Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lambda Sensor query
albertz

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Lambda Sensor query

I have been having trouble getting my engine to run right. The engine is a new 2.0 Zetec (blacktop) with Griffin inlet manifold and Omex 600 ECU. The engine is running very rich and is misfiring slightly. I have pulled the plugs and they are very sooty and black.

Having spoken to Griffin today i was advised that the engine was probably drawing air somewhere, probably into the exhaust at the manifold which is giving a wrong signal to the lambda sensor to increase the fuel to compensate for unburnt oxygen.

However, when i pulled the plug of the sensor there was no notable difference to the running of the engine in terms of sound or clearing the misfire. I had expected that disconnecting the sensor should have made some difference whether better or worse, i expected to notice instantly. Is that the case normally? Would disconnecting the lambda make a noticable difference?

Also, Griffin suggested as a last resort to decrease the microsec/bit (mspb) rate by 3-4 points to weaken the fuel mixture right across the rev range. Does that sound reasonable?

Between the engine running rich and misfiring plus my problems with the cooling system i am getting really frustrated with it at the moment!

Jasongray5

posted on 21/5/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you pulled the sensor out and there was no difference in the engine running, then it would suggest that there is too much oxygen in your exhaust. So air leak it does sound like to me?

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

MikeRJ

posted on 22/5/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe you have a problem with the coolant temperature sensor? If it's telling the ECU the engine is cold all the time then the engine would run rich and the lambda sensor would never be used.
norm007

posted on 22/5/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I had a problem with my coolant sensor telling ECU it was cold which in turn richens the mixture.
New Omex sensor @ £20.00 did the trick.

Mine was also a Zetec engine, with single throttle body/Omex ECU setup, similar to Griffin

mr henderson

posted on 22/5/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Drawing air INTO an exhaust system

Seems a little unlikely to me

John

cd.thomson

posted on 22/5/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Drawing air INTO an exhaust system

Seems a little unlikely to me

John

I think it could be possible if there was a gap in the manifold somewhere, i.e. in one or more of the headers. Air could get pulled through as the exhaust gases create a vacuum near the head after the exhaust valves close?

Craig

albertz

posted on 22/5/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
The guy at Griffin told me that it is all too easy to draw air into the system, because my reaction was the same as yours, surely the air out would be more likely, but apparently every pulse causes a small vacuum which is enough to throw the lambda sensor all wrong.

Good suggestion regarding the coolant sensor though, i will look into that. Isit possible to easily check the existing sensor or just replace it?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.