Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel hose worry?
jambo

posted on 26/5/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
fuel hose worry?

i am a bit concerned with a 7" piece of hose i have at the throttle boddies. where the copper fuel pipe enters into the engine bay this pipe connects between the copper and the fitting on the throttle boddies.
set up is zx10 bec using origonal bike pump.
the hose seems to look bloated,do i need to fit metal coated hose,if so can you recomend a supplier.
thanks.

blakep82

posted on 26/5/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
if its fuel hose, and rated to high enough pressure, its fine.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Paul (Notts)

posted on 27/5/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
make sure its not low pressure fule hose as this will swell up at high pressure.

Paul

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/5/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
replace it if you have any doubt, it a very small price to pay for not having your car go up in flames. I buy only branded hoses for the fuel lines (as it happens mostly goodyear) and use proper fuel line clamps too rather than jubilee clamps as those tend to jag into the hose on the small sizes.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/5/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just make sure you're using fuel hose rated for fuel injection systems (much higher pressure than carb'd systems).

Also if you're using straight copper pipe you should think about flaring the end of the pipe so the hose clamp sits behind the flare to prevent it being forced off under pressure. One trick used here is to solder on an olive or solder ring straight connector which provides a suitable flare/bead to retain the hose/clamp under pressure.

wilkingj

posted on 27/5/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Just make sure you're using fuel hose rated for fuel injection systems (much higher pressure than carb'd systems).

Also if you're using straight copper pipe you should think about flaring the end of the pipe so the hose clamp sits behind the flare to prevent it being forced off under pressure. One trick used here is to solder on an olive or solder ring straight connector which provides a suitable flare/bead to retain the hose/clamp under pressure.

Agreed, Although I would solder an olive on the end of the copper pipe. Flaring it will leave an edge that can cut into the inside of the pipe.
Or unless you have a brake pipe flaring tool with the right sized dies, put a rounded flare with no sharp edges against the pipe.

Best to be safe. A petrol fire is nasty, and more so if its under 60psi!

You do have an inertial cut off switch fitted to the pump's relay circuit dont you?.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambo

posted on 27/5/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
i have already a soldered streight fitting on the end of copper pipe to aid blowing off also the bikes run stop switch wired in at dash.i think i probably have carb hose fitted rather than inj. pressure hose.
any one know where i can get a piece of hp braider hose?

*davies144*

posted on 1/6/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
make sure you have the correct hose, my car set on fire 2 weeks ago due to an incorrect fuel line (which i didnt fit by the way). ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.