Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: karting advice
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
karting advice

went on a "team building" karting day last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, maybe too much.

Lets face it i'm a hefty guy at 19 stone so i knew i was never going to win.

I managed a fastest lap of 24.8 which i whittled down from 26s over 6 sessions of 10 laps. Fastest time of the day was 23 flat by a 13 stone guy and the lap record is 22.5 by an 11 year old

I was able to catch and pass the quick guys through the corners, but on the straights it was like i was standing still. like wise off the start the whole grid would pass me leaving me to claw back position through each race.

I reckon i could have been good at this sport if i'd have found it young

how much time do you think i was forfitting carrying 6 or more stone over the winners.

No smart comments about losing weight now! I have already lost a bunch and am going the right way

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

blakep82

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
difficult to say really, i guess it depends on the track. you may have better technique going into the corners, but as a, er , huskier gentleman you maybe lost out on acceleration. depends on the layout of the track i think. was it mostly corners or long striaghts?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ReMan

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Been there, I feel your pain
I'm 16-17st and many pre recession years ago karting was always the team event of choice.

I thought my karts were the dud's but learnt as you have that weight plays a big part in the equation.
This still applies to the Indy and 2 up kills the performance

hellbent345

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
im also interested in this, the last time i went karting was at a corporate event type thingy with my dad, i was young but about the same weight you were describing and ended up mid field in 8th, i think with gokarting weight really effects you, i couldnt get off the line, braking into corners was a problem (had to brake earlyyy) and accelerating out was an issue too lol (slooow)! if i went back now i wonder if id be any quicker?

200mph

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
There's also air resistance to take into account, as heavier people tend to have a larger profile so two reasons for going slower.

Plus, everyone knows there is a faster kart that someone else always gets!!

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

hellbent345

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
HAHA i remember that about hiring karts! you'd watch the karts going round and pick out a favourite (read the one that looked the quickest) then it was a lemans style sprint to your pick when its your turn! ahahahha good times

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
this is the track

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

handyandy

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
i,ve no experience of karting but when i raced bikes for a semi pro team my team mate was 3 stone heavier than me, we rode the same bike & the lap times were very similar between us,
tho i,ll be honest & admit my team mate was in my opinion a better rider than me, we used to discuss various ways of us both going quicker etc, over winter he lost 2 stone in weight & his lap times reduced by about 1 second per lap (1.37 miles ), this doesn,t sound much but in a 20 lap race, well thats 20 seconds quicker than previous season, that can be the difference of winning or coming 10th place etc, so i,d say you were probably losing at least a second or two once you were rolling.
sounds like you are quick if you are that close to the lap record

andy

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 14/15 stone and always enjoy karting with work, as its great fun beating the bosses.

There was one big dude there, who was always pretty quick, whilst he never beat me, he'd drive the track differently to me, and use his weight to take corners in ways that I would spin out trying to imitate. I guess weight has its advantages as well as disadvantages.

26 seconds is one SHORT track. There is a great one in warrington that I got within a few seconds of the lap record at, except the laps are over a minute there.

hellbent345

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
looks like a long straight kind of track doesnt it? does that mean its better for heavier people or worse?

blakep82

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, that track is kind of more straights than corners. i'd say it was acceleration and top speed that would have let you down there

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

the_fbi

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Also depends on the power of the karts.

We have some drivers who take us over the 175kg (minimum) limit for our series by quite a way, and they're still as quick as the guys at 175kg.

Weight over the back axle can be good as it gives better traction when braking and also forces the outside tyre into the ground more on hard cornering so turn in can be better.

23 seconds for a lap is a really really short circuit, unless its quite a quick kart, in which case it may just be quite a short circuit.

The circuit doesn't look that short, any iea what engine(s) they were?

dmac

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Dangle-kt, if you are overweight (like me) you have to drive to minimise your speed loss on the corners but you can usually take the fast corners faster than your lighter opponents so it does even out in terms of lap times. You can't avoid losing time at the start though so you have to be able to overtake somewhere to win.

