodywork on a Saab 96
trogdor

posted on 18/5/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Help with bodywork on a Saab 96

Hi everyone,

Now I am hoping some people will know I am building a custom Saab 96 that is going to have a mid mounted Audi V6 engine. Is only a 12V at the moment but will make it easier to fit a 30V later

Anyway my plan is to weld in a front engine bay from a donor 96 which will give me double wishbone suspension all round, easy uprated suspension and all round disk brakes. Have not decided how to get the handbrake to work yet.

So...... I will have an engine that sits where the rear seats where and a transaxle mounted behind it. My problem is getting the engine and gearbox in and out, one way is through the door and through the interior and into position. This will be difficult as my hoist will not get in there and if I have a nice interior I don't want to be moving an engine in and out of there.

The only other way that springs to mind is through the rear window. This would require a removable section of the bodywork. I have done a quick sketch of what I mean......

However my main concern is how to seal the section? does anyone have any idea? This way looks difficult as would need to remove the rear window to remove the engine but its fairly easy to remove, not sure how easy to put back tho......

Any ideas of how I can cut and make a weather tight section of bodywork that incorporates a bootlid and rear window would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

MikeR

posted on 18/5/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Why not make it so the entire engine etc is on a sub frame and the car drops onto the subframe?

Then make a bracket 'thing' that you attach your engine crane to so you can life up the body work.

JAG

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I think I would do it as Mike suggests. Cut out the floor and make up a subframe that carries the engine/gearbox and rear suspension etc... and then lower the body over the lot.

That's how they build a modern FWD saloon afterall.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
^ as above

make a steel tube frame in the back that the subframe can bolt to, then you can drop the engine running gear out all in one. Lets see a picture of the subframe. Don't like the idea at all of mucking about with the rear window, it'll most likely be double skinned so a pain to weld back in and if you cut it I bet the shell will distort, especially with those narrow roof pillars. Personally I’d put the whole engine/gearbox/subframe & hubs etc together and then make the new ‘body frame’. Then weld the ‘body frame’ to the rear.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 18/5/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
That left hand Yellow Line looks dodgy - you're not thinking of including the fence for good measure are you?

S

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.