Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: making bonnet
RK

posted on 25/5/09 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
making bonnet

Looks straighforward (yeah, right, like everything else). I either give it a go, or spend $1000 to have it made (it has to be 40" long, way longer than most). Since I don't want to spend one more penny on this albatross, I'm going for it, and I'm prepared for months of frustration ahead of time. I'm going to make it with three pieces of ally, since a big sheet won't fit in the car.

However, my intake plenum sticks out. How do you make the thing and accurately figure out where the hole goes? Is it just trial and error using cardboard?

aerosam

posted on 25/5/09 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
could you not get a big sheet delivered? Making it out of 1 piece may not only look better but it would certainly be easier than making 3 pieces and trying to fit them together.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

Danozeman

posted on 25/5/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Id try and get 1 sheet delivered. Much easier.

As you say trial and error with some card for the holes.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MakeEverything

posted on 25/5/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Measure from the edges of the inlet to the proposed edge of the new bonnet for the hole. Or make a frame for the bonnet out of wire coat hangers and cardboard?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

RK

posted on 25/5/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Will follow you advice and go with one piece. Trying to save $100 is a bit silly at this point isn't it?

And measure up and trial and error with thick paper/cardboard it is!
Thank you!!

RoadkillUK

posted on 25/5/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Make a cardboard one first then you know exaclty the size you need and also where to cut the hole(s).

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 25/5/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I made a card template - you can cut a hole, and if it's too big you can stick on some more card until all the gaps are correct. It matters not one jot that the card template looks scruffy, as long as its outline is correct.

My template is still rolled up in the garage rafters, in case I need to make another bonnet (see earlier thread about my flying bonnet!).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.