Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Car engine Vs Bike engine weight
CraigJ

posted on 23/5/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Car engine Vs Bike engine weight

Just thought id post this up as i thought it may be helpful.

I recently had a 1600 Rover K-series engine in my garage which i put on the scales and it came in at 86kg's, this was a bare engine with no ancillaries see pic

Today i put my 1989 Kawasaki ZX10 engine on the same scales and it came in at 80kg's exact, this was with the starter motor and alternator attached, see pic.

I know the car engine will still have weight yet to be added like starter, alternator, inlet manifold and gearbox so id guess there is going to be around 40-50 kg's to be added yet where as with the bike engine all that is to be added is the carbs and a chain diff so maybe 15-20 kg's max.

I just found it interesting that even compared to a light car engine the bike engine still save's me up to 30kg's in weight. I think the only problem i now face is that i weigh 102 kg's lol. Time for a diet me thinks.

smart51

posted on 23/5/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
A fully dressed 1.6 or 1.8 K series is quoted at 99kg, with the 1.4 and 1.1 versions at 100kg. That is plus gearbox of course, and perhaps plus clutch.

My carbed R1 engine, complete but without carbs weighed 60kg. That does include gearbox and clutch. The carbs must only weigh 2 or 3 kg. Ready to go that must be a 70kg weight saving.

zilspeed

posted on 23/5/09 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
That backs up what I was already thinking.

ZX10 engine is towards the heavier end of the scales regarding bike engines.

K series is very much towards the light end of bike engines.

P.S. I used to weigh 123 kg.
(That's 19 1.2 stone to save you working it out).

Now somewhere between 80 and 82kg.
Trust me, if Zil can do it, anyone can.

P.P.S. Just enjoyed an Asda Cajun Chicken Pizza. You have to be good to youself too sometimes.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.