Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gelcoating
RK

posted on 27/5/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
gelcoating

I have a silly question: I have had no end of trouble trying to paint my nosecone and rear arches. All I want is white enamel, and then clearcoat or wax. Could I gelcoat everything instead, and then just polish?

What is the procedure? I am loathe to spend another $1000 on a paint job, and still need to do a bonnet later on. Right now, I am going to scratch and scuff these things without just mounting them on and being done with it.

Thank you!!

twybrow

posted on 27/5/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you can, but getting a good bond to whatever you're gelling is the key.... Abraid (80 grit) and solvent clean, then pait, roller of even better spray the gelcoat onto your parts. You will have a lot of filling and fairing to make it a really good even finish, but it is forgiving.
martyn_16v

posted on 27/5/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to add wax to your gelcoat (to make it flow/topcoat) so it'll cure properly, gelcoat doesn't normally fully cure in the presence of air

Hugh Paterson

posted on 27/5/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Dont bother unless u use spray gel, even then the refinishing is a pain in the ass, much easier to abrade the surface with 240 grit, prime and paint with two pack or poly, trust me I do this daily.
regards
Shug.

RK

posted on 27/5/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like another job for someone else to do. What the hell is another $1000 anyways?

Thanks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.