Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Oil Pump
philhoward

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Oil Pump

I have just rebuilt my Pinto engine and have fitted a high pressure oil pump. (Running at approx 90psi when cold and driving it). The oil filter sealing ring blew out the other day and put oil everywhere. I thought it must have been me and not tightened it enough. Anyway it did it again today when trying to start it from cold.

My guess is that the pressure relief valve has either stuck of I have a problem somewhere else.
I am going to drop the sump. Should I replace the oil pump with another high pressure one, or go for a standard one? I believe that the standard ones run at approx 55psi. Would this be enough pressure?

Gaskets for Cassics are selling normal ones for about £19.00. Has anyone used these ones?

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
55 PSI is fine. Running high pressure pumps saps engine power, heats up the oil more and doesn't really provide any more bearing protection.
omega0684

posted on 31/5/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
a normal pinto oil pump has plenty of umph to do the job.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 1/6/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
i have a burtons HP oil pump fitted and it only runs at 60 psi... dropping off aquite a lot when idiling with engine hot...

i do have an oil cooler fitted though....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.