Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are you allowed to put the battery in the boot?
aerosam

posted on 26/5/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Are you allowed to put the battery in the boot?

I have to use quite a large battery, and there simply isn't going to be enough room under the bonnet. In my donor it was located under the back seat, so the long battery cable is just about the perfect length to locate it in the boot of ly locost.

My main concern is having it so close to the battery, is it allowed? Do you have to completely separate them in different compartments?

Thanks,

Sam.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

coozer

posted on 26/5/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Mines in the passenger footwell and passed SVA no problem.

Is it being so close the petrol tank your concerned about?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 26/5/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
minis were like that, and more recently my BMW is has the battery in the boot. it'll be fine

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/5/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
only real down side is the huge heavy cable run to the front which needs a heavy cable due to the voltage drop over that distance. Not really the best place for a battery if you can help it.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MautoK

posted on 26/5/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
My MK's battery is in the boot:

Boot/Battery
Boot/Battery

Reasons:
I didn't like the idea of securing it on the scuttle,
There's enough weight up front already,
Benefit of the weight over the rear wheels

John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

nstrug

posted on 26/5/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
BMW 3-series all have the battery in the boot - no worries there.
Ivan

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
If I recall - "battery acid + petrol = FIRE" so might not be so great in a rear end accident where battery will be shattered and the tank of a locost is vulnerable as well.

Don't forget in tintops etc the battery is separated from the tank by the floor of the boot etc.

deezee

posted on 26/5/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see it being a problem. Its not a problem on motorbikes, nor is it an issue on classic cars. Plus LOADS of people in the modding scene move thier batteries to the boot space to tidy up the engine bay.

Incidently, lead acid isn't a source of ignition for petrol. I'd be more concerned with the poor contacts on the battery being a source of ignition.

aerosam

posted on 26/5/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
only real down side is the huge heavy cable run to the front which needs a heavy cable due to the voltage drop over that distance. Not really the best place for a battery if you can help it.

Unfortunately it's the only place I have room for the battery, it really is quite large. The good thing is though that the donor BMW gave me the correct cable for it which is almost excactly the right length for a locost.

I am concerned about the proximity of the battery and the fueal tank, perhaps i'll build a box for the battery to sit inside. That's ok as long as it's vented, right?

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

blakep82

posted on 26/5/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
well, as lpong as its properly clamped down then its fine. acid + petrol won't cause a fire i don't think. petrol can only ignite from flame or spark, so as long as the battery won't touch the tank, it can't move and is clamped down right, and you've got the right covers on the terminals its fine

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mad-butcher

posted on 26/5/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think the only issue if I was a tester would be were the fuel tank vents.if it vented into the boot area I would have an issue,if the end of the vent pipe was in clean air ( outside bodywork) no issue

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aerosam

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
As opposed to venting under the bonnet?

I don't understand.

mad-butcher

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
My fuel tanks not under the bonnet
blakep82

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
As opposed to venting under the bonnet?

I don't understand.

what he means is, as long as you're not venting the tank next to the battery, otherwise you'll end up with a boot full of petrol fumes. battery terminal comes loose, bang. if you vent it into fresh air then all's good

aerosam

posted on 26/5/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, I was confused I was, in my last post I asked if it was ok to build a box for the battery, as long as the battery box is vented.

Now I get it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.