Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Acewell Speedometers?
C10CoryM

posted on 4/6/09 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Acewell Speedometers?

Hey guys,

I know a number of you have Acewell speedos on your cars. Just wondering if you like them and how they are holding up. I'd assume if they are building them for dirtbikes etc they can handle the abuse of a car well enough.
Also, do you find the screen easy to read in the sun, and is it large enough?

Specifically I am looking at the ACE-3969 but it is not common here in Canada. Will have to special order it, or order from a UK or AU supplier.
Cheers,
Cory Rescued attachment ACE3969.jpg
Rescued attachment ACE3969.jpg

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C10CoryM

posted on 4/6/09 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Also, if someone could measure the actual screen size I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Cory

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 4/6/09 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yes another colonist wants to know.
oldtimer

posted on 4/6/09 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have a different model but appears the same dimensions. Screen size is 65mm x 40mm +/- a mm and max unit dimensions125mm x 80mm. So, small indeed. Can't tell you how it is as it's still in the box but others will I'm sure.
coozer

posted on 4/6/09 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I have one on my car, it works very well. I had it mounted on the dash before and is very easy to see, all the numbers are big enough to see at a glance. Now i have it mounted on the cowl behind the steering wheel only because I didn't want to drill any holes in my new CF dash!

Only complaint I have is the tacho drops out above 7K but that's probably a function of how I have it wired more than the unit itself.

All in all was good for SVA does all the major dash functions and is very good value for money.

Screen is about 3" square from memory. I'll measure the digits when I get home the night. plenty big enough t oread and a backlight gives it a nice glow in the dark.

There are some pics in my blog, and here's one I took earlier.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bigpig

posted on 4/6/09 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one on my Pinto, works well, was easy to fit and set up.

Display size is good, I have mine in the centre of the dash and is easy to see.

The hazard and neutral lights are wasted, and unfortunatly you can't pop out the lenses to put your own ones in, but other than that its really good. You can get an extension to the speed sensor but I just soldered on in myself.

The dash surround is plastic (some other brands use billet ally) but its not a problem.

The car engine based car (with no neutral light) is a bit of a pain to get hold of, but I guess my post IVA project will be to cut out the instrument logos and make up some inserts.

l0c0st

posted on 4/6/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the slight hi-jack, but I've got a 3250 and read somewhere that function button on the front needs to be disabled/covered for IVA so the display can't be changed to show anything other than the speed.

Can anyone confirm this, before I start making a dash to cover the button/s.

Cheers

Dom

russbost

posted on 4/6/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Cory

I sell these units & do a 15% discount to Locosters dealing direct with me rather than thro Ebay.

The display is easily read in the sun, but if the unit is in very bright sunlight (open top car) then the warning lights can be a little difficult to see.

The display size you've been given above is correct, the comment re tacho dropout is almost certainly due to a poorly setup pickup - there are acouple of different ways you can sense the tacho.

Don't get confused by all the different no.s used for Acewell, basically there are only 2 types of this computer. The 3250 which is the same as the
silver/black unit you've pictured & the 3251 which has an all black casing, a faster processor which may allow a speedo feed from a gearbox sensor (extra cables and resistors may be required), the facility to display N (Neutral) or R (Reverse) on the actual LCD display rather than on the warning lights
surround & additional versatility on the fuel gauge settings. The 3251 is a
fiver dearer.

Isell the 3250 with a surround with the same warning lamps as the one you've pictured but with the engine warning symbol replaced with foglamp warning lamp for £159.95 plus P & P, less the discount comes out at £135.95.

Let me know if i can be of any assistance,
Cheers Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
oldtimer

posted on 4/6/09 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
It has been on here as SVA/IVA fail if you can switch speed off - not sure where it says that in the manual. I think that just means covering the buttons for test rather than not using the item at all - I've one and will be covering not replacing.
craig1410

posted on 4/6/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I've got one of this type of device (forget the exact model number - 3853 maybe?) Anyway, it is really good and I'm pleased I bought it. I didn't use the warning light enclosure since at the time the warning lights didn't cover one of the SVA requirements (a few years ago so maybe not a problem now) so I bought a Bright-6 module instead. I didn't have any issues at SVA despite the buttons being accessible although some people have been pulled up on this issue. The inspector did ask me if the backlight was always on and I said yes.

Visibility is good in all light levels - I have mine fitted behind my steering wheel.

Cheers,
Craig.

C10CoryM

posted on 4/6/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

Russ, do you know if the 3969 is a 3250 or a 3251? Does a temp sender come with both 3250 or a 3251?
Thanks,
Cory

russbost

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Cory
The 3969 must be a 3250 because the 3251 casing is all black, no silver.
Temp sender SHOULD be supplied with all units but check with the supplier, because as prices went up recently due to the £ vs the $ some people are leaving them out of the spec to make the base price look lower!

Regards Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Humbug

posted on 5/6/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
I must say that I don't personally like the look of those rectangular speedos (IMHO only, don't shoot me down if you love them!), though they seem to have most/all of the functions you would need.

After I was SVAd I found this more analog-looking Acewell which could look cool in a c/f dash with nothing else on it - I prefer the more traditional look, though it still has lots of functions as well. I think there is a car version without Neutral, etc. linky re ACE2859

C10CoryM

posted on 7/6/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ.
I have a supplier here seeing if he can get the 3969. I would prefer the added features of the 3251 though so not sure.

I'd consider one of those round ones except they dont have all the features like a shift light, and the tach is for high revving bikes. Be hard to read under 6000rpm.
I think the other style will be better, and they look good if sunk into the dash.
Cheers.

mad-butcher

posted on 8/6/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I can strongly recommend russ, I wanted a surround to go with my unit to replace the bright 6, and russ went out of his way to try and locate one for me, unfortunately they have now changed the configuration of the surrounds so I'm now saving up for a new one, the one thing I was impressed with was the fact the magnet was in a threaded body so just a case of drilling and tapping a hole in the lobro joint and wee easy to calibrate. also like the bar graph revcounter and the ability to have a digital tacho as well

tony

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.