Duncan

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
its an anticlokwise track btw about 500m. For a 24.8 lap makes my average speed approx 45 mph?!?!? Is that right? didn't think we were going that fast or they're telling porkies about how long the track is.

apparently they were 13hp karts

i think the handling was different for me actually, if the back started to go, it went a lot slower than for the others and subsequently was easier to correct.

I think i could have got another .3 or.4 if i'd have a clear half hour and sector times to study.

On the top half of the lap i was able to take at full throttle from mid corner on the right hair ish pin untill braking for the one on the left and folk were still breezing past on the straights and braking zones

[Edited on 30/5/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

TMC Motorsport

posted on 31/5/09 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
In my limited experience, karting is all about momentum, and while the heftier chap is going to have more of this at any one point, it also subsides quicker thanks to he greater rolling resistance the balast creates.
Therefore you have to compensate with driving style, which will mean taking slightly wider lines in the tight turns to allow you to carry more speed, and keeping steering inputs to an absolute minimum.
The fly weights can get away with several sharp steering inputs to maximise the grip, but if you're a bigger chap you need to keep it much smoother to avoid any slides, as this will instantly sap the momentum. The bonus here is the extra weight will aid the kart on turn in and naturally give you the grip that the lighter chap is working so hard to find.
Unfortunately the lack of acceleration off the start is very difficult to overcome, but after you have built up the speed a smooth syle should see you progress. It does mean you have to be super accurate at all times though, as one mistake will cost you a lot more when you need to get going again than it will for a lighter driver.
A longer circuit, and more powerful, twin engined karts, would have seen less of a deficit IMO.

Kartdad

posted on 31/5/09 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
I race my son in a weight limited class and we aim (with fuel as the ballance) to be max 1KG over weight at the end of a race. As the kids grow up and go over their weight the dissadvantage is massive basically they seldom win Driver + Kart 139Kg only takes a growth spurt to loose 5% to the rest of the grid. In my opinion there is no advantage on any track by being heivier, what you may gain in inertia you lose in getting there. We have raced for 6 years wit limited success but enjoy every day out, which is the most important bit.
will121

posted on 31/5/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
its adictive, as all said mainly going to be acceleration out of slower corners, would be interesting if you had another go on a damp or wet track when the extra bias may help. different tracks will have different fors and againsts
Also depends on kart, in my case early 90's racing 250E gearbox Karts, me on the right had to add a ton of lead

Tiger Super Six

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I race karts at club level and should be in a 'heavies' grid but race with the normal seniors.

In honesty 1.5 seconds off of the top guys on a 23 second lap is a huge amount of time. It will be down to weight but as mentioned you will be quicker through the corners given the extra weight you will have pushing the tyres into the track and giving more grip. You will then lose out on acceleration out of the corners and top end speed.

Being a chunky driver probably will make you a better driver in the end as you have to be smooth and not lose any time sliding the kart around to keep in touch with the lighter guys who can then accelerate if they make a mistake. That kind of driver will be at the back of their weight class and if you're good you will be able to race them. If you then go with others in you weight class you will be at the front of the grid.

Trying to cut a 1.5 seconds off your laptime is not easy.

Mark

Tiger Avon

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem, love karting but have a power-weight problem. Whenever I have been karting with people from work etc. I am always quite a bit faster through corners and once I've reached Vmax it's fine, but off the line, or if I slide the kart and lose momentum I'm stuffed.
Bitten hero

posted on 31/5/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
HI, had much same prob only way is to lose weight. sorry , ran a team in endurance karting and orgaisised the rye house prokart champs with my team mate. and i ended up doing the slimfast way .limited power will never accept heavy weights. there is certain things you can do to help but basically you have to slow the extra weight down so you brake earlier and then when you apply the power it takes longer to get going in the wet on slicks there is a small advantage at certain times but really the only way to really get up the front is just over the min weight .gary

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.