Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions again for IVA- ZX9 engine(B2?)
rb968

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Emissions again for IVA- ZX9 engine(B2?)

I know this has been covered in various other posts but after some more advice.

I have a ZX9 engine believed to be a B2. I was told it was a 1996 but it came in the chassis and I have no paperwork but believe it came from Z-cars. The engine number matches the range in the Haynes manual but the same range covers B1, B2 and B3 over a couple of years.

I understand that the emissions for post 1995 are stricter so......

If it is confirmed 1996 (or I declare it as such when ever I get to IVA) will i defo need a CAT to pass emissions

For an engine after 1995 :

Iddle : CO under 0.5 %

Fast iddle ( 2500 -3000 RPM)
CO under 0.3%
HC under 200 ppm
Lambda : from 0.97 to 1.03

OR is there a hope in hell it could pass without? I intend to get my local friendly garage to test it first with the exhaust I have (non-cat zx9 B2 silencer).

When I declare engine age what do I need to prove its age and is there a hope I can declare it as 1994?

oh and if I need a CAT where do I get one and how much is it likely to be?

Cheers

Rich

Jasper

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
You will defintiely need a CAT, and even with it it'll be a complete bastard - my ZX9B2 took three goes at SVA.

And make sure there are absolutely no air gaps between the block at the can, I ended up using silicone sealant as exhaust manifold gasket to make absolutely sure.

Good luck!!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

rb968

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Where did you get your CAT from?

Anyone with an 7 style car recommend one?

Rich

Jasper

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I got one on loan from Powerspeed down in Kent - but I had bought a manifold from them .... I'd post this in the BEC section, you'll get an answer.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

PaulYDP

posted on 22/5/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a universal sports-cat from ebay and just got it mated up to my system - works fine and I got my zx9 C through emissions first time for SVA - only just though and I have the engine dynojetted!
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yep you'll deffo need a cat if it's post 95. I dynojetted my C1 and had a play with the colortune and gastester and it wasn't far out after all that provided it was up to temperature mind.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/5/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding engine age, I had a duplicate of the V5 (colour photocopy) which was deemed in-sufficient for aging.

I phones Suzuki UK with the chassis and engine number and they told me the age over the phone, and posted me the details with the right letter head all for free.

If I had wanted actual date of manufacture (and not just registration) then I would have had to pay a small charge (£15 or so). I didn't need this.

If you talk to Kawasaki UK you might find you are in luck. Also check the SVA carefully, as if it is manufacture (rather than registration date) then you might be able to slip under. It is definitely worth the bother, as the more challenging emissions may live with you at every MOT (this seems to depend a bit on the testers and other random factors).

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.