Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stamped In Chassis Number For DVLA
Barksavon

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Stamped In Chassis Number For DVLA

I am taking my Tiger Avon to the Notts DVLA office next week for inspection. I have the Tiger supplied chassis plate riveted to the car, can anyone tell me whetherl dvla will also require the chassis number stamped into the chassis as well...Thanks
Pdlewis

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes they do. I only had it stamped in, in 2 places and they said i should have had a plate as well

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

mr henderson

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
It's my understanding that yes, they will require one, on the right hand side of the car. Either stamped in, or stamped to a plate and the plate welded

John

ReMan

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
No!

So that goes to prove again.....

Edited to say
Mine was at Nottingham and one rivvetted plate was enough.
But I see there are people above that have had more recent inspections than me, so they may have changed their mind

Cox

[Edited on 26/5/09 by ReMan]

ashg

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
they havent changed their mind. they never made it up in the first place

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

russbost

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
IVA has changes in this respect from SVA, you now require a permanent marking (doesn't have to be stamped I use an engraving tool to etch the no. on) on the RHS of the chassis & you also require an alloy plate or similar to be rivetted on elsewhere.
For DVLA I think a rivetted plate would be sufficient as they are simply checking the vehicle is marked as per their paperwork.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I dremelled mine on.

Obviously you have to go into the through the powder coat and into the metal. Then filled it in with silver hammerite to prevent rust.

It was dead easy to do and is permanent.

Matt

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/5/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have one plate riveted on to the bulkhead and I had another steel plate welded to one of the lower chassis plates in the engine bay. DVLA suggested that I might want to consider stamping the number out of sight somewhere less obvious as the welded plate could have the welds ground off and the plate replaced. I would think that the same could be said for a chassis tube on our cars!
mad-butcher

posted on 26/5/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Now that's interesting richard. welded on plate for SVA. stamped or in my case dremmeled in 2 places for DVLA at same DVLA office.
The one thing I've noticed with sva is it's all common sense..if it's on a production car within reason it should be on a kit car.
If a riveted plate was good enough for a production car then we'd all be buying bangers and nicking a good car and swapping the plate.. or I would anyway

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FEZ1025

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
A friend if mine **cough** took his kit to Nottingham with the number only on a riveted plate. He was asked where it was also stamped into the chassis, he replied "Oh up under the front end, I can show you but it will take at least 45 minutes to strip all the parts off" The reply was "No as long as it's also stamped on there it's okay" That was about 2 months ago, according to my friend. Of course when I took mine there it had the number on twice **cough**

Alan...

snapper

posted on 26/5/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not a problem really, stamp it on where they can easliy see it and have a neat plate in the engine bay somewhere
I have stamped in 2 places, a plate in the engine bay and a couple hidden.
Anyone knicks the car i know where the hidden plates are.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Barksavon

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
stamped in number

thanks for the replies, ive stamped the number in so should be ok
stevegough

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't even got a number yet - at what stage do you get one? ( I bought my chassis from ebay - not directly from Luego )

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

rusty nuts

posted on 31/5/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Getting your chassis number from Luego doesn't necessarily mean you will get a unique number!!! They have been known to issue the same number twice.
stevegough

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Getting your chassis number from Luego doesn't necessarily mean you will get a unique number!!! They have been known to issue the same number twice.

That's nice to know, Mel! I have also heard at some point that the local DVLA can issue a number, is that correct?
I am nearing the halfway point in my build now (says he talking total twaddle) - at what point do you apply for a number - because you need it before taking to the SVA / IVA test, don't you?

Regards, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

rusty nuts

posted on 31/5/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about anyone else but I got mine from old Luego a couple of weeks before applying for SVA which I passed before going to DVLA . Some have had the DVLA inspection before SVA and have been issued a chassis number

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.