Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor - Keep SORN or scrap.
Cheffy

posted on 7/6/09 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Donor - Keep SORN or scrap.

Morning all,

I stripped down my Sierra donor several years ago. I saved pretty much everything off the car and scrapped the chassis/body. Since then I have SORN the vehicle each year so I could retain the donors age related number.

However, in the meantime my plans have changed quite a bit and I'm not going to use enough of the original donor to be able to use the donor's number.

So just checking, before I notify DVLA that I have scrapped the car can anybody see any benefit to keeping it SORN or should I just go ahead and notify them that it's been scrapped?

TIA,

Martin.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Snuggs

posted on 7/6/09 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
You probably wouldn't get the donor's reg anyway but would be allocated an age related plate.

The donor's V5 is very useful to prove the engine's age.( A photocopy of the V5 will not be accepted by the IVA inspector)

Also useful if you have used any donor parts in your build.

[Edited on 7/6/09 by Snuggs]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

The Baron

posted on 7/6/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I kept my Sierra Donor on a sorn for 3 years even though the car didnt actually exist anymore, as mentioned, its a very easy wasy to prove the age of the engine. It also helps if you would like a age related plate.

B

ReMan

posted on 7/6/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
You would never get the doners number, bu what you can get is an age related rather than a Q plate.
Which you coult then change for a personal plate...
Its not hard to convince dvla that youve got enoungh doner to get one.
Harder to convince its all brand new with the exception of 1 recon item to get a cuurent new plate.
So id say keep it?

[Edited on 7/6/09 by ReMan]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/6/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
keep it, you never know they may still give you an age related plate. Random and incompetant are words that best describes DVLA.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

bob

posted on 7/6/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I only used SORN for the 1st year, didnt realise you had to renew each year. In the 2nd year i recieved a fine of £80 for keeping an untaxed car which i didnt pay,so ended up with a Q plate which i am now happier about anyway.

So if you want to try for an age related plate keep the V5 on SORN.

Cheffy

posted on 7/6/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response guys.

I'll get it SORN again then and hang onto the V5 for now.

Cheers,

MArt.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FEZ1025

posted on 7/6/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
You have to remember that the DVLA are pencil pushers & not engineers, pretty sure you could turn up with a V5C from a Mini & have a kit with a V12 Jag engine in it & as long as the engine number matched & the stated capacity was the same as the one on the V5C they wouldn't care or more importantly know.

I know somebody who turned up with a kit at DVLA & got an age related plate based on the V5C. Although by that time I would suspect nothing on the kit came from the original donor. The engine number & capacity had been changed even though the car had been scrapped (physically) before the engine was bought. Although I don't think you can do that anymore they want proof it has been fitted to the original.

Alan...

Ninehigh

posted on 8/6/09 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
You would never get the doners number

Why not if most of that car still exists in a new shell?

Vindi_andy

posted on 8/6/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
DON'T scrap it.

I did and had an awful job trying to get age related plate. If you scrap the vehicle the donor identity is destroyed and there is no way to confirm the age of the donor so in theory you will get a Q plate.

I only got an age related plate through a lot of persistance and arguing that I had been incorrectly advised and Had loads of physical evidence regarding the donor parts i.e. photos of me taking the bits out.

See my new post regarding how I got an age related plate

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.