Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12 not starting - no fuel?
eznfrank

posted on 23/5/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
ZX12 not starting - no fuel?

Well I finally got around to trying to start the ZX12, it was the first time I'd tested any of the electrics so when the clocks lit up, and the fan, horn etc all worked fan I was quite chuffed with myself.

The engine turned over but I don't think it was getting any fuel, I certainly couldn't smell any over the inlets.

I'm not 100% sure it was getting a spark either.

I checked all the wiring to the fuel pump and all looks good to me. It may well be just a dodgy relay as it wa sthe original and I think it's been knocked about a bit so I'll try that first but any other ideas/suggestions.

In terms of the interlocks the side stand and clutch are at ground and I have the original ignition so no issues there.

Still chuffed but any advice appreciated

daniel mason

posted on 23/5/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
have you disconnected main fuel hose to see if there is pressure? i had similar prob this week with 5jjR1 and i had no voltage at ignition coils when ignition was on. a wire had come loose on fai kill switch!
eccsmk

posted on 23/5/09 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
well done mate
i had a problem with the switch in the battery tray (tilt switch?) gave it a little persuasion and everything was ok.

when you turn the igntion on can you hear the fuel pump running (i think it runs for 2-3 seconds until the pressure is correct)

eznfrank

posted on 23/5/09 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
No the fuel pump wasn't running at all, I couldn't hear the relay clicking either?

I've not looked at the tilt sitch at all yet but I#ll check that tomorrow. Would that just shut the fuel off or stop it turning over all together?

eccsmk

posted on 23/5/09 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
im sure my tilt switch cut the fuel and spark
ill have a play tomorrow see what happens

have you had a look at all the fuses i know it sounds stupid but its so easy to miss a broken one (im good at that)
then check power to the pump

im waiting for hellfire to appear on this thread as phil/steve helped me with mine and they are blooming brilliant!!

eznfrank

posted on 23/5/09 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm......as I had the battery tray upright I didn't even think to check the tilt switch I just figured it would be right - doh.

I have a funny feeling I wasn't getting fuel or spark so that would make sense - hmmmm!! Do you think the neighbours will mind if i get out of bed and go check now

[Edited on 23/5/09 by eznfrank]

eccsmk

posted on 23/5/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
no
if they come round moaning just make out its sent you deaf

eznfrank

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, tried that and still no joy, although it can't have been doing me any favours, the switch had fallen out and was sat in the bottom of the box!!!

The fuel pump should prime as soon as I switch on the ignition?

[Edited on 24/5/09 by eznfrank]

Moorron

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got the original clocks? if not install a 12v LED to the diagnostic wire (search the wiring diagram for the correct wire). This might tell you whats wrong.

The 12v led will need an ignition power feed and the ecu wire earths the led to show any problems. Then all you do is earth the yellow bullet conector on of the the blanked of plugs near the ECU to get it to list all known faults. I installed this in my car with a switch and has come in handy.

If you have a later non fuel return engine then be carefull removing the fuel line, i nearly blinded myself with petrol as it really sprayed out.

i would also hold both the ecu and fuel pump relay in your hand and start the car again, you shoul feel and hear them both click (ecu on when you switch on, fuel pump one when you crack it).

good luck

eznfrank

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I have the original clocks, just been and checked and no noise or movement from the relay or ECU when I switch ignition. Clocks light up and other stuff works??

A guide I have refers to the ECU light but I don't know where that is

Moorron

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
i have aftermarket clocks, but i assume the led is in the original clocks. Does the starter turn over? if so let it crank for about 10 seconds, as on mine if it doesnt start then my led lit up. not sure if this will give you a fault code or just tell you it failed to start but its worth a try.

it sounds like something simple, but its hard to remember how the system works as i did mine over xmas while drunk. I was amazed it started first time! lol

have you cut and shut the loom? have you got the original relays or aftermarket ones?

maybe i should reply when im drunk and then it might come back to me?

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

eznfrank

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah the LED has not lit up at all?? Ive taken the battery off now to give it a fresh charge so will try again during the week I think.

Bit puzzled but as you say I bet it's something dead simple?

Smartripper

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Have you put the 100 Ohm resistor in the grey wire from the keys to the ecu ???

Sounds like the ecu don't wake up on startup.

Normaly when putting power on the fuelpump primes for 2-3 sec.

Daniel

eznfrank

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have the original lock set so no need for the resistor, but yeah the ECU just doesn't want to wake up? weird!!

Although I do have a resistor, I might try it anyway just in case?

eznfrank

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
What if I have a UK ECU and a US loom?? I'm not saying I do but there was a little confusion at the start as I thought I had a UK loom but the colours just weren't right.

According to Kwak the engine I have is UK spec but the loom is US, the ignition is also US but I just wonder if the ECU is UK or USA??? Anyway of finding out??

[Edited on 24/5/09 by eznfrank]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.