Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daughters Tin Top woes / dealer rant.....
r1_pete

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Daughters Tin Top woes / dealer rant.....

I have been driving Lexus for nearly 10 years now, untill getting the Mitsy, wife still has one and our daughter has one.

She was out in it last Sunday, when it developed a water leak, AA man topped it up, and they bought some radweld, AA man followed them home, no water leaking.

They took it to the Lexus agent, who have had it on the diagnostic machine guess its a pressure tester, and tell us the result in indeterminate.

Now here's where the sting starts

Lexus man says "We suspect the head gasket, but cant confirm it, we reccomend dismantling it to check rectify and re-build £1200 + VAT minimum"

Daugter says "she's not sure she can afford that"

Lexus Man - "well one of our mechanics is interested in buying it, we think its worth £1000"

She talks to me and if thats the case she may as well run it into the ground for the next couple of months topping up.

Point being over the last 10 years I have had nothing but trust in Lexus, and this epsode has just destroyed that trust. I feel they were setting her up for a big rip off, I will be taking a look myself, with no evidence its difficult to take it higher, but they've deffo blotted their copy book!!

Seems every time I deal with professionals and tradesmen I'm getting let down or ripped off lately.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
So you are pissed off at an entire organisation because of one or two employees? Seems a bit severe.

Perhaps you should speak to their head office (the UK one)

John

stuart_g

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Why not get a new rad and fit it yourself? It can't be under warranty if it's only worth £1000 Why did you even go to the stealers?
CraigJ

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
1. Which Lexus is it?

2. why did you let her take it to a main dealer?

Main dealers are just a bunch of monkeys with a computer and if that computer cant tell them the problem they are stumped as the really haven't got a f**king clue what to do.

Im lucky enough to be able to do my own mechanics, But i always tell people to find a local garage that has been recommend by more than 1 person. Smaller garages generally have to rely on good service and workmanship than main dealers etc.

Ps. hope you get it sorted.

also £1200+vat for a head gasket doing

[Edited on 20/5/09 by CraigJ]

prawnabie

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CraigJ

Main dealers are just a bunch of monkeys with a computer and if that computer cant tell them the problem they are stumped as the really haven't got a f**king clue what to do.

I think you should revise that statement, there are people on this forum who work at main dealers.

Danozeman

posted on 20/5/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Take it to an indepentdant garage not a dealer. They will test it fairly.

Main dealers are struggling at the min and will be after work.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

speedyxjs

posted on 20/5/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
quote:

I think you should revise that statement, there are people on this forum who work at main dealers.

I think he means main dealers who arnt/havnt built their own car
What Lexus is it? Can you not do it yourself?

r1_pete

posted on 20/5/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps..

Its a 2002 IS200, don't know where the leaks from, I haven't seen it, I'll take a look this weekend.

TBH I don't service my own daily driver that goes to the dealers, takes the pleasure out of the car building hobby IMO.

With all te cars in the family if I do one, the others will expect it too, and I'll have no time for the project....

[Edited on 20/5/09 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 20/5/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Definetly get a second opinion

Think it would be worth more than a grand
Even with a 'Water leak'

If your not happy with the service you've had at the dealer, take it all the way to head office..

COREdevelopments

posted on 20/5/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Check the waterpump as these usually leak overtime. I also agree if your not happy with the service complain to head office, they will take it seriously. i think its bit of a cheak for one of the techs to offer to buy a cusomers car when they have a problem with it! its worth alot more than that. Also 1200 seems alot but it is a lexus not a 106 or saxo. the parts cost much more has 6 cylinders a timing chain, would need to be pressure tested and possibly skimmed, and main dealers aint the cheapest on labour. Hope you get it sorted as an is200 is a bloody great car.

Rob

trikerneil

posted on 20/5/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
When I took my tintop in for a water leak diagnosis my garage said they were pretty sure it wasn't the head gasket 'coz they'd checked the coolant for carbon monoxide or similar.
Well they convinced me - I'm still topping it up 20,000 miles later

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

britishtrident

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I honestly don't think the dealer or the mechanic were at it --- expensive quality cars mean big bills even when they are getting on a bit.

However I would be a bit disgruntled with the AA Radweld should not be used in any modern car -- especially a Japanese model. Japanese cars tend to have very fine coolant passages which Radweld or Barrs Leaks can block completely.

It is fairly easy to make a DIY pressure tester from a garden spray bottle (type with a built in pressure gauge and a plastic tee peice from B&Q. Pressure tests are worthless unless done with the engine stone cold --- hot coolant under pressure on escaping instantly flashes off into invisible steam.

Head gasket if leaking into/from the cylinders will show up by putting an emmision tester probe into the coolant tank same goes for those testing tablets than can be bought -- but head gaskets don't always leak this way.

Personally I would just do a pressure test and if nothing shows put some K-seal in it ------ K-seal is safe

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trikerneil
When I took my tintop in for a water leak diagnosis my garage said they were pretty sure it wasn't the head gasket 'coz they'd checked the coolant for carbon monoxide or similar.
Well they convinced me - I'm still topping it up 20,000 miles later

Neil

Head gaskets can fail between the water and oil pasageways and cause oil in the water and water in the oil (typical Rover K series) but not leak into/from a cylinder this won't show up as gases in the coolant tank

[Edited on 20/5/09 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Ketchup

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
2nd adding a bottle of k-seal as an option, bloody marvelous stuff, it wont block everything up, if i remember correctly, it only reacts if combustion gasses are present
l0rd

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look yourself. Just borrow the car for a quick ride. Go somewhere were you can't be seen by anyone else in the family and check it out

Try to check were the leak was. Ask your daughter if the car overheated badly. Check for oil in the water and water in the oil. Compression test the engine and see how it goes from there.

Peteff

posted on 20/5/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
V reg fetch £2,500 on autotrader so it should be worth £1300 to him at least even with the gasket gone if he can repair it for himself at trade prices. I think you may be right and he knows something you don't, get it checked elsewhere.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark G

posted on 20/5/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Thankyou.

britishtrident

posted on 21/5/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Why should he it is true of 99% of the motor trade as a whole and 99.5% true of main dealers.

The problems is very few kids leaving school want to do jobs where they actually get their hands dirty as result the motor trade is desperately short of intelligent mechanics -- note I used the term mechanic not technician.
In garages we now have a culture the average technician is over dependant on computer diagnostics and unable to use his or eyes ears and commonsense.

[Edited on 21/5/09 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Guinness

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not so convinced by K-Seal anymore. I chucked a bottle in the Indy when I thought I had a head gasket leak.

I've since discovered that it had completely blocked up the pipe to the expansion bottle, causing my system to pressure up and eventually a hose to give way.

I have yet to examine the water heating circuit in the carbs, but I'm not looking forward to it!

Mike

prawnabie

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
quote:

Why should he it is true of 99% of the motor trade as a whole and 99.5% true of main dealers.

The problems is very few kids leaving school want to do jobs where they actually get their hands dirty as result the motor trade is desperately short of intelligent mechanics -- note I used the term mechanic not technician.
In garages we now have a culture the average technician is over dependant on computer diagnostics and unable to use his or eyes ears and commonsense.

[Edited on 21/5/09 by britishtrident]

Im not saying it wasn't true, the point I was trying to make is that this is a car forum, me and probably a few other people on it work at main dealers. Making a statement like that is bound to get peoples backs up. Its like me saying..

"kit car builders are just a bunch of monkeys with a forum and if that fourm cant tell them the problem they are stumped as the really haven't got a f**king clue what to do".

Now surely that will offend people on here, and although In my eyes it may or may not be true, i still should have "toned" it down and maybe not of made it appear that i was refering to kit car builders as a whole.

l0rd

posted on 21/5/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I'm not so convinced by K-Seal anymore. I chucked a bottle in the Indy when I thought I had a head gasket leak.

I've since discovered that it had completely blocked up the pipe to the expansion bottle, causing my system to pressure up and eventually a hose to give way.

I have yet to examine the water heating circuit in the carbs, but I'm not looking forward to it!

Mike

At least you can see that it did something and on much bigger hole

r1_pete

posted on 21/5/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a quick look at daughters car, a golf ball size lump of dried antifreeze on the bottom of the radiator, and the undertray soaking wet underneath it, is a bit of a give away.

In this case those comments about main stealers are more than deserved!!

COREdevelopments

posted on 22/5/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
well spotted but like you say it not hard to miss. i would seriously make a complaint to head office about the lexus dealer in question as they will take it very seriously and take action. This is the sort of behaviour that gives main dealers a bad name.

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